FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

ORDER Social Group... For us with ORD (Obsessive-ROM Updating Disorder)

20,878 posts
Thanks Meter: 10,773

By egzthunder1, Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA on 26th March 2010, 05:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th May 2012, 03:07 PM |#4241  
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 257

More
Thumbs up
Hi, I'm Gabriel and I am an ORD Addict. I don't have any hopes of you guys helping me as you are all probably even WORSE than I am

I have a Galaxy S for a year and a halve and have been flashing it about 100 times now. Also my TF101 and my wifes Milestone, Xperia and Xperia Arc S

My next phone will be an iPhone, making sure that I can't even change the colors of the OS!

31st May 2012, 11:35 PM |#4242  
Thanks Meter: 234

More
I stumbled across this thread while in my ORD mode. I definitely addicted and I'm not ashamed smh. Its taken a toll on my daily social lifestyle even with all the social networking apps available. I help myself the gracious devs put so much effort into these roms/mods/kernels that I cant help myself. I started off with the atrix coming from blackberry and not realizing the massive potential of the android experience. For a locked down phone as the atrix devs found a way around it and I found my self flash happy. I've come to a pouint where I know what I want on my phone so I just get get giddy for certains Roms from certain devs. I just got the Galaxy Note and I told myself I would be disciplined and just root it but not do anything else because I jsut want the stock ICS update wit the S pen settings and apps. I actually have a rom just sitting on the phone as we speak and I feel that I'm literally itching to flash it to get the fix. I knew I had an addiction before reading this thread and I'm a little relieved to know I'm not alone.
1st June 2012, 09:33 AM |#4243  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious Von

I stumbled across this thread while in my ORD mode. I definitely addicted and I'm not ashamed smh. Its taken a toll on my daily social lifestyle even with all the social networking apps available. I help myself the gracious devs put so much effort into these roms/mods/kernels that I cant help myself. I started off with the atrix coming from blackberry and not realizing the massive potential of the android experience. For a locked down phone as the atrix devs found a way around it and I found my self flash happy. I've come to a pouint where I know what I want on my phone so I just get get giddy for certains Roms from certain devs. I just got the Galaxy Note and I told myself I would be disciplined and just root it but not do anything else because I jsut want the stock ICS update wit the S pen settings and apps. I actually have a rom just sitting on the phone as we speak and I feel that I'm literally itching to flash it to get the fix. I knew I had an addiction before reading this thread and I'm a little relieved to know I'm not alone.

I am with you Brother, i also have the Note and do love the Spen and so on. But the ICS came and i tried NOT flash the sweet ICS over my ONLY rooted stock rom. But then i could not help my self any longer! Becuase i stumbled over Mobile Odin Pro and DOOOMED I WAS. so of again with the Flashing!!! Damn u Mobile Odin Pro! That is the worst thing ever happen to us with ORD!! It is like a superdrug With turbo and direct injection. I just love Getting my Mobile Odin Pro Fix on the train to work. People do look at me funny sometimes on the train but i do not care! I need My FIX!!!!

1st June 2012, 01:48 PM |#4244  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Finally! I know what I am!
I've been bumming around on XDA for quite some time now, I don't post much but I'm pretty much always trundling around the development section of the Galaxy s. I flash my phone pretty much every day unless I find a particularly tasty Rom and then I might be able to hold off for a couple of days and just keep tweaking the settings. The best part is finally having a name for my condition...ORD... next time I'm told to 'put that damn phone down' i'll be able to say, 'I can't I have ORD!' and claim some sort of compensation or allowance for all these years of technological abuse. Its got to the point where I tell random people I barely know about how they should update their androids and it causes me physical pain to see someone still toughing it out on Cupcake!
1st June 2012, 08:41 PM |#4245  
Thanks Meter: 234

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez_13

I've been bumming around on XDA for quite some time now, I don't post much but I'm pretty much always trundling around the development section of the Galaxy s. I flash my phone pretty much every day unless I find a particularly tasty Rom and then I might be able to hold off for a couple of days and just keep tweaking the settings. The best part is finally having a name for my condition...ORD... next time I'm told to 'put that damn phone down' i'll be able to say, 'I can't I have ORD!' and claim some sort of compensation or allowance for all these years of technological abuse. Its got to the point where I tell random people I barely know about how they should update their androids and it causes me physical pain to see someone still toughing it out on Cupcake!

