FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor View 10

PSA: Clear Google Wallet Settings Before Flashing ROM/Hard Resets!

820 posts
Thanks Meter: 675

By TaintedByte, Senior Member on 27th May 2012, 01:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th May 2012, 08:54 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHausx

How exactly does one need to clear wallet in order for it to be safe?

Exactly how the OP describes - within Wallet. As mentioned above, the only application (for now) with access to the secure element is Google Wallet. Clearing data from within Wallet prior to flashing should keep you safe.

In case anyone's wondering, it's not necessary to clear Google Wallet prior to an OTA update.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveNFC For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LoveNFC Ad-Free

27th May 2012, 09:08 PM |#42  
Flag Strong Beach
Thanks Meter: 114

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveNFC

Exactly how the OP describes - within Wallet. As mentioned above, the only application (for now) with access to the secure element is Google Wallet. Clearing data from within Wallet prior to flashing should keep you safe.

In case anyone's wondering, it's not necessary to clear Google Wallet prior to an OTA update.

OTA update is very much safe for the Unrooted stock, then there's the rest where we do not update at until mod's have been done to prior release of an OTA pulled from an RUU. I am looking at from a view with users are constantly flashing.
27th May 2012, 09:12 PM |#43  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 4,553

More
I wonder if all the wallet info is saved in the app's directory or scattered. The recoveries could be set up to preserve the needed info so that it never gets changed when switching between ROMs.
The Following User Says Thank You to xHausx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xHausx Ad-Free
27th May 2012, 09:17 PM |#44  
Flag Strong Beach

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHausx

I wonder if all the wallet info is saved in the app's directory or scattered. The recoveries could be set up to preserve the needed info so that it never gets changed when switching between ROMs.

in search mode now
27th May 2012, 09:28 PM |#45  
Flag Newport beach
Thanks Meter: 108

More
I never cleared settings in wallet when I would flash roms with my nexus s 4g and I used wallet everyday to make purchases and never had an issue.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
27th May 2012, 09:30 PM |#46  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 4,553

More
The wallet data would most likely be under /data, the system partition only changes during updates.
27th May 2012, 09:36 PM |#47  
Flag Strong Beach

Donate to Me
More
have it open, give me a sec
27th May 2012, 09:36 PM |#48  
Thanks Meter: 898

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep3n3wp

I never cleared settings in wallet when I would flash roms with my nexus s 4g and I used wallet everyday to make purchases and never had an issue.

My guess is google changed the way it works on new phones somehow after getting hammered for lack of security on NFC awhile ago. And probably has something to do with hw somehow.
The Following User Says Thank You to ckoadiyn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ckoadiyn Ad-Free
27th May 2012, 09:53 PM |#49  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Temple
Thanks Meter: 862

Donate to Me
More
I just wanted to speak my experience with this. I rooted my phone on Thursday night and noticed an unsupported device error in Google Wallet . I ran RUU Friday morning. All before seeing this post. I just went to Rite Aid and bought a Monster using Google Wallet. I don't understand what the problem is. Worked fine for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to HeckNoTechnO For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HeckNoTechnO Ad-Free
27th May 2012, 10:42 PM |#50  
Flag Newport beach
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckoadiyn

My guess is google changed the way it works on new phones somehow after getting hammered for lack of security on NFC awhile ago. And probably has something to do with hw somehow.

That's what I thought only applies to newer devices

28th May 2012, 12:32 AM |#51  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 675

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveNFC

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Yeah I will be updating the OP to clear up most of these misunderstandings and clear up my language a bit to make it less confusing xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebeam

I just wanted to speak my experience with this. I rooted my phone on Thursday night and noticed an unsupported device error in Google Wallet . I ran RUU Friday morning. All before seeing this post. I just went to Rite Aid and bought a Monster using Google Wallet. I don't understand what the problem is. Worked fine for me.

That error is not what we are talking about. It's normal for root users to see that the device is not supported, it will work regardless. You would run into the issue if you right now you flashed another ROM (or did a hard reset) over the current one without wiping the secure element data through Google Wallet.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
brick, nfc, responding, secure, wallet

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)