[Q] AT&T $50 Prepaid Unlimited - Smartphone Data Working Included??

Search This thread

DJSYNTHVIRUS

Apr 13, 2008
AFAIK as long as its a euro phone thats not in the AT&T database you could get away with that phone. You most likely will have to change an apn or some other trickery but ive seen it work

eskay89

Apr 21, 2012
It's one of the Oceania models, the Sensation z710a with the UMTS 850/1900/2100 bands. AFAIK this version was never sold officially in the US so they may not have the IMEI's loaded.

Eh guess I'll just have to wait and see.

iregret

Jan 28, 2012
i tried this plan with my nokia e72 (international), and 3g actually works. i dont know why they have to exclude the data for smart phones.

bunty83

Mar 16, 2012
little secret

me and my friend using smartphone on at&t prepaid $50 service.

here is little secret . company cannot found about imei number.

buy refurbished smartphone phone from third party(like newegg,tigerdirect or ebay)
at&t never has refurbished imei in there data. i buy at&t refurbished unlock phone and call them for unlock code for fun(its already unlock). she told me its not in there system. whenever i call with oem att phone . they always know what kind phone is it.

best buy to see if att recognize your phone. put att sim in your phone and check your att account online. if it show what kind phone in your account you using then att know about that .

eskay89

Apr 21, 2012
I be in the US in a few days so will be able to give this a go and let you know results.

From what I have gathered combined with assumption/educated guess:

AT&T obviously will have all of the IMEI numbers for the phones they stock/have stocked.

They could (if it's possible) also have the IMEI's of other providers GSM stock in the US.

But I highly doubt they would have IMEI's of handsets that they do not/have not stocked, that would take A LOT of work.

During the online registration of GoPhone SIM cards, AT&T asks for the IMEI of the phone you want to use. Apparently you can just type 111111111111111 (1 x 15) and it will accept it.

Again all just theory, but I think the general consensus is that if it's not a phone that AT&T sell/sold, meaning they don't have the IMEI, that you will get away with it.

MrObvious

Mar 1, 2008
Wichita KS
I'm guessing that IMEI numbers have ranges like MAC addresses. Maybe that's one way they could tell what kind of phone you have.

Sent from my XT862 using XDA

InfantryMarc

Jul 8, 2011
Arkansas
when i activated my go phone account for my galaxy s2 i777, i told them i wanted the $50 unlimited plan with the data. they explained to me that since my phone is a "4g" phone they do not cover a data plan for it. that as far as they know they have no foreseeable timeline to roll one out. which makes it to where i cant even send mms messages. and this was about 2 months ago when i called. and have tried every month since activating my card to get the data to work. ive even spent 2+ hours on the phone with tech support trying to figure out why i cant send a picture.

but as long as ur phone isnt considered a 4g phone, the data plan would work for ur device. hope that helps some.

deathnotice01

Feb 19, 2012
Cebu
I be in the US in a few days so will be able to give this a go and let you know results.

From what I have gathered combined with assumption/educated guess:

AT&T obviously will have all of the IMEI numbers for the phones they stock/have stocked.

They could (if it's possible) also have the IMEI's of other providers GSM stock in the US.

But I highly doubt they would have IMEI's of handsets that they do not/have not stocked, that would take A LOT of work.

During the online registration of GoPhone SIM cards, AT&T asks for the IMEI of the phone you want to use. Apparently you can just type 111111111111111 (1 x 15) and it will accept it.

Again all just theory, but I think the general consensus is that if it's not a phone that AT&T sell/sold, meaning they don't have the IMEI, that you will get away with it.

we have a wide range of databases in siebel and mycsp (inter-company databases)
we know all the phones we shipped and all the connections from companies using our service,
we have access for tech support and savedesk (customer svc), but general sales support does not have such tools to check such databases

fatclue

Jul 15, 2010
Miami, FloriDuh
we have a wide range of databases in siebel and mycsp (inter-company databases)
we know all the phones we shipped and all the connections from companies using our service,
we have access for tech support and savedesk (customer svc), but general sales support does not have such tools to check such databases
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the gophone $50 plan for MediaNet?

10xOXR

Oct 10, 2010
I have the HTC One X, purchased and unlocked in the United Kingdom. Would AT&T have the IMEI range that would include this phone? I know that they'll have the records for all phones they stocked and those sold on other US networks, but what about those from the UK and Europe? Can I just bring my phone over, slot in the $50 Unlimited SIM and go from there with data access?

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I have the HTC One X, purchased and unlocked in the United Kingdom. Would AT&T have the IMEI range that would include this phone? I know that they'll have the records for all phones they stocked and those sold on other US networks, but what about those from the UK and Europe? Can I just bring my phone over, slot in the $50 Unlimited SIM and go from there with data access?

They won't know. If they ask you for the IMEI, give it to them but tell them it's some Samsung flip phone or something. Because I've heard they ask people for the IMEI and device type now. Other than that you should be fine.

