Screen protectors

Search This thread

MrBlacklisted

Apr 26, 2012
San Diego
What have you found to be a good screen protector for the Blaze? I have been looking for something that will last. I just got some "C. Skins" that have a two year warranty off of fleabay for a whole $1.99 so I figured I would give them a try. I'm not expecting much for the price, but figured I would give it a shot. My initial report is that it won't stay down around the edges. I might trim a little off the edges and give it another try. (there were 6 in the package so I can experiment on a couple)

What other brands out have a good reputation and work on the Blaze? Thanks for any and all input.

Cirkustanz

May 5, 2010
My reply is not specifically what you're looking for, but is another viewpoint.

For over 2 years I carried a Nexus One with me wherever I went. Even though it was my first full screen phone, I only used one of those screen protectors for a few days.

For 2 years it was always carried in my front pocket, mostly in my jeans or shorts, or whatever. I did drop the phone a few times, nothing really catastrophic, but the bigger crime I would commit with my phone is using it sometimes with wet hands, and once or twice I used it in the rain.

My screen for that phone is still in PRISTINE shape. Not a single scratch on it. It has a very very small ding on the phone from when I dropped it once, but when I went to switch carriers, the guy is like, "This phone looks brand spanking new."

It's true I used a silicone style case for the back of the phone, mostly because the N1 is freaking slippery....but the screen was immaculate.

A friend of mine has a similar story with his Iphone 3gs, or whatever it's called. The materials that the phones have been made from for the last few years is pretty durable. I remember watching youtube videos of N1's users taking their brand new phones and marring them with keys, pressing really hard, and they wouldn't scratch.

I have no idea if the screen on this model phone is made of anything similar in a material, but I would certainly assume so, I'm sure most if not all of full screen phones are just as durable.

I didn't even buy a back cover this time, and it's been great.

Anyways, consider going "naked" with your phone. It "feels better".

:)

Dedridd

Apr 2, 2012
I've used invisibleShields by Zagg on my past four phones, plus various devices such as digital camera screens and such. They're worth the price.

MrBlacklisted

Apr 26, 2012
San Diego
My reply is not specifically what you're looking for, but is another viewpoint.

For over 2 years I carried a Nexus One with me wherever I went. Even though it was my first full screen phone, I only used one of those screen protectors for a few days.

For 2 years it was always carried in my front pocket, mostly in my jeans or shorts, or whatever. I did drop the phone a few times, nothing really catastrophic, but the bigger crime I would commit with my phone is using it sometimes with wet hands, and once or twice I used it in the rain.

My screen for that phone is still in PRISTINE shape. Not a single scratch on it. It has a very very small ding on the phone from when I dropped it once, but when I went to switch carriers, the guy is like, "This phone looks brand spanking new."

It's true I used a silicone style case for the back of the phone, mostly because the N1 is freaking slippery....but the screen was immaculate.

A friend of mine has a similar story with his Iphone 3gs, or whatever it's called. The materials that the phones have been made from for the last few years is pretty durable. I remember watching youtube videos of N1's users taking their brand new phones and marring them with keys, pressing really hard, and they wouldn't scratch.

I have no idea if the screen on this model phone is made of anything similar in a material, but I would certainly assume so, I'm sure most if not all of full screen phones are just as durable.

I didn't even buy a back cover this time, and it's been great.

Anyways, consider going "naked" with your phone. It "feels better".

:)

Thank you for the insight on the screens, I always carry my phone in my front pocket also and I'm worried about cracking the screen if I bend over against something and put pressure on the phone. I might just be overreacting on this but this is my first full screen smarty phone and I don't want to kill it.

I've used invisibleShields by Zagg on my past four phones, plus various devices such as digital camera screens and such. They're worth the price.

Thanks, that is one that I was looking into also.

Anyone else have a recomendation on other brands?

Cirkustanz

May 5, 2010
Those screen protector films won't protect against the screen being cracked. Minor scratches, sure.

Having said that, it takes a *LOT* to crack the screens. Sure, it can be done easily, but I've seen iphones and htc incredibles lobbed across the room (not thrown like a baseball mind you, but tossed as if you were intending someone to catch it) and the person mis-threw and the phones were fine.

As far as scratches go......even if the phone does get scratched, (which is really hard to do and it needs to either be an extreme freak accident or something done intentionally, seriously I just took a fork to my nexus one tried to scratch it with the fork) the phone will still work. In order to scratch the screen I think you'd need to have something sharp and very hard, like a roofing nail or the tip of a steak knife.

The fork bent, and the screen is still not scratched.

I really understand where you are coming from on wanting to keep your phone in tip top shape, especially since the phones are expensive nowadays, but what I'm trying to say is don't worry about it so much.

The best thing you can do to not damage your phone is to not let them get wet. Don't be that guy at the bar with your phone sitting on the counter just waiting for some drunk guy to accidentally spill his beer on it.

Put that phone in your front pocket, even if you are wearing tight jeans, and have to crouch over, don't worry, your phone will be fine. I've been telling this over and over to a friend of mine who just recently got his first real phone (blah, an iphone 4s) and he treats the phone like it's an infant.

It's so funny. I'm not saying you should use your phone as a hammer to fix your roof, I'm just saying that the phones are rugged. Seriously, think about how many get sold, if they were so fragile, people would be up in arms every 2 weeks when their phone fell off the table.

MrBlacklisted

Apr 26, 2012
San Diego
Those screen protector films won't protect against the screen being cracked. Minor scratches, sure.

Having said that, it takes a *LOT* to crack the screens. Sure, it can be done easily, but I've seen iphones and htc incredibles lobbed across the room (not thrown like a baseball mind you, but tossed as if you were intending someone to catch it) and the person mis-threw and the phones were fine.