You too!!!! I wanna root and flash a new rom on my friends my touch and galaxy tab so bad but he's so shook smh.

ICS gave me brain freeze
8th June 2012, 03:33 AM |#4246  
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 188

More
ORD it is. I'm an addict.
8th June 2012, 04:23 AM |#4247  
Flag Hickory
Thanks Meter: 608

More
Addict to, ever since i rooted and learned how to flash roms havent been able to keep the same rom for a week lol. Been wantn to fix my sisters mytouch 4g but shes stuck on the stock wallpapers still! I also find myself trying to talk to people at work about it an not sure if i should feel smarter or what from their glazed deer caught in headlight clueless faces lol.

Sent from my Motorola Triumph using XDA
12th June 2012, 11:56 PM |#4248  
Flag Your basement
Thanks Meter: 418

Donate to Me
More
So I got rid of my ORD you see, when I was on myTouch 4G, I wasn't satisfied. AOSP ROMs were awesome, but had an awful camera. Sense Camera was awesome, but the overall experience was bloated. MIUI.... It was just weird.

Then, I got a Sensation. I went ROM Crazy and if it weren't for a random guy at Engadget, I wouldn't have discovered HyperNonSense. It takes the official Sense 3.6 Update, strips almost everything Sense EXCEPT the camera. The result is a fully functioning, super fast, AOSP looking ROM with an awesome camera (Video problems are imminent on any ROM that isn't HyperNonSense or other Sense 3.6). Now? I haven't changed ROMs in 3 months. I do switch to see what's up with a new ROM, but I always restore right back. My ORD is gone
26th June 2012, 09:55 AM |#4249  
Flag Gold Coast
Thanks Meter: 503

Donate to Me
More
How to get over ORD, by Jarmezrocks.
Like a bad comedown the bootloops from hell enter life and you become a lost sole. Not contactable by anyone that can help you and no one of contact to the outer world. Attempting to substitute your disorder by using a lower grade (even non android device) will not work either. How does one expect to improve or tweak a lower spec device when there is a clearly much high spec device waiting to be flashed?
There is only one cure for this....and that is to become a dev! "How does that work?" you may ask? this would surely make the situation far worse?
I should add in here.... become a dev for a device that you don't own. Be thorough and dedicated in your developments and feed the teams needy of flash addicts.
You are unable to test flash your self, so it is the only answer.
The flow on effects from this is that you become so busy ensuring that your developments are right that you don't get an opportunity to search XDA for ANYTHING!! And if you do then it is for something specific....and the off chance you stumble across a thread like this is....well....rare.

Not only that but you have an opportunity to stabilise your own device, you don't do risking flashes, you wean your self to making the thing "functional".
I must warn that you will not escape the tyrants of mass users who have issues and in need of a "fix" (a bug fix) from you the "cook"; the terminology being not all too dissimilar to a drug addict is it? I soon dulled to the need for latest versions….I wanted stability. The need to update the ROM to the latest version dies when you make functionality stable. There comes an overwhelming sense of satisfactions and achievement in making something function that hasn't functioned ever before….even if it IS several versions old. The quest for understanding in the android OS paramounting the urge to flash.

I soon have become so disgusted with bootloops that I held back on a stable version and let flash addicts feast and frenzy over the new delights of an incremental update. You must block the tyrants out from your brain….. It is not you with the problems it is them! I am but a person not a team of cyanogen mods, they need to curb their need not me cater for their version issues. I started to feel better day by day. It didn't matter that I was loosing "users" (more similarities eh?) to other cooks. They can go get their fix elsewhere. Hmmm I am noticing those that are testers that a loyal….. They are sticking around? Why is this so? What is this characteristic of a loyal tester? I take note and see that there ARE other devs who have….so it seems an old version of gingerbread and still many users loyally sticking by them? Now this category of users are extremists in the opp direction….they have stuck to a customised ROM version (stable I might add) when the vendors them selves have released ICS? MAN ARE YOU STUPID?? WHAT GIVES? Hang on a minute….. Do these guys suffer with a phobia? Could I be pinned with the regrets of supporting several versions because of "anti-flash addicts" wanting bug fixes for Froyo (that are clearly in Gingerbread) as we move on to from ICS to Jellybean? Who knows? Who cares really!

