[NTG][1.2]GlowNooter 1.12.25

650 posts
Thanks Meter: 517

By GabrialDestruir, Senior Member on 27th May 2012, 07:00 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th May 2012, 08:38 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 213

More
@glowco: I'm looking at GD's scripts and the tinynoot scripts right now.

It looks as if I used the same binary (despite the different name) for the
/system/app/Superuser piece (the file sizes and mod dates are identical.)

I used a different release of busybox, though. So the busybox my script installed would be overwritten by the glownoot busybox.

My advice is that if you want to get the google apps working, restore from a nonrooted backup and use this tool. I'm very likely to ignore my advice on my own device and see what happens, but today's not likely the day that's going to happen.

The line in glownooter that does the copy-in is:

package_extract_dir("system/xbin/", "/system/xbin/");

Unless the package_extract_dir command wipes a directory before copying in the file, you'd overwrite busybox at that step but leave the links to it. The links would probably continue to work but if there's an important difference between the two busyboxes, you might find it made trouble in a weird, random way long after you'd forgotten that you'd overlaid one root with another.

The busybox updater/manager might alleviate that issue - not sure what Ed's or GD's take on overlaying one root with another is.
The Following User Says Thank You to roustabout For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift roustabout Ad-Free

28th May 2012, 09:49 PM |#12  
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Roustabout, thanks for your reply. I'm not rushing into anything, so if you do decide to try installing this over yours, let us know the results. (I tend to like the easier approach if it works okay.)
29th May 2012, 04:15 AM |#13  
Flag NJ

More
Maybe I should take this opportunity to ask an additional question: what will this root let me do that tinynoot didn't, other than run the Market? What additional apps would it allow me to run that would actually run well?

One app I have partially working on tinynoot is Jabiru, a jabber chat client. The basic chat connection works, but the Conference function crashes the session. I doubt this other root would make a difference in something like that?

Thanks.
29th May 2012, 05:58 AM |#14  
Flag Masan, South Korea
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I just did this and it works great. The only problem I have noticed is that when I am in gtalk and trying to chat I only see the top two rows of keys. Is anyone else getting this or know how to fix it?
29th May 2012, 07:42 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi,

before to try rooting the nstglowlight, is it possible to make backup with noogie like the normal NST ?
29th May 2012, 07:48 PM |#16  

More
Yes, you can and should boot from a noogie disk and make a whole-device backup before changing things up, just like with the NST.
30th May 2012, 01:58 AM |#17  
OP Senior Member
Flag California

More
Assuming that tinynoot used MinimalNooter as a basis for it's design (as is evident by the forum convo) then GlowNooter will run perfectly fine without any issues, however keep in mind that because the package names for files in GlowNooter in /data/app are likely to be different than those in tinynoot you'll end up with multiple copies of things like Amazon market, which doesn't actually affect performance, but can take up more space. So you have two options, the first is to do a fresh install onto a fresh NTG, or you can install this on top of tinynoot and go in and remove the excess files using Super Manager.
The Following User Says Thank You to GabrialDestruir For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GabrialDestruir Ad-Free
30th May 2012, 02:03 AM |#18  
OP Senior Member
Flag California

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurtach

I just did this and it works great. The only problem I have noticed is that when I am in gtalk and trying to chat I only see the top two rows of keys. Is anyone else getting this or know how to fix it?

Using an alternative keyboard could fix it, the major issue is finding an alternative keyboard that is e-ink friendly. This tends to be broken in the app itself, because I have noticed the Google Voice app will do the same exact thing on nook devices.
30th May 2012, 02:06 AM |#19  
OP Senior Member
Flag California

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowco

Maybe I should take this opportunity to ask an additional question: what will this root let me do that tinynoot didn't, other than run the Market? What additional apps would it allow me to run that would actually run well?

One app I have partially working on tinynoot is Jabiru, a jabber chat client. The basic chat connection works, but the Conference function crashes the session. I doubt this other root would make a difference in something like that?

Thanks.

The difference between this and tinynoot IS the fact it has Market on it, you can actually go to google.com/play now and install apps to the device. Other than that there is no major difference.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GabrialDestruir For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GabrialDestruir Ad-Free
30th May 2012, 02:41 AM |#20  

More
Yeah, folks should understand what tinynoot grew out of: I wanted the smallest set of changes I could make to have a rooted NST usable by me. I almost didn't include the Amazon appstore, but then realized there were things I wanted from it and that it'd be more helpful to others if there was at least something

That's very bare-bones, because I don't use the NST for too much other than reading - I want an rss reader, a non-BN book reader and my contacts (via b-folders, rather than a google account,) and at that point I'm pretty much done. I often install what I want to a fresh device just using adb or pm from a commandline

Gabrial's trying to get the Google market working because so many folks really want it.

Also, I tested tinynoot against an NST last night and was able to root that using it, which is helpful to me.

That said, here are the files tinynoot copies in; it sounds as if the two rooting tools are compatible, which is helpful.

in system:

/system/xbin/busybox
/system/bin/su
/system/app/NookColorTools.apk
/system/app/com.noshufou.android.su.apk

and in /data/app:

ADW.Launcher_v1.3.6_Standalone.apk
Amazon_Appstore-2.1.0.apk
BusyBox_v7.3.apk
Button_Savior_v1.3.1.apk
NookTouchTools_v1.0-beta2.apk
Super_Manager_v2.6.0.apk
adbWireless_v1.4.1.apk

and that's that.
The Following User Says Thank You to roustabout For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift roustabout Ad-Free
30th May 2012, 05:21 AM |#21  
Flag NJ

More
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I really care about Market. One more question - do I need Gapps in order to install Google Maps? I think I tried and failed, but not sure if it was just a bad apk I got from somewhere.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)