Tutorial Needed...How to create a Theme Chooser Theme

Search This thread

ebs512

Mar 13, 2012
Austin
Since the new theme chooser was released, I am wondering how to create themes for theme chooser, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Eclipse and I have that installed aswell as android SDK and apktool but where to go from here, I'm not looking for making a flashable theme...

DaXmax

Sep 16, 2008
Singapore
Since the new theme chooser was released, I am wondering how to create themes for theme chooser, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Eclipse and I have that installed aswell as android SDK and apktool but where to go from here, I'm not looking for making a flashable theme...

When you do theming, you do not need eclipse anymore.

You need:

-XML Editing (Notepad++)
-PNG Editing (from scratch use Photoshop / from editing use GIMP)
-Compiling tools (apktool.jar)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: v3rk and ebs512

ebs512

Mar 13, 2012
Austin
so do I still edit the SystemUI and framework-res or do I edit themechooser.apk? And how would I get it to a format the theme chooser would read, obviously it needs to be an apk to install it?

DaXmax

Sep 16, 2008
Singapore
so do I still edit the SystemUI and framework-res or do I edit themechooser.apk? And how would I get it to a format the theme chooser would read, obviously it needs to be an apk to install it?

No. You will just have to make an apk. A templatebread can be found in nhnt11's thread... See that thread, its very useful...

Reactions: v3rk and ebs512

ebs512

Mar 13, 2012
Austin
No. You will just have to make an apk. A templatebread can be found in nhnt11's thread... See that thread, its very useful...

I might be mistaken, but I believe you (or someone else) said the holo series of themes should be used as the template???

ebs512

Mar 13, 2012
Austin
I edited a theme chooser theme that was already available and I'm ready to recompile it after batch editing several hundered PNG files in multiple drawable files and edited the androidmanifest.xml aswell as /values/strings.xml and /values/styles.xml and made sure the names matched now I'm getting the following when recompiling, have tried several aapt.exe files and apktool.jar files, still not working...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Kristy>cd C:\Users\Kristy\Desktop\Eric

C:\Users\Kristy\Desktop\Eric>apktool b unglued unglued.apk
I: Checking whether sources has changed...
I: Checking whether resources has changed...
I: Building resources...
and just hangs then says 6 errors

Last edited:

ebs512

Mar 13, 2012
Austin
what are the errors? copy and paste it in code

Code:
here

I tried to copy and paste it but all it would copy is that 1st part and my gf is on the PC right now but the error said something bout apktool in temporary directory and something about aapt and android manifest but it decompiled just fine, maybe I'm not allowed to modify a theme apk?

425760e0-86da-bc27.jpg

Any ideas?
Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

the1dynasty

Dec 16, 2011
I'm on my phone and it's hard to see that... but if you copy the text from the log.txt you should be able to paste it here...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

the1dynasty

Dec 16, 2011
I use apkmanager and mine is in the same folder as my script.bat that I use to compile

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

ebs512

Mar 13, 2012
Austin
I: Checking whether sources has changed...
I: Smaling...
I: Checking whether resources has changed...
I: Building resources...
C:\Users\Kristy\Downloads\Apk_Manager_5.0.2\other\..\projects\unglued.apk\AndroidManifest.xml:8: error: Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'styleId' with value '@style/Unglued').
Exception in thread "main" brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec command: [aapt, p, -F, C:\Users\Kristy\AppData\Local\Temp\APKTOOL6226631244967728402.tmp, -x, -I, C:\Users\Kristy\apktool\framework\1.apk, -S, C:\Users\Kristy\Downloads\Apk_Manager_5.0.2\other\..\projects\unglued.apk\res, -M, C:\Users\Kristy\Downloads\Apk_Manager_5.0.2\other\..\projects\unglued.apk\AndroidManifest.xml]
at brut.androlib.res.AndrolibResources.aaptPackage(AndrolibResources.java:193)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResourcesFull(Androlib.java:301)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResources(Androlib.java:248)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:171)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:154)
at brut.apktool.Main.cmdBuild(Main.java:174)
at brut.apktool.Main.main(Main.java:59)
Caused by: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec command: [aapt, p, -F, C:\Users\Kristy\AppData\Local\Temp\APKTOOL6226631244967728402.tmp, -x, -I, C:\Users\Kristy\apktool\framework\1.apk, -S, C:\Users\Kristy\Downloads\Apk_Manager_5.0.2\other\..\projects\unglued.apk\res, -M, C:\Users\Kristy\Downloads\Apk_Manager_5.0.2\other\..\projects\unglued.apk\AndroidManifest.xml]
at brut.util.OS.exec(OS.java:83)
at brut.androlib.res.AndrolibResources.aaptPackage(AndrolibResources.java:191)
... 6 more
The system cannot find the file specified.

I figured out in the Styles.xml it wasn't the same style name that I had put into the androidmanifest.xml and strings.xml, attempting to recompile again to see if that works...it didnt work apparently you can't edit an already themed apk because when you try to change the string name it calls for the original name given so I guess start from the holo series next...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts