[GUIDE] Iconia A100 ROOT and AD-HOC wi-fi enabled

Search This thread
Sep 5, 2009
Hi everybody. I've bought my A100 one month ago and i've rooted and added ad-hoc patch for it in order to have internet through wm cellphone.

i've rooted with this guide

androidforums.com/iconia-tab-a100-all-things-root/401598-rooting-a100.html

and added ad-hoc with this one:

batista70phone.com/2011/05/supporto-per-reti-ad-hoc-su-acer-iconia-a500/ (is in italian, if you need english tell me, I can translate it)

To avoid problems open the page from the tablet and copy/paste the commands, and remeber to SWITCH OFF WIFI AS SOON AS POSSIBLE before playing with the wifi files!!

I've also added to my winmo phone ( diamond ) WMWifiRouter in orde to share the connection from 3g on the phone to wi-fi on the tablet.

Everything works. You have only to start WMWiFiRouter on diamond or other wm6 device and than looking in the wifi list on tablet for the wireless just created ( Office Lan....etc ).

For convenience activate on cellphone "wifi always on" also if "display is off" trough Diamond Tweaks.

I hope this can be useful for someone else ;-)

Reactions: marcusjbid

Sean Foster

Oct 18, 2011
English guide for enabling ad-hoc

I would greatly appreciate it if you would translate the guide for enabling ad-hoc capabilities for the a100. I can't seem to find a guide anywhere else and, alas, I don't speak Italian. Thank you so much!

-Sean

EDIT: if it is easier, you can send it to my E-mail (fosters.orders@gmail.com)

Last edited:

painter_

Dec 10, 2006
North Eastern Ohio
I would greatly appreciate it if you would translate the guide for enabling ad-hoc capabilities for the a100. I can't seem to find a guide anywhere else and, alas, I don't speak Italian. Thank you so much!

-Sean

EDIT: if it is easier, you can send it to my E-mail (fosters.orders@gmail.com)

I used this site to translate it to English.
http://translate.googleusercontent....033314&usg=ALkJrhhTGzTt752dLWUy168U5FSsyzNFZA

It pointed back to an XDA thread that pointed back to this post. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1033314
It should be enough to get you going.

Edit:
I am not going to spoon feed and send it to your email.

andybicsc

Oct 27, 2011
still having problems with ad hoc access

i followed the instructions to root the tablet. this worked fine. i then followed instructions to replace the wpa_supplicant file with the one found on this forum for the motorola xoom that is meant to give ad hoc capabilities. i know the file replaced fine as the way the a100 behaves with regards wireless has changed. before there seemed to be a bug that it would always turn off the wireless when the screen went off no matter what the wireless behavior settings were. now it never turns off wireless even if the screen goes off.
if i set up a wireless network from my laptop using the intel My Wifi software if connects fine with WPA, it did this out the box. however if i set up an ad hoc netork on my laptop it will not connect correctly.
1. If I use WPA it just keeps saying connecing ---disconncted repeatedly
2. If I use WEP or no encryption it gets to the point of obtaining an ip address but never gets any further.
I have only tried with DHCP
Also with the ad hoc network it seems to make multiple networks in the wireless networks on the tab.
I was hoping someone could give me some specific help on this and maybe some up to date advice on the usbb host issue.
Thanks in advance.

andybicsc

Oct 27, 2011
thanks for your help yes it seems i am the only one who is still having problems! i am working on a ship now and maybe the server here is causing issues. i will be home tomorrow and can try then.
when you set up your ad hoc in windows do you select WPA or WEP, funny I thought ad hoc only had WEP security. why does w7 offer WPA on ad hoc?
thanks andy

andybicsc

Oct 27, 2011
thanks I tested at home. Still can't connect with adhoc on my laptop with wep wpa or no authentication but works fine on my huwei e585 which is a bit of a mystery I will try and fine another laptop to test it with.....thanks for your support though.......do you know any solution to the USB host issue on the a100?

andybicsc

Oct 27, 2011
hi there is another issue with the a100 i was hoping to solve. you cannot mount a usb device like a thumb drive on it. the a500 had a standard pc type usb port and you could mount a usb drive on it. although you can get a mini usb male to ubs female 'usb on the go' cable apparently it wont work on the a100. i have seen some feedback regarding this on blogs but no solutions. any ideas? Andy

andybicsc

Oct 27, 2011
ad hoc again

hi again...have juts discovered that my huwei e585 modem actually provides infrastructure not ad hoc which is why my a100 tablet works with it. i think i still have a problem with ad hoc on my a100. i went through the process of getting the new wpa_supplicant file in /system/bin and i checked it has the same permisions as the original file but still no luck...can anyone help? I still cant connect my a100 to an ad hoc network provided by my laptop.

andybicsc

Oct 27, 2011
yes, i used root explorer to copy the wpa_supplicant and I made sure I had the airplane mode on and wireless off when I did it.I just tried the whole process again and the same result. my a100 has android 3.2. I also made sure the permissions are exactly the same as the original file.
Andy

Daniel0318

Nov 2, 2011
Hello. I am an Android newb. I have been trying to correct this issue for over a week to no avail. Please advice.

