FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Video Review Win A Trip

[ODIN][UCLB3] AT&T 2.3.6 Gingerbread with root and CWM recovery option - Infuse 4g

n/a posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By jscott30, Guest on 22nd April 2012, 08:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th May 2012, 09:32 PM |#101  
RC-RT Committee Lead / Senior Moderator - Judgment is Coming
Flag Mega-City One
Thanks Meter: 52,071

Donate to Me
More
Just did option c....gtg Good to Go!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to Judge Joseph Dredd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Judge Joseph Dredd Ad-Free

24th May 2012, 10:11 PM |#102  
Flag Long Beach
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott30

That said, to clear up some confusion, bootloaders themselves aren't bad. You need them to boot your operating system. Gingerbread bootloaders are desirable to boot Gingerbread and ICS roms on our phones because they were designed to do that - and do that without rainbow bugs that people see when they stay with Froyo bootloaders.

If the majority of us will be flashing Gingerbread and ICS roms, why take out the Gingerbread bootloaders and make it as an optional install which makes it risky for an unfortunate flash if it ever happens?

So what bootloader does these packages comes with? Or are they without bootloaders?

I'm still new in understanding all of these components. So our phones can run these roms without a bootloader or must a bootloader be utilized?
jscott30
24th May 2012, 11:30 PM |#103  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinvid

If the majority of us will be flashing Gingerbread and ICS roms, why take out the Gingerbread bootloaders and make it as an optional install which makes it risky for an unfortunate flash if it ever happens?

So what bootloader does these packages comes with? Or are they without bootloaders?

I'm still new in understanding all of these components. So our phones can run these roms without a bootloader or must a bootloader be utilized?

There are no bootloaders in these rooted UCLB3 packages, so you keep those already on your phone. Only those who have and are bothered by rainbow artifacts at boot and in recovery should update to GB bootloaders. UCLB3 runs fine on Froyo bootloaders other than the rainbow distortion in recovery and at boot. Also, many people already have GB bootloaders. It isn't good practice to flash bootloaders over and over, as a failed flash of bootloaders will brick your phone. Since flashing bootloaders is a risky operation, there is no need for everyone to flash them when using the rooted UCLB3 packages. That's why they have been made available as a separate package.

Some examples:

People who've already used Kies to get the official UCLB3 update - already have GB bootloaders
People who've already flashed an earlier GB leak using Odin or Heimdall - most likely already have GB bootloaders
People who've already been using GB and ICS roms - might have already flashed GB bootloaders

So, it isn't good to have a package that includes them by default, because many won't need them. Better to just flash them separately, and flash them once, because once you've got them, you've got them. Most development packages on xda don't include them for these same reasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
25th May 2012, 12:15 AM |#104  
Flag Long Beach

More
Quote:

There are no bootloaders in these rooted UCLB3 packages, so you keep those already on your phone. Only those who are bothered by some rainbow artifacts at boot and in recovery should update to GB bootloaders. Since flashing bootloaders is a risky operation, there is no need for everyone to flash them when using the rooted UCLB3 packages.

I easily rooted my Infuse because it was still on the Froyo 2.2.1. Assuming the phone has FROYO bootloaders, if I was to ODIN flash to one of these Gingerbread 2.3.6 UCLB3 package, my FROYO bootloader will carry on to this rooted UCLB3 package?

My plan is to run my Infuse on a stock but rooted Gingerbread rom for now. Eventually I will move on to custom roms. These custom roms states in their posting that in order to flash the rom, I need to be on Gingerbread bootloaders.

Which flashing methods should I proceed with?

Coming from FROYO:
1. ODIN flash one of these rooted UCLB3 package
2. ODIN flash the Gingerbread bootloader
3. Flash away

or

Coming from FROYO:
1. Update to Gingerbread 2.3.6 through Samsung Kies (thus obtaining Gingerbread bootloaders)
2. ODIN flash one of these rooted UCLB3 package
3. Flash away

THANKS FOR CLARIFYING!

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Quote:

Today at 03:13 PM.

LOL..more clarifications, thank you!
jscott30
25th May 2012, 12:18 AM |#105  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinvid

Coming from FROYO:
1. ODIN flash one of these rooted UCLB3 package
2. ODIN flash the Gingerbread bootloader
3. Flash away

This will be your best route. Doing the Odin flash of the rooted UCLB3 package will test whether you can successfully do an Odin flash. If you can, you will be safe to go ahead and flash the GB bootloaders package.

Since it sounds like you want to test out some other ROMS, go ahead and use Option C, which already has CWM recovery.
25th May 2012, 12:36 AM |#106  
Flag Long Beach

More
Quote:

This will be your best route. Doing the Odin flash of the rooted UCLB3 package will test whether you can successfully do an Odin flash. If you can, you will be safe to go ahead and flash the GB bootloaders package.

Since it sounds like you want to test out some other ROMS, go ahead and use Option C, which already has CWM recovery.

Thanks for giving me a better understanding of all of this. Coming from an iPhone jailbreaker lol...I find Android rooting/flashing to be more involved and challenging.

Another thing, I have Samsung Kies mini installed. Is the Samsung drivers obtained from the Kies mini version adequate for the ODIN flashing or should I go with drivers from the regular Samsung Kies you specified?
jscott30
25th May 2012, 12:56 AM |#107  

More
Kies mini drivers should work the same. Good luck.

26th May 2012, 05:27 AM |#108  
Flag Houston, Texas
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Hey guys I need a bit of help. So I'm on Zeus Build 6, right. So I want to flash CM9, which of these should I use? I've downloaded "A", will I still have a safe flash of CM9 if I flash from choice "C"?

26th May 2012, 05:43 AM |#109  
Flag Houston, Texas

More
Cause "C" seems like an easier option cause it already has Red CWM

jscott30
26th May 2012, 05:50 AM |#110  

More
If you plan to flash CM9 or any other ROM, you'll need CWM recovery. So you want Option C if you use one of these packages.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
26th May 2012, 06:45 AM |#111  
Flag Houston, Texas

More
Ok thanks, Ill use option "c" then. I was just skeptical cause option "c" doesn't seem like stock with all the other stuff added.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)