As far as scratches go......even if the phone does get scratched, (which is really hard to do and it needs to either be an extreme freak accident or something done intentionally, seriously I just took a fork to my nexus one tried to scratch it with the fork) the phone will still work. In order to scratch the screen I think you'd need to have something sharp and very hard, like a roofing nail or the tip of a steak knife.

The fork bent, and the screen is still not scratched.

I really understand where you are coming from on wanting to keep your phone in tip top shape, especially since the phones are expensive nowadays, but what I'm trying to say is don't worry about it so much.

The best thing you can do to not damage your phone is to not let them get wet. Don't be that guy at the bar with your phone sitting on the counter just waiting for some drunk guy to accidentally spill his beer on it.

Put that phone in your front pocket, even if you are wearing tight jeans, and have to crouch over, don't worry, your phone will be fine. I've been telling this over and over to a friend of mine who just recently got his first real phone (blah, an iphone 4s) and he treats the phone like it's an infant.

It's so funny. I'm not saying you should use your phone as a hammer to fix your roof, I'm just saying that the phones are rugged. Seriously, think about how many get sold, if they were so fragile, people would be up in arms every 2 weeks when their phone fell off the table.

normally I keep my phone in my front pocket with change and a lighter. I'm glad to hear that these phones are durable enough not to worry about them too much. Thanks for the insight on this.

dr4stic

Oct 18, 2009

I must be one unlucky guy then. I have always put screen protectors on my phone and kept them in cases. I always assume I'll resell the phone and a case offers me comfort in that sense.

With my N1, I needed to change the screen protector and took it off for a day. A DAY... I was careful with it, didn't put it anywhere crazy, nothing on it, etc. Somehow it managed to go from pristine to "big gash luckily not directly over the LCD".

The one time I dropped that phone (again, going "naked") during a change, I incurred a huge indentation on one of the corners. Anyone who's handled an N1 should realize how big a deal that is because the metalic parts of the body were thick aluminum. I really don't know how I managed that dent cuz it also happened from seat level.

From then on I've had the case and screen protectors for new phones BEFORE even having the phones in my hand. I'll agree with the fact that it takes a ton of force to crack the screen, but it also takes just the right angle just that 1 time to create the tortional force to crack the screen.

I've done Zagg as well as many of the glossy static based protectors. My issues with the static based glossy ones (and the Zagg) was with the corners coming up. My bad Zagg experience may simply have been on the N1 due to the screen being practically "above" the edge of the phone.

I've taken a major liking to the Stealth Shieldz offered on Amazon. The Zagg is just plain skin and I found a little difficult to apply. The Stealth Shieldz product is also a wet application (like the Zagg), but there's a hard plastic under the skin that helps it keep it's shape better, and for that I find it easier to apply. I also found it just lasted longer.

I wish the case options were better. Like a red/black version of the Incipio silicrylic... but the phone's still new, so i imagine the cases will come :)

I love this phone.

MrBlacklisted

Apr 26, 2012
San Diego
I figured I would post a update. I got the Zagg screen protector and love it. Well worth the $15. So far it's holding up great. I've had it on for about 3 weeks and no problems like the el cheap o protectors that would scratch from just sliding my fingers over the screen. And it has a lifetime warranty so if there is any problems I can send it back.

thanks again everyone for your input on this.

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
I just went with a case no screen protector. My phone is always in a safe place so I always come out with no scratches etc. When I do go with screen protector I often go with zagg or xtremeguard for my other phones.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using XDA Premium App

itsLYNDZ

Jul 20, 2010
Has anyone ever used an anti glare screen protector? I've been trying to find one but dont know what brands are any good

Flowbyte

May 29, 2012
I got the invisible shield and as far as I can see it's pretty perfect. Very happy with it.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using xda premium

scotch10

May 30, 2012
Some of those protectors have a treatment on that that acts like polarization. I wear polarized lenses and if I turn the phone one way I can see everything, and if I turn it another, poof....it's gone.

I'd go to a store and try several out if this is a concern for you.

anactoraaron

Aug 29, 2011
St. Cloud, MN
Ballistic case. So well made and feels so solid you want to drop it off your roof.

I personally have also always bought Skinomi screen protectors/full phone protectors on amazon. I NEVER get the dry screen protectors - I just suck at putting them on. Spraying a solution on the screen protector to install it also allows you to adjust where the protector is before it cures to the screen. Just make sure you do it quickly or you will be looking at the same bits of dust for a very long time! :eek:

crazydrummer95

Aug 26, 2011
Sahuarita
I have always been huge at keeping screen protectors and cases on my phones. I have tried everything from the Matted protectors, to the really cheap ones, and I have tried the Invisible Shield by Zagg, and recently I bought a Ghost Armor protector for my phone. Apparently its supposed to be fingerprint resistant and grease and oil repellent, but it seems like it attracts oil and grease more than anything. The one thing that I hate about the Invisible Shield and the Ghost Armor is the material used. I know its supposed to be scratch resistant, but I hate the feeling of it. The whole rubbery material does not go well with a touchscreen phone, and your fingers stick alot. On top of that it has these weird ripples on it that make the screen look kinda weird. I am actually thinking of removing Ghost Armor and just going to the cheap ones that cost about $5

namaui

Feb 2, 2012
I am always the type of person who gets a screen protector within the first few hours of owning a phone, but I went about a week without one when I first got the Blaze because I couldn't find one, and have found that the screen is extremely scratch resistant and haven't bothered with one since.

3 months of typical use and so far not a single scratch on the screen, even after sharing the same pocket with some coins and keys.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just ordered the Skinomi Drytech screen protector. Will update with pics and a brief review once it arrives.