HTC Vivid Stock ICS Issues

Search This thread

StrangeShadow

Dec 24, 2009
That's because the name of the thread is "ics issues" :). Personally I like the upgrade, I see it as an improvement overall.

Sent from my HTC Vivid via Tapatalk

Yeah, I realize it's an issue thread, guess it's just more than I expected. But then there always are issues no matter what. If the overall improvement outweighs the issues than it's worth it, just hadn't really seen that said yet.

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Entirely not true, If it wasnt for the ICS update, i would have gotten rid of this phone a long time ago, performance imo has increased 100% in smoothness and overall user experience, not to mention Beats Audio also. GB was crap, Sense was jerky, browser was laggy, it did not feel like a dual core phone expecially since my last phone was a SGS2. Im totally happy with the Vivid now and a couple of minor quirks wont change that

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Good to hear, I think that's what I really hadn't heard anyone really say too much yet.
Thanks added.

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
In all honesty I think ics runs very stable. A few minor and random issues there but not like gingebread ran 100% stable all the time. Such is life really. The only thing that might be a deal breaker to anyone is the lack of a native voice dialing app, but you can always grab one from the market.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

-Epix-

Feb 11, 2009
Illinois
Yeah going back to gingerbread was actually pretty easy. Going back to unroot gingerbread was confusing. But I got it. Just had to read.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA Premium App

CoreyMG

May 30, 2012
Stock ICS Vivid issues

I got my HTC Vivid with stock ICS 4.0.3 on wednesday of last week, every morning i wake up to a reboot crash error report. also the startup when ICS updates and optimizes applications what's that about? it doesnt really bother me but cant find an actual explanation about it. I tried to get the stock PUU from HTC but the link posted earlier in this thread doesnt work, does anyone have a new link location? also has anyone found a way to get carrier billing in Google Play to work?

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
I would try a factory reset first. Ics is buggy no doubt and I think alot of it has to do with getting 4.03 instead of the more stable 4.04. I really don't care if we see jelly bean or whatever comes after but I hope we do get a system update that updates the android version to 4.04 and fixes all the issues as well as providing better battery life. Here's all the issues I have :

*third party keyboards are laggy and sometime don't display right in landscape
*wifi randomly shuts on and off
*third party messaging apps such as Voxer Walkie Talkie don't always notify me.
*Battery life is nothing short of terrible. I have 2 batteries and often can't make it through a day of work without swapping
*can't play pandora over bluetooth via lte or battery will overheat and the phone will just shut off.
*can't play slacker over bluetooth with wifi because audio cuts in and out constantly.
* No voice dialer

otherwise it's stable. still don't wanna go back to gingerbread.

Last edited:

slimslim

Oct 14, 2009
I really have to try out the pandora and slacker over Bluetooth, cause I have no problems with overheating on tune in radio, and I use it constantly daily for at least an hour.

Sent from my HTC Vivid via Tapatalk

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
yeah without bluetooth both services work fine. Guess I should add that I also can't purchase apps with my att account

Markavich

Sep 24, 2010
Decatur, GA
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hmmm... I plan on upgrading from my craptastic Sony Ericsson Xperia X10a, to the HTC Vivid sometime this week. Seems to me that a lot of issues stem from the OTA update, so I will be doing mine from a PC.

At some point I plan to unlock and root my phone. If anyone can suggest a fast and stable ROM for the Vivid, I would be most appreciative. I'd like it to be as close to ICS as possible, and, maybe this is the bad taste in my mouth from my Xperia, but I would also like it to have Sense 3.6.

Thank you!

GlowingStar

May 3, 2012
There is a way for you to downgrade back to gb but in order for that to work, you need root.

Sent from my HTC Holiday using XDA

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Hmmm... I plan on upgrading from my craptastic Sony Ericsson Xperia X10a, to the HTC Vivid sometime this week. Seems to me that a lot of issues stem from the OTA update, so I will be doing mine from a PC.

At some point I plan to unlock and root my phone. If anyone can suggest a fast and stable ROM for the Vivid, I would be most appreciative. I'd like it to be as close to ICS as possible, and, maybe this is the bad taste in my mouth from my Xperia, but I would also like it to have Sense 3.6.

Thank you!

Honestly it's not that bad on ics stock. I definitely prefer it to gingerbread

bestialbub

May 19, 2010
I just upgraded my phone from a sony x10 (running z's rom/kernel) to a refurbished htc vivid for a penny (thru the att store, plus 25 bux tax+36 bux activation). refurb vivid is like new/clean display (the misses vivid has a very minor scratch on display)

the vivid is great, physically solid, and should likely come preloaded with ics 4.0.3 with sense 3.6. runs great as stock.

no problem unlocking with the help of htc, and no problem turning the partitioning security off (s-off). the s-off procedure (which i assume opens up the ability to flash kernel/recovery) does require you to void your phone's warranty by removing a "void" sticker on a screw to perform the s-off function.