Mesaman2012

Jun 13, 2012
So I could use this plan on my T-Mobile amaze and get 3G unlimited data?how about 4G? Thanks!!!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G with Beats Audio using xda app-developers app

MrObvious

Mar 1, 2008
Wichita KS
So I could use this plan on my T-Mobile amaze and get 3G unlimited data?how about 4G? Thanks!!!

4G is really just a faster form of T-Mobile's 3G. It uses the same technology. It may not hit the 42Mbps speeds that T-Mobile hits but it should still hit 21Mbps IIRC. I think that's part of the reason AT&T is deploying LTE.

Reactions: Mesaman2012

InfantryMarc

Jul 8, 2011
Arkansas
Wonder if the red be a way to call in to at&t and say w.e phone ur using now is broken, say ur using a non 4g phone for and to activate your data then re-swap the sim back if data would still work or not?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    $50 prepaid simcards lol I would never pay that much for a prepaid sim card ever. I bought both my phones: previous Rokr E6 and the current X1i and simcards from myworldphone.com. For the E6 my $15 T-mobile simcard cost me about $15 with credit and my At@t prepaid one cost me $8.50 non active. Now for the non active simcard I had active it and then put money on it(depending on the plan I wanted) but it beats paying $50 for simcard when you can buy one for $8.50 and then switch to the $50 unlimited plan. Now looking at the rate plan options it says: " 1Monthly Unlimited Talk, Text & Web plan requires an eligible device. Smartphone users must purchase a data package to use Data on this plan. Pay per use data is not available on Smartphones." I'm not sure what exactly eligible device really means but when I first bought my phone I had the option to switch to the unlimited plan, something funny I noticed was it says smartphone cannot use pay per use data, well it's available to me :). I only use wifi for my internet because I use my laptop for browsing the internet and really only use the internet on my phone for updating Touch Weather but if I need to I can use the pay per use data which I rarely only do for MMS. I don't know if it's the type of prepaid simcard(National prepaid simcard) I'm using that allows me to get through this loop hole or not but if it is I'm not complaining :D. Just my .2cents
    I have the plan running on my Galaxy S II, it was kind of tough to get going, and until I turned on airplan mode and then turned it off again, was I able to connect to 3g and H+ instead of just edge. The AT&T store employees also had a hell of a time, getting it to work at first. I did pop the SIM into an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S, and it worked after I went too settings, wireless networks, and then selected GSM only. The only APN available is Cingular 410, which is the wap.cingular. I am getting full 4g service on both devices, so I'm happy.

Note the AT&T stores dont always have the $50 pre-paid sim card in the store because I believe you can only do this on "International phones" according to the guy who helped me (whatever that means, I'm sure they are wrong.) I did explain how the Galaxy S II was unlocked and that I had bought it in Europe, but they still didn't have the actual $50 dollar sim card, so instead they gave me a regular 4g sim card ($25 charge) and then used two $25 pre-paid data plan cards (actual cards like iTune gift cards.) As I said above, they had some issues getting the $50 dollar plan to work, but it eventually did using this method. If anyone is in NJ the store I used was in the Paramus Mall.

ok a few things. First to answer OP's question is yes, it is possible with any unlocked phone. problem is that AT&T has certain IMEI numbers that are recognized as smart phone IMEI's. Like my friend had an HD2 that he brought to AT&T and they recognized it and immediately changed his data plan to a smartphone data plan. Although there are other people with smartphones who have the AT&T system tricked because the system doesnt know what their IMEI number is for.

So yes, it is possible. And yes, as for the NON-Smartphone $50 unlimited talk, txt, and data plan, yes it does exist. AT&T just started it recently and no its not for just international. Its directed towards NON-Smartphones. But again, if they cant recognize your smartphone IMEI, then they wont know.

As for the $50 sim card, no there's no such thing as a $50 sim card and no, its not "just for international phones" haha. Sim cards are $5.95 and if a store tells you anything higher, then call AT&T sales. Because they are ALWAYS $5.95 over the phone.

BOOM! glad to help haha
    PS. there is a possibility that later on they will recognize your IMEI and will notify you (usually by a text msg) telling you that they are switching your plan to a smartphone plan. If they have done this, then they probably finally found out that the IMEI you're using is actually a smartphone. And that sucks haha.

Its also possible they wont ever know. chances are they will once they get the list of IMEI's and what phones they actually are for. I dont know how often they update their list of IMEI's so no telling how long you'll get away with it. some people have successfully done so for months or years. so we will see :D

good luck!! :D:D;)[/QUOTE]

I've had my phone for 1 year and 9 months now if they were going to do something they would have already, and Sony also stopped making the X1i awhile ago so as for as my IMEI being recognized I'm not worried at all about it ;) .
    I've had my phone for 1 year and 9 months now if they were going to do something they would have already, and Sony also stopped making the X1i awhile ago so as for as my IMEI being recognized I'm not worried at all about it ;) .

NICE. haha yea like I said, some phones they might eventually find out, and some they wont. You happen to be one of the ones they probably wont find. Enjoy that haha:D

4G is really just a faster form of T-Mobile's 3G. It uses the same technology. It may not hit the 42Mbps speeds that T-Mobile hits but it should still hit 21Mbps IIRC. I think that's part of the reason AT&T is deploying LTE.