FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[05.09.2012] Got Brickbug ? v1.2

11,416 posts
Thanks Meter: 88,049

By Chainfire, Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 5th June 2012, 04:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th June 2012, 03:43 AM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 528

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeqkhan

I have an unknown chip see the screenshot. Now dont know should b happy or not...
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Do you want to exchange your note with mine?

6th June 2012, 04:38 AM |#52  
Flag Mobile, AL
Thanks Meter: 306

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandoHD

You are advising people to stay away from Samsung ROMS, are you sure this is correct?

Is this issue not a Kernel issue, therefore the ROM is of no consequence, but the kernel/recovery is what is really responsible for the issue

As far as my understanding goes, and from reading in the relevant thread that is dealing with this issue, ROMS were never discussed, Kernels were, you can use any ROM you like, the fix is at a kernel level

On another note, since Chainfire was able to release this tool that can check if your hardware is the one affected, is it at all possible to release a tool that can check to see if the kernel you are running has the dangerous code disabled???

I'm saying avoid Samsung roms, absolutely. Yes, it is only the Samsung kernel. But, it is easier to just avoid the entire Samsung official ROMs for noobs.

The franco and speedmod kernels are stock (kinda) and they just disabled the MMC_Cap_erase code. So, they are pretty safe. If you HAVE to run a Samsung rom, you can flash one of these kernels. I was just making it easier on users.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeqkhan

I have an unknown chip see the screenshot. Now dont know should b happy or not...

That's odd. Probably a good thing. You might have a Note that is a rare bird without the faulty emmc chip firmware.
The Following User Says Thank You to andreww88 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift andreww88 Ad-Free
6th June 2012, 04:48 AM |#53  
Thanks Meter: 597

More
Damn my Note shows VYL00M brickbug too

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
6th June 2012, 05:04 AM |#54  
Flag Karachi
Thanks Meter: 96

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy124

Do you want to exchange your note with mine?

Lol
Why would u want to? Is chip on my unit safe??

6th June 2012, 05:46 AM |#55  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 237

More
Infected

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA
6th June 2012, 07:12 AM |#56  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv1sory

Quote:

And the next thing we would need is an app that shows if parts of the chip are already corrupted

+1 I heard the only way to find out is by reading the bad sectors which in turn would then brick it.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Why would it brick it? IMHO you would get an IO error.
Of course it depends on how the access function works, what it does when reading. I am by no means an expert here.
But as far as I know the bricks happen because something at the beginning of the chip gets corrupted (where the toc of the chip sits), which makes any other future operation fail. When accessing the chip sector by sector, reading it, nothing should be written. Therefore no brick.
But maybe that's a too simplistic view maybe something is written.
But this would increase the danger even more because that would mean as soon as a sector is bad by erasing something on it every future operation on it could cause a brick. That'S the point where everyone turns to CM9 ...
6th June 2012, 08:05 AM |#57  
Flag Cork
Thanks Meter: 1,238

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww88

Or just flash last GB and stay on it and don't worry about flashing ICS.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

CM9 ROMs and kernels are SAFE. You do not have to stop flashing the nightlies. The Samsung official and leaked ROMs and kernels are the faulty ones. Franco and Speedmod kernels are safe as well.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

The emmc bug is on the official and leaked Samsung ROMs and kernels. On the Note, CM9 is safe. I'm not sure which ROMs are safe for SII but I'm sure CM9 is one of them. Avoid wiping data on the Samsung ROMs, or in my opinion, avoid Samsung ROMs entirely.

You forgot to mention Siyah kernel is now safe as well on the S2..
On Siyah MMC_cap_erase = 0.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KennyLegend For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KennyLegend Ad-Free
6th June 2012, 09:20 AM |#58  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Silly question maybe but: if the chip is the same or not the problem isn't it possible to overwrite the x19 firmware with a safe firmware?

6th June 2012, 09:42 AM |#59  
Flag Cork
Thanks Meter: 1,238

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.pragon

Silly question maybe but: if the chip is the same or not the problem isn't it possible to overwrite the x19 firmware with a safe firmware?

It has already been mentioned that it IS possible but Samsung haven't released the permission yet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
6th June 2012, 09:59 AM |#60  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Oh ok

6th June 2012, 03:37 PM |#61  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww88

I'm saying avoid Samsung roms, absolutely. Yes, it is only the Samsung kernel. But, it is easier to just avoid the entire Samsung official ROMs for noobs.

The franco and speedmod kernels are stock (kinda) and they just disabled the MMC_Cap_erase code. So, they are pretty safe. If you HAVE to run a Samsung rom, you can flash one of these kernels. I was just making it easier on users.

Sorry for asking this, but I would be grateful for an answer from a "wise" person on this topic:

According to this app, I do have a vulnerable device. Today, eybee released v4 of his ICS RocketROM (Galaxy Note) and as I really miss the S-Note stuff, I would love to test it.

Is it correct that you suggest to stay away from that ROM? As far as I got the things right, there are safe kernel alternatives (e.g. franco), is this correct? So why isn´t there a flashable TouchWiz based ROM without the buggy kernel? Why isn´t e.g. francos kernel included from the beginning on?

I would be so glad to get some suggestions/help here
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)