I've tried rooting my A100 by inputting (copy/paste) the proper commands on the a100 itself in a terminal emulator, but have had no success. The commands cause no obvious response when entered into the terminal, but when I checked xbin for su, it's there. I've installed the superuser apk, but busybox install fails due to lack of root. Repeating the process doesn't change anything.

I've also tried rooting via the ADB method. The results are the same. su is in xbin folder; however, I cannot install busybox because I am not rooted.

The last bit of info I can provide about my situation is this. I have root checker installed on my A100. I do not get the same result each time I click "verify root". Sometimes it tells me that I'm rooted and sometimes it tells me that I'm not rooted????

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information. I need some help please.

Daniel0318

Nov 2, 2011
Execute the commands fropm terminal emulation.

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'
/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'
/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

NOTE: You must have to copy moded su to your sd card , /mnt/sdcard

@Sent from My Acer Iconia A100

These are the same commands that I have previously entered via terminal emulator and I tried again via ADB method. I have tried multiple times.

I'm not sure what you mean by "You must have to copy moded su to your sd card , /mnt/sdcard". Are you referring to the su file in my xbin folder? If so, I cannot copy it because I am not rooted. Every time I execute the aforementioned commands, the su file in my xbin folder gets modified. The size of the su file in my xbin folder is 0.00K, is this normal?

Thanks for responding, please offer further guidance if you can.

andybicsc

Oct 27, 2011
hi i am no expert but i got the root to work fine with these instructions. as long as you copied the new su file to your xbin folder the third command on the list should take care of everything.
then you have to do the busybox and super user thing
Step 6: Install BusyBox from the Market

Step 7: Install SuperUser from the market, this is the APK version this time. This is going to update the SU file and install the SuperUser app.

ismael_janice

Feb 28, 2012
Hi,

I just brought my new acer iconia a100 model 3 weeks ago.I want to ask if it is ok to use the 3g connection of samsung galaxy y in the iconia.Also i want a english translation for the ad hoc for easy understanding.can you email me at ismael_escano15@yahoo.com for the answer.I'll wait for your answer.
Thank you.

Hi everybody. I've bought my A100 one month ago and i've rooted and added ad-hoc patch for it in order to have internet through wm cellphone.

batista70phone.com/2011/05/supporto-per-reti-ad-hoc-su-acer-iconia-a500/ (is in italian, if you need english tell me, I can translate it)

To avoid problems open the page from the tablet and copy/paste the commands, and remeber to SWITCH OFF WIFI AS SOON AS POSSIBLE before playing with the wifi files!!

I've also added to my winmo phone ( diamond ) WMWifiRouter in orde to share the connection from 3g on the phone to wi-fi on the tablet.

Everything works. You have only to start WMWiFiRouter on diamond or other wm6 device and than looking in the wifi list on tablet for the wireless just created ( Office Lan....etc ).

For convenience activate on cellphone "wifi always on" also if "display is off" trough Diamond Tweaks.

marcusjbid

Apr 13, 2012
I tried the opening poster's ad-hoc fix on my iconia a100 ICS leak, and it worked great. This is where the instructions are (in italian, but translated by google, it was understandable) Now I can get wifi from my jailbroken iphone 3gs with mywi app.

batista70phone.com/2011/05/supporto-per-reti-ad-hoc-su-acer-iconia-a500/

I did notice that the status bar icon that shows wifi doesn't seem to be showing signal strength properly.

Last edited:

marcusjbid

Apr 13, 2012
Anyone have another supplicant file I could try? After the latest upgrade OTA, I can't connect to my iPhone's ad-hoc anymore.

Sent from my A100 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I did notice that the status bar icon that shows wifi doesn't seem to be showing signal strength properly.

Yeah, personally I have solved this issue with this wpa_supplicant, extracted from taboonay a500 rom.. I hope it can be usefull! :)