How Do YOU Like This Device?? [I am looking to purchase]

Search This thread

Closed Source Project

Mar 31, 2012
The Windy City, Chicago, Illinois
I would recommend you try installing the Swype keyboard, which allows you to just swish your finger around the letters of a word instead of exact hunting & pecking. Once you get the hang of it, it's very quick and easy.

Only problem I've found using Swype on the One S is that the One S doesn't have a trackball, and the cursor keys are on an alternate Swype keyboard, needing a extra swype to display it and a key touch to remove it.

+1 Swype is very good. I once disabled it and tried to use the stock keyboard on my device and I felt lost. At least give it a try if you are not used to non-Swype keyboards.

Doesn't HTC's keyboard allow for swiping gestures like Swype? I thought I seen it in a video somewhere...

dlorde

Aug 13, 2010
Doesn't HTC's keyboard allow for swiping gestures like Swype? I thought I seen it in a video somewhere...

It does, but it's not as good (also, I'd been using Swype on my previous HTC Desire, so had got used to it).

I just discovered the 'reticule' that allows you to move the cursor by tapping on the text and pressing and sliding the marker that appears. It gives a magnified view to help position the cursor, much like the iPhone.

ncinsfl

May 24, 2012
It's worth it.

I'm going to give my full review, so please excuse the fluff, but I think its relevent in the new 'One' world.

I bought one because I wasn't happy with Sprint in my area. I really wanted the One X because of igher resolution screen, but I wasn't happy with hearing this is only under AT&T.

The One S is smaller, it is actually testing faster (benchmark) than the One X. The Sprint Eco LTE is very nice, but it's like buying a Corvett without gas! A wonderful phone withought the network to back it up. Unless you're in a Sprint LTE region, you'll be left wanting more than Sprints .38mbps 3G (supposed to be).

AT&T is a great network, it I have personal reasons for not liking them. If its the One X you want go with AT&T.

If its a fast network at a good price, go TMobile (as long as you have coverage in your area).

The reasons. T-Mobile will only work fully with the One S because of what's onside. The HSPA42 is fast. I get between 10-15 mbps in my house, 10mbps at work and average 7mbps in travel. Compare this to others (I've only had Sprint so I don't know how AT&T weighs in terms of speed).

If you flash the One X to T-Mobile, you're going to get super slow Edge. Mayne prepay is the only logical option for flashed users.

I was hesitant in buying the One S because, it has a dif processor, smaller low res screen, lower quality face cam and not on LTE. I decided to give it a try and I'm amazed.

I get free tethering, 5GB 4G then unlited throttled speed & unlimited minutes, text, WiFi calling all for $115 month. I've done benchmark testing and have come up ahead (by far). I'm faster than the Sam S2, Note and others (Even One X). The screen is super vivid and bright. The camera is worthy, the speed of the processing is on point and ill agree that the size is on point too.

Cons: this little sucker gets warm on 4G. The front camera leaves you wanting, the screen isn't the absolute best

Pros: lightweight, fast, great speed of network, decent battery and very responsive.

Middle of the road: SD card (none)

In a nutshell: this phone is a powerful, fast and most up to date handset out. For the money It's worth it.

dragion

Thanks. I'm pretty much set on buying it. Especially since I found out I can get it for only $200 at Bestbuy with a contract extension. Did anyone opt for the 200$ with contract extension? I believe it will work for people with pre-existing contracts.

I extended my contract and purchased my One S on release day @ T-Mobile Store.
First went to Bestbuy, since they were selling for $200 w/contract, but they were only selling the One S as a mail only order...not directly from the store.
Would have to be shipped to me and not received for another 2-3 business days and with no data transfer...I would need to bring it in to them to do it.

I went over to T-Mobile and got it for $250 w/ $50 mail-in-rebate.
Had all my data transferred from my HD2 to my One S, also grabbed me a bodyglove case to keep it safe (I ended returning it and got the HTC/T-Mobile screen protector instead and w/the 30% off coupon, I got $20 back.
I know have the Cruzerlite Clear Android Case...perfect case for the One S.

Best phone I've ever own! :cool:

jacewt

Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles
Thanks. I'm pretty much set on buying it. Especially since I found out I can get it for only $200 at Bestbuy with a contract extension. Did anyone opt for the 200$ with contract extension? I believe it will work for people with pre-existing contracts.

Oh, unless you mean you aren't quite at 2 years on contract. Then, nevermind :p but for anyone whose contract is up, this is a good price.

