SGSIII Drop test, Throw test, Fly off yo car test, its all here

Search This thread

eviltango

Apr 17, 2012
I disagree, I think the testing was good. You people may have to buy good cases!

Send from the Noteorious BIG 5.3" Bell Canada

Meemo23

Nov 17, 2010
Under my bed...
I have the S3 and i can honestly say i am very disappointed.. I know glass breaks so get off my back.. But my Lg Optimus 3D fell from my ear and landed on concrete floor screen side down not a scratch on the screen. And it is not even Gorilla glass..

Even my brothers S2 fell a few times on our marble floor kitchen from the top of the fridge that is as tall as me.. And it's glass lived but the edge was a bit messed up.. But that was easy to fix another shell and it was fixed..

I do have a case and screen protector but this video has disappointed me in many ways...

hawkeye2188

May 17, 2011
Iowa
It was good testing, I wanted to know if they still turned on afterwards and what those effects would have been. However they could do the same three tests later in the day and Apple could take the beating, it all depends on how your phone drops/lands. I don't put too much weight into these tests, cause if you drop a phone from 5ft and up on concrete its going to take damage whether it be external or internal.

Nov 25, 2010
It's terrible testing. The degree of damage all depends on how the phone hits the floor, rather than from what height it falls. This is shown nicely by the S3 which was fine after the kids chucked it up, but was smashed when in slid off the car.

To get meaningful results you would have to do many repeats, grade the damage and average it. Of course, no one has enough money to do countless repeats, which is why these tests are always bull.

Reactions: JSale

nf0rc3r

Oct 10, 2011
SG
It's terrible testing. The degree of damage all depends on how the phone hits the floor, rather than from what height it falls. This is shown nicely by the S3 which was fine after the kids chucked it up, but was smashed when in slid off the car.

To get meaningful results you would have to do many repeats, grade the damage and average it. Of course, no one has enough money to do countless repeats, which is why these tests are always bull.

Its not even a test. Its just square trade's marketing campaign.

Reactions: JSale

vnamee

Apr 4, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
It's probably not fair to compare 2 products when the angle at which it falls can't be controlled. However, does anyone else get a sense that these new devices are more fragile than their previous iterations? It was like impossible to destroy my Vibrant (couldn't even brick it). I wonder if the increased size/weight is responsible.

pnevroq

Feb 18, 2012
www.pnevroq.com
Everything in this test is fair. The same test was with sgs 2 and I phone lost in every way. Just agree that sgs 3 is not that durable. And gorilla glass sucks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Kur0saki

Sep 16, 2010
The test procedure SUCKS *** how can it be a good test? when they are just throwing the phone randomely. If you are making a drop test the 2 phones should drop in the same way/angle/height and so on, to find out exactly how the 2 phones do in damage at the same place.

laztpn0i

Feb 26, 2006
Ca, USA
I think this is a good test. They are basically showing how the phone would be drop dropped NATURALLY! Or close to it as possible. Now they could have done a more complete test, dropping it on the sides, back, and screen, and so on. But that would require for them to get a whole bunch of the phones, and that is costly. So that in mind. I appreciate anyone that does these kind of tests for us to see.

Oh yeah...I will be putting a case on mine:)

gouldy26

Jul 31, 2010
birmingham
i think its fair to say, that the s3 is not as strong as the s2 is, the few tests/videos that have been posted imo confirm this

it could be as the glass is getting bigger, it also gets weaker, makes sense to me

Reactions: soraxd

abenn26

Feb 22, 2011
Gainesville, FL
Everything in this test is fair. The same test was with sgs 2 and I phone lost in every way. Just agree that sgs 3 is not that durable. And gorilla glass sucks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

What am I reading? This is a terrible test if what your going for is a scientific comparison between two devices. There are way too many variables! And just because they did the test before doesnt mean its valid. You could conduct those tests with two S3's and the results would be different from each other.

It's almost impossible to do this test in any type of economic fashion, you would have to make dummy S3's and iphone's with similar weight balance in the phone and load balance on the glass.

Most likely, thousands of tests have been done, both by samsung and apple, on both just the glass piece and dummy phones, in order to make sure that if your phone falls there will be a decent rate of recovery.

riz157

May 23, 2008
London
I think this is a good test. They are basically showing how the phone would be drop dropped NATURALLY! Or close to it as possible. Now they could have done a more complete test, dropping it on the sides, back, and screen, and so on. But that would require for them to get a whole bunch of the phones, and that is costly. So that in mind. I appreciate anyone that does these kind of tests for us to see.

Oh yeah...I will be putting a case on mine:)

I agree when you drop your phone you cant predict how its going to land. Except it fan boys the phone build is asking for trouble...what was that about inspired about nature designed for humans:rolleyes:....lol.

Frostfree

Apr 8, 2008
I didn't see comments about the unscientific nature of these tests when the S2 thrashed the iPhone :rolleyes:

Still getting this but with the knowledge is more fragile.

Celidonius

Mar 5, 2011
I'm very disappointed in Gorilla Glass. I have an Atrix (Gorilla Glass 1) and the screen cracked from a minor fall from 2 feet. Gorilla Glass 2 (with the SGS3 anyway) seems to be not much of an improvement.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Drop Drop Drop
    drop it, throw it, let it fly off your car, its all here

must... not... drop... my... S3......

Its not even a test. Its just square trade's marketing campaign.
    i think its fair to say, that the s3 is not as strong as the s2 is, the few tests/videos that have been posted imo confirm this

it could be as the glass is getting bigger, it also gets weaker, makes sense to me