DarkRaider seems to be a popular rom, and one that I'm running with no problems. it has a really nice gui installer once ran from recovery that works great with default settings, but has a lot of options for adding/removing app, features and replacing/using several different prepackaged kernel's on the fly, or even after installation.

I'm looking forward to dissecting the vivid roms in the near future; stock as well as custom and documenting them all on a file level. ;)

the xperia was swell for me (upgraded from a moto backflip), but the vivid rules.

If anyone can suggest a fast and stable ROM for the Vivid, I would be most appreciative. I'd like it to be as close to ICS as possible, and, maybe this is the bad taste in my mouth from my Xperia, but I would also like it to have Sense 3.6.

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
I gotta ask, out of curiosity why did anyone get a xperia x10 when the Galaxy S Captivate came out before it with a more up to date os better screen, and better build quality? That's what I had before my vivid and loved it, but now the hardware is too out of date, great in 2010 though

Samsungs build quality aren't as nice as htc but from what I've seen of se they are massive globs of recycled plastic. had a z750a flip and it was garbage and my buddy had the play, and it was flimsy as hell

Last edited:

WirelessMike

HTC Vivid replacement

So I finally spoke with an AT&T rep regarding the issues I've had with my Vivid since the ICS update after trying re-flash of the official AT&T release and wipe of all personal data with no success.

AT&T stated the problem had to be associated with the physical electronics, so they sent me a replacement, which I had to update to ICS and apply all my settings (easy enough, as I backup everything).

Seems they were right. New (to me) phone is working on ICS with NO issues. It's a shame I had to go through a warranty exchange to fix it, but honestly, who needs the frustration? I'm glad all those issues are gone!

:D

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
I don't think thats related to the apple thing. That was about tapping a phone number an email and bringing up the dialer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've upgraded to the latest ICS from AT&T and am not experiencing any of the reboot issues that you're speaking of. I put my Vivid on a charging dock and it goes into doc mode and is that way when I wake up in the morning. I even have it trip an alarm at 7AM. If it's rebooting overnight, I'm not aware of it. In GB there was a screen that told you the up time and sleep time. I can't find it on ICS otherwise I could confirm whether or not it is rebooting overnight.

As for battery life, it doesn't appear to be any worse than GB for me and for today, It's been on the battery over 1.5 hrs and still at 100% battery.

Menu - Settings - Power - Battery Use
    Select the Up time counter for more details
    I've seen threads with this issue or that issue, but no single thread yet dedicated to issues that have cropped up for HTC Vivid users since the ICS OTA update.

I run stock-- No root, no custom rom, just stock the way it came from AT&T.

The phone has been wonderful. Battery standby time was phenomenal (on a full charge, I could expect to take my phone to work around 6:30 am, and see a minimum 60% to 75% left when I got home around 5:30 pm). I never experienced random reboots, crashes, etc.

Then I updated OTA to the new ICS using standard AT&T procedure-- This would be the official release, downloaded and installed last week.

Now, if I reboot the phone, I have to wait while it installs updates it already had when I installed ICS. This is a minor incovenience, but annoying.

I also see noticeably less standby time. I'm lucky now to have 50% left when I get home from work.

Most alarming, though, is the nightly crash on the charger. My dad is in and out of the hospital with heart issues, so turning off my phone to charge it isn't really an option. Every night since I updated, my phone random reboots on the charger (last night it did it twice).

So now I'm seriously wondering:
    (1) Is anyone else having these new issues since updating to the official ICS release?
    (2) Is there some way I can "downgrade" to the more stable version my phone had before (the extra features and tweaks aren't worth the tradeoff for stability and standby time)?

Thanks to any and all who take the time to consider this post and reply accordingly.
    Why not try downloading the official RUU since you are still locked,
    http://www.htc.com/us/support/vivid-att/downloads/ and install it
    sounds like something scewed up when you uploded the OTA update via phone.
    I've had a good amount of auto reboots when using Pandora period, w/out bluetooth. On Gingerbread stock Rom.

I've heard a number of people mention this, I think this may be more of a pandora issue/3rd party app issue...idk for sure though

I think the issue is lte. It pulls more amps than the battery can handled. Using wifi has fixed the issue.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using XDA
    I did notice the back lighting. It's a bit weird now. It seems its completely dependent on light or dark. I covered my front camera with my finger to test the theory and sure enough, the back lighting came on.