You can get it for less, 125, hold on. Let me get a link.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/05/wirefly-memorial-day-sale-offers-extra-25-discount-on-htc-one-s/

Wish I'd waited, but I didn't do too bad for 185 at costco.

dlorde

Aug 13, 2010
We seem to have it fairly good in the UK for contracts - I got a free upgrade to the HOS (on 2 year contract) from my old HTC Desire, two months before the old 2 year contract expired. I'm now paying less (~$44pm) than I was for the old phone, and get 1GB free wifi hotspot use + 500Mb network data, unlimited texts & 300 mins of calls. I could have got it a tiny bit cheaper through a 3rd party, but didn't want the complications if something went wrong.

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
I'm going to give my full review, so please excuse the fluff, but I think its relevent in the new 'One' world.

I bought one because I wasn't happy with Sprint in my area. I really wanted the One X because of igher resolution screen, but I wasn't happy with hearing this is only under AT&T.

The One S is smaller, it is actually testing faster (benchmark) than the One X. The Sprint Eco LTE is very nice, but it's like buying a Corvett without gas! A wonderful phone withought the network to back it up. Unless you're in a Sprint LTE region, you'll be left wanting more than Sprints .38mbps 3G (supposed to be).

AT&T is a great network, it I have personal reasons for not liking them. If its the One X you want go with AT&T.

If its a fast network at a good price, go TMobile (as long as you have coverage in your area).

The reasons. T-Mobile will only work fully with the One S because of what's onside. The HSPA42 is fast. I get between 10-15 mbps in my house, 10mbps at work and average 7mbps in travel. Compare this to others (I've only had Sprint so I don't know how AT&T weighs in terms of speed).

If you flash the One X to T-Mobile, you're going to get super slow Edge. Mayne prepay is the only logical option for flashed users.

I was hesitant in buying the One S because, it has a dif processor, smaller low res screen, lower quality face cam and not on LTE. I decided to give it a try and I'm amazed.

I get free tethering, 5GB 4G then unlited throttled speed & unlimited minutes, text, WiFi calling all for $115 month. I've done benchmark testing and have come up ahead (by far). I'm faster than the Sam S2, Note and others (Even One X). The screen is super vivid and bright. The camera is worthy, the speed of the processing is on point and ill agree that the size is on point too.

Cons: this little sucker gets warm on 4G. The front camera leaves you wanting, the screen isn't the absolute best

Pros: lightweight, fast, great speed of network, decent battery and very responsive.

Middle of the road: SD card (none)

In a nutshell: this phone is a powerful, fast and most up to date handset out. For the money It's worth it.

What phone did you used to have in sprint? I moved from sprint as well and I'm liking the phone too ans the speeds are so good between 5-16mnps :D coma pare to sprint 0.20-.85mbps on my galaxy nexus (really good phone bad network )

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
Despite poor quality screen, slower CPU, not great camera, and slower modem, I still prefect Galaxy Nexus over One S

s10shane

Jul 30, 2010
Victorville, Ca
Despite poor quality screen, slower CPU, not great camera, and slower modem, I still prefect Galaxy Nexus over One S

Poor quality screen? I think it looks Damn good. Camera is better then the galaxy nexus hands down. CPU is much quicker then the one in the galaxy nexus. I came from the galaxy nexus and the one s is way better expect I miss the bigger screen and the 720p display and that's it and my 4g on the one s is way quicker lol

Sent From My HTC One S Using XDA Premium App

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1337977863779.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337977863779.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 110

Closed Source Project

Mar 31, 2012
The Windy City, Chicago, Illinois
You guys need to chill about the screen quality. Pentile displays are not really that bad and, at least for me, there's not too much of a difference at all between the GN and HOS. And actually, this phone is faster than the GN as it does clock faster. No difference in modem other than the network it runs on, T-Mo can be the fastest at time (sans wimax which is very geographically limited).

luddeblaesild

Feb 22, 2011
Totally in love with this phone, got it yesterday coming from a desire s. Words can't describe the speed combined with the awesome design!

Sent from my HTC One S using xda premium

Fazettit

May 16, 2007
A clear yes. If my device will be lost, I would immediately by a new one.
Design, size, speed and technical specification is great.

dragion

My contract is 1 out of 2 years old. If I extend it I will get it for only 200, correct? Do all bestbuys have this order only or was it only b/c the phone was new? THANKS!!!

As far as I know, my Bestbuy's don't carry it in store...you should ask them if they do around your area.
I was told that they don't "Officially" carry T-Mobile products, but can be ordered.
There are no T-Mobile displays at any of my local Bestbuy stores...they do have all the other carriers though.
They are an "Authorized" T-Mobile dealer.

wilcoholic

Jul 26, 2010
I didn't want a crappy cheap plastic phone (yes even a plastic unibody such as the 1X or lumia 900). I made a list of all the phones that were made out of glass, steel or aluminum and there are only a handful of those devices. The iphone 4s, htc 1S and the sony xperia P. Out of those phones the 1S is the best.