My life and world is changing! I am feeling even better again! I can breath easy again. My family and friends love me again, I am contactable…my message bank is bare. My phone has productivity apps installed and alarms for reminders to do things…..in life…..like normal people do. The people who are old friends are no longer offended when they SMS me and receive a response not all too dissimilar to "Who's this?" as I am in-between flashing the next version and haven't restored my contacts. You know life is al but over when you are using flight mode to grasp and hang on to these meaningless sms messages to respond days later after you have come out of bootloops. Stop grappling people! Stop grappling at the addiction and all that is feeding it. Change. You can do it.

Your world will be filled with a better feeling when you realise that you are now contributing to XDA rather than consuming it and sucking off it like a leech.

I will admit I am running the latest version of firmware for my phone, however it is because it is stable. Thank you XWLPG. I have weaned my self from leaked releases. If you are living and consuming your self in nightlies and are becoming frustrated when "nightlies are not nightlies at all" and your left with a frown on your face then I think you are beyond saving. You are like the walking dead "Ice Addict" of the Android world a parasite by all that walk past you, oblivious to the conversations that take place as you flash your next version. I pity your soul go throw your phone in the bin. Your only saviour in life is to wake up and find a purpose driven motive rather than an ego driven one….find something in someone else to help them and use that. Other than that the only thing that may halt you is bricking your device….with a lengthy and struggling fix for your device. It will ground you enough for you to get some clarity around who you are again. You are a person not an android remember that!

Good luck may god pity your souls.

Former ORD sufferer. Jarmezrocks
26th June 2012, 09:00 PM |#4250  
Flag Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I too struggle with ORD
The name's Jose, and I deal with ORD

It began in march '12, when I first had my sensation (coming from a hero, and never heard the word root)

I was tired of my carrier (orange) getting late to the ICS train, so I decided to move on my own, and followed a link to a htc spanish related site, where it was stated that you could update to ICS with a custom rom, just by rooting and S-OFFing... nothing more.
So I followed instructions... downloaded the rom they were linking (I did not know, but it was ARHD), revolutionary s-offed, rooted, and... power+volumedown... recovery.. and it was there... clockwordmod (I remember I thought how unsecure it made me feel by then...)
A few steps after, it was flashing ARHD, and... finish... reboot...
BOOTLOOP!

"OH, ****! What's going on!!? There's nothing on this site that talks about this! Not even in the comments!! --What the.. there is not even a single comment about the post!! What have I done!!?!"

My just bought-unboxed htc sensation, turned out to be a nice aluminium (or whatever) cased stone!!

After 10 minutes, I understood that in fact, it was not bricked at all.. well, at least I could enter clockwordmod, that had to be a good signal, after all. Provided I'm an engineer, I had done a backup before all the process, so I was able to go back to stock GB... but that was like... admiting defeat... I couldn't stand it.. so after almost an hour of reading things I barely understood, I came to XDA... and found joaquinf's guide... THE GUIDE.

15 minutes later, AHRD was running smoothly on my device... was a good thing to see the PIN code screen after the bootloops...

Since then... I've flashed every AHRD release... almost every ORDroid release since 5.1.0, and almost every CM9 nightly (which I'll stick to... well, euroskank nightlies, in fact), and every faux123 and bricked kernel releases....

I've tried beats (aosp and non aosp) mods, HQcamera mods, bravia engine mods, even tried Paranoidandroid ROM (which I actually like a lot)...

It began as curiosity.. now is a lifestyle...

Greetings, and thank you all for the good work you do here on xda... you might say... knowledge at its best
28th June 2012, 07:53 AM |#4251  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
My name is Todd and I have ORD. It's not that I like to flash, it's just that all the ROMs suck, in one way or another. One day they'll make a good one and I'll stop. Actually, that will probably never happen. F***.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
addiction, flashing, flashing rom, obsessive rom updating, ord

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)