[Q] IPS display on Nitro vs iPhone4/4S

Search This thread

chinesecooler

May 28, 2012
Hi guys,

I would just like to get some feedback regarding the IPS screen on the Nitro. I have been using iPhone 4 for around 2 years and would like to switch to an HD android phone. However I think I am kind of spoiled by the IPS display on the iPhone as it is simply the best I have seen so far. I have compared it with others like SAMOLED+, HD SAMOLED(Pentile) or the SLCD2 and I still find it to be the most comfortable to look at. I dont have a chance to look at the Nitro screen in person as it is not available in Australia so I was thinking I can use some feedback from actual users.

Personally I think the SAMOLEDs are a bit too colorful and the SLCD2 is still a little bit washed-out. I have read some reviews on the internet and it seems like the IPS on the Nitro is not as bright as the one on iPhone but I am not too sure if it is true. So what do you guys think of the screen comparing to the ones on iPhone 4/4s in terms of contrast, brightness and color accuracy?

Thanks heaps!:D

Max

gmkelly001

Dec 28, 2006
LG makes the retina display for the iPhone 4/4s. It's the exact same technology in both displays, with the same ppi, but the Nitro has a higher resolution.

Sent from my LG-P930 using XDA

Victor B

Sep 11, 2011
The display is phenomenal, but it's the software running the display that will make you scratch your head. Gingerbread isn't optimized to run a display of this resolution. There is banding on gradients and certain times you will look at the screen and make you doubt it.

However, when ICS hits, it'll all be cleared up. It's still the best display that I've sen on an Android phone yet. I returned my Galaxy Nexus for this phone. There is no replacement for sharpness and color accuracy, both of which this phone has.

If coming from an iPhone, you won't be disappointed.

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
The ppi is definitely negligible, but as a former iPhone 4 user myself, I can assure you the Nitro HD's screen is just as great with the added benefit of being large enough for true HD. I wouldn't ever take an iPhone again. Way too small.

chinesecooler

May 28, 2012
The ppi is definitely negligible, but as a former iPhone 4 user myself, I can assure you the Nitro HD's screen is just as great with the added benefit of being large enough for true HD. I wouldn't ever take an iPhone again. Way too small.

Yea that's exactly the same reason I am switching to android. If the screen is indeed the same quality then I will be very happy to get a Nitro or maybe wait for the Optimus LTE2 as I dont like the Tegra 3 on the 4X.

shawlz

May 30, 2012
The coming iPhone 5 is better. If you want to taste ICS android, LTE2 is perfect, for its longer battery life.

I'm getting out of patience with charging the batterys.

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011
I`ve read once that ah-ips is in fact a AFFS matrix. Can anyone proove that or is it wrong?
One interesting variation of IPS is the AH-IPS architecture developed by LG Display. This type of IPS panel uses the AFFS (advanced fringe field switching).
I found AFFS type matrix in only 1 phone in whole world and it is Nokia 5530 2.9"

AFFS panels are mostly utilized in the cockpits of latest commercial aircraft displays. Seems like ours display is only on par to expensive commercial aircraft ones and not to some cheap $h1t pentile amoleds

scott0

Dec 9, 2011
The coming iPhone 5 is better. If you want to taste ICS android, LTE2 is perfect, for its longer battery life.

I'm getting out of patience with charging the batterys.

eh?

what does the "coming iphone 5 is better." mean? of course it will be better, that's the point. why would it be worse? worse than what? the 4? a blackberry? smoke signals?
BUT- it's all rumor and speculation at this point and the screen size is a guess too.

not to mention, it's a year away and no one has even guessed how it will address lte and batt issues with that.

bottomline: certainly a smart phone released a year from now should be better than any phone on the market today.

next, the lte2 is perfect for what? op isn't in korea. and its longer batt life is based primarily on the larger batt, and from what Ive gathered, not on any real sw tweaks.

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011
longer batt life is based primarily on the larger batt, and from what Ive gathered, not on any real sw tweaks.
longer batt life due to S4 Krait based on 28nm, and therefor way too cooler than ours Scorpion, and secondly radio chip is inside of S4 so helps reduce power. Seems like I've get lte2 in my hands sooner than at&t will bring official ICS to light :p

for LTE2 there's own tread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1635089

scott0

Dec 9, 2011
longer batt life due to S4 Krait based on 28nm, and therefor way too cooler than ours Scorpion, and secondly radio chip is inside of S4 so helps reduce power. Seems like I've get lte2 in my hands sooner than at&t will bring official ICS to light :p

for LTE2 there's own tread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1635089

i've read the thread, hell i commented in it weeks ago.

but I tend not to buy into the marketing that the lte2 is automatically better at handling the battery, i'll wait for some testing.

on the other hand, a batt ~350mAh bigger is an obvious difference.

not saying the phone won't include some break-through batt tech that solves the problem of battery power, but i've yet to see any proof and i tend to distance myself from the pre-release marketing.

liteon163

Apr 1, 2011
The screen on my LG Spectrum is phenomenal when compared to my old AMOLED DROID Incredible. I've also compared my screen to the screen of friends' iPhone 4s and 4Ss. So long as the brightness is roughly equivalent, the LG Spectrum comes out ahead because it is true HD.

Watching Netflix on my phone in HD is awesome and everyone I've shown it to is exceedingly impressed. Even iPhone owners.

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk 2.

aecquam

Mar 19, 2012
This is exactly why I chose lg nitro for my upgrade. I compared displays of samsung, htc, moto razr and iphone. Samsung colors looked non-uniform on the blue side. Moto razr is, well, not much to write home about. Htc, not good either. Iphone's display is very good and normalised and it looks more effective with appke's aesthetic design wrapped around it. But I am an iphone hater (like mac though).

First thing that stands out with Nitro is it's display. Very clear and even. But it's design is same old plastic and mmmehhh..still chose the phone because the display is the best in the current android crop and too good to pass. Put the leaked ics, not the cm9, and you have a neat package. Also, as previous user of cm9, a big shout out to them, they gave the nitro community the first taste of ics which is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

rsalan

Jan 11, 2012
Boston
This is exactly why I chose lg nitro for my upgrade. I compared displays of samsung, htc, moto razr and iphone. Samsung colors looked non-uniform on the blue side. Moto razr is, well, not much to write home about. Htc, not good either. Iphone's display is very good and normalised and it looks more effective with appke's aesthetic design wrapped around it. But I am an iphone hater (like mac though).

First thing that stands out with Nitro is it's display. Very clear and even. But it's design is same old plastic and mmmehhh..still chose the phone because the display is the best in the current android crop and too good to pass. Put the leaked ics, not the cm9, and you have a neat package. Also, as previous user of cm9, a big shout out to them, they gave the nitro community the first taste of ics which is greatly appreciated.

Is there actually a noticeable difference between CM9 and the leak in terms of display?

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
Aside from the random blue flash on CM9 and considering my limited time on the leak (~an hour), I'd say no.

aecquam

Mar 19, 2012
The leak is more fluid and customised. But the major positive is the battery life. I had to recharge twice a day using cm9. Now with the leaked version the phone still has some juice left end of the day.

vn1977

Oct 4, 2007
I agree... in order to get decent battery life out of CM9 I've had to switch over to hspa+ and use SetCPU to reduce my CPU speed while the screen is off, as well as manage my wifi well.

dnorthington

Mar 23, 2011
Atlanta, GA
ARe you freezing anything or implementing any other tweaks to stock that are giving you this great battery life? I'm not nearly that good when I've tried the leak.