Of course you are going to have to make some compromises when you compare it with phones like the SGS3 or the 1X. For me the premium feel, slimness, krait CPU, cheaper price was enough to trump the display of the 1X which was the only spec I was interested in from the 1X.

murray68w

Mar 21, 2012
Milwaukee
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Love this device. Was coming from HTC sensation and I would say its the next generation of that. I enjoy aopk and being able to root and customize it. Atutu benchmark clocked it at 7230 so I was impressed compared to the 5100 I was getting with the HTC sensation. Rumor has it the sgiii will be out on the 20th of june so it might be worth waiting if that's what you like. Take care.

Sent from my Ville using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My wife shattered her Nexus 1 screen while on vacation and I bought her the S so she could continue to take photos. She and I both have only had plain vanilla Android phones and learning to work with HTC sense was a problem at first (she always wants me to figure out the fine points of the OS). Initially I thought the phone might go back because she has little patience with learning new procedures but as I discovered and showed her how to accomplish tasks with the new phone she came to love it and won't even consider going back to her Nexus which can be cheaply repaired. I've become increasingly impressed with the phones ability while problem solving for her. Thinking I needed a larger screen to replace the hardware keyboard on my G2, I was convinced I wanted to wait on the GS3, the Note or the one X to come to T-mobile before upgrading. After using the One S I'm really tempted to go ahead and get it now rather than waiting. I'm a little awkward on the soft keyboard but can tell I would get used to it while I could never work the one on my smaller screen at all. The phone does everything very very well and the screen seems to be a great compromise of size vs. function. For those who don't care about bragging rights for absolute fastest, biggest, prettiest with the most memory, etc. I can't imagine really needing anything better than the S. It is fast enough, pretty enough and big enough with memory sufficient for all but the most demanding of power users. Those who do need bragging rights are doomed to eternal dissatisfaction as there is always something better on the horizon. Anyone else should be satisfied with the S for many years to come.
    Hello guys,

I am just wondering, how do you guys like this device. I am interested in buying the device (at full price as my T-Mobile contract is not ready for renewal) and was wondering if there are any common complaints / issues to look out for. Thanks so much for helping.

PS: If you have time:
    1) How is battery life? (IE, can it last one day heavy usage)?
    2) Will this work with full HSDPA on T-Mo USA?
    3) Is there a way to toggle the torch to use as a flashlight?
    4) Where exaclty would be the best place to buy this phone without contract in USA? OR Will this work with a standard T-Mo SIM card?
    5) Would anyone recommend me wait for any other device that is soon to come out or is already out instead of this device?

If anyone could answer just one of the above, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

1. No. Most I get out of heavy use is about 6 or 7 hours.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.
    4. I would look on craigslist or Amazon.
    5. I would HIGHLY recommend this device. Unless you're ok with waiting for the SGiii, this is the best you can get for T-Mobile right now.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using XDA
    I use this phone all day streaming, email, xda, general surfing, games and still end up with around 30% battery, pretty good in my book. Physical design, sense and the overall experience is excellent. There are some lemons out there but overall quality is high.

The SGiii offers a few more features in the department of removable storage but overall for the US release these phones are almost on par. (Same dual core CPU)

The most impressive feature is the One S camera. There isn't a phone out there in the world that can touch it, say the One X. I travel so a nice camera is a must.

I would have paid full for price for this phone but I had a ToS change to my contract that helped me convince T-Mobile that they owed me, on top of the issues I had with my G2x.

My wife jumped the apple bandwagon to get one of these phones and she loves it.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using XDA
    Thanks so much, guys. The only issue I heard a reviewer say was that the screen can, at times, almost look pixelated or distorted. Anyone even notice this or is this issue just an extreme nit-pick? Also, is there any noticeable lines that run across the screen in low lighting setting like the GSii?

EDIT:
    One small thing, if anyone bought their phone from website and would like to share the site, please post a link below or PM me. I want to make sure I get the real model and not a banned or stolen model number. Thanks!

AND:
    How does this device work without an SD-Card? Do games that require downloading separate files to run (IE The Sims && Xplane) still work?

Pros:
    Camera
    Excellent battery life
    Speed
    Design

About negative sides some people mention:
    Screen issues - nit-pick
    SDCARD - no problems, phone DOES have a card but it is not removable. Admittably, would have been better to have 32gig version, but this one is enough for almost everything except maybe your video collection.

All in all never regretted it, best phone atm.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda premium
    I had the Galaxy S2 and switched to this phone just to try it out and it is amazing. The build quality is on par with that of the iPhone, the camera is great, battery life is amazing especially compared to the S2, the screen is very nice although pixels can sometimes be seen in high contrast. The one thing I don't like is the lack of a physical home button to unlock the screen as it feels awkward using the top button.