The OnePlus 6 is officially on sale! Buy now →
FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
OnePlus 6 On Sale

[DEV] Project Android Linaro [100% MORE POWERFUL AND FASTER THAN GOOGLE ANDROID DEV]

467 posts
Thanks Meter: 354

Post Reply Email Thread

Look Here: http://www.linaro.org/

The project Linaro perhaps you've already heard. Emerged a few days ago and shown in the demo, is a version of Android 4.0.4 stock, so no customization, whose code has been modified and optimized so very special. The result is amazing because with the same hardware and same software version, Android Linaro is up to 100% more powerful and faster than the version developed by Google Android. The video in recent days has made ​​a little 'round the web, although not show anything significant for the less experienced.

Example Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mrQRYmYip6Q

About Linaro
Home About Linaro
The paragraphs below and the links on the left should give you access to all you need to know about Linaro. Alternatively, take a look at our latest introductory presentation. If you have any questions that remain unanswered, please contact Steve Taylor at contactus@linaro.org.

WHAT DOES LINARO DO?
Linaro is a not-for-profit engineering organization with over 120 engineers working on consolidating and optimizing open source software for the ARM architecture, including the GCC toolchain, the Linux kernel, ARM power management, graphics and multimedia interfaces.
To ensure commecial quality software, Linaro's work includes comprehensive test and validation on member hardware platforms. The full scope of Linaro's engineering work is open to all online. Open engineering has been practised from the start at Linaro with plans, specifications and progress available for inspection on the developer Wiki. Linaro is distribution neutral: it wants to provide the best software foundations to everyone, and to reduce non-differentiating and costly low level fragmentation.

THE VALUE OF LINARO
Linaro's key value is in working on generic ARM technology that is common to all ARM SoC vendors. In this way engineering costs are shared, rather than each vendor having to implement core software technology themselves, which has resulted in fragmentation and overhead in maintaining code that cannot be upstreamed to the mainline Linux kernel and other open source projects. Linaro's output is used by its members, and by distributions including Android, Ubuntu and OEM/ODM customized versions of Linux. In addition to sharing development costs, Linaro reduces the cost of maintenance for members with its focus on upstreaming into key open source projects including GCC and Kernel.org, and the implementation of standards, such as DeviceTree, which reduce the amount of work involved in bringing up multiple platforms.

LINARO AND ITS MEMBERS
Linaro was established in June 2010 by founding members ARM, Freescale, IBM, Samsung, ST-Ericsson and Texas instruments (TI). Members provide engineering resources and funding. Linaro's goals are to deliver value to its members through enabling their engineering teams to focus on differentiation and product delivery, and to reduce time to market for OEM/ODMs delivering open source based products using ARM technology.

THE LINARO ORGANIZATION
The direction of Linaro is determined by its board of directors, formed from representatives of member companies and the CEO of Linaro. Execution of long-term objectives and delivery of nearer term development roadmaps is assigned to the Linaro management team and Technical Steering Committee (TSC). The TSC includes senior engineers from each of the Linaro member companies plus Linaro's CTO and VP of engineering. Under the management team and TSC, Linaro's engineering team is split in to working groups, platform engineering and landing teams. The Meet the Team page introduces the members of all the teams and the structure of the working groups, platform engineering and landing teams is introduced on the Engineering pages.

HOW LINARO DIFFERS FROM ANDROID, UBUNTU, THE LINUX FOUNDATION AND OTHERS
Linaro is not a Linux distribution. The organization provides great software and tools for distributions to pull from (including OEMs who want to develop an in-house Linux). Linaro's aim is to provide a common software and tools foundation for the industry to use - making it easier and quicker to develop Linux-based products. Linaro's software focus is on areas that interact directly with the silicon such as multimedia, graphics, power management, kernel and boot. Distributions such as Android, Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Tizen and Ubuntu provide the full user experience whereas Linaro enhances the upstream projects directly and provides useful components to any downstream distributions that wish to leverage the work done by Linaro.
Linaro supports organizations like the Linux Foundation, which aim to promote, protect and enhance the use of Linux across a broad range of platforms, but it is focused on solving engineering challenges and making it easier to use Linux on devices based on the ARM architecture and, in particular, on ARM Cortex processors.

HOW TO GET INVOLVED
There are many ways for organizations and individuals to contribute to Linaro's work. For ARM licensees, SoC providers, commercial distributions and leading commercial Linux organizations, membership allows companies to sponsor and direct Linaro's activities. For other organizations involved in Linux development, including OEMs, ODMs, technology providers, software integrators and providers, and carriers and service providers, the Linaro Partner program provides a means to contribute engineering resource and work closely with the Linaro engineering team. For individuals, Linaro is a vibrant community with many ways to contribute, there is an overview of these under Engineering: Getting Started.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to loan92 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift loan92 Ad-Free

10th June 2012, 11:45 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,050

Donate to Me
More
The core code has already been submitted to cyanogenmods gerrit. After review and if everything is good it will be merged.

I am not sure how this is offering anything to development, while it sounds cool.... This is more of a information thread and not development IMO.

Read about it on android police, here. If you have a galaxy nexus you can give it a test.

You can see some benchmarks here aswell as grabbing a build for your Verizon galaxy nexus. While faster in some its also slower in others... Make your own call I guess.
10th June 2012, 12:04 PM |#3  
Flag Monaghan
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Is there any way of adding some of this code to sense 4 ROMs?
10th June 2012, 12:07 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1,956

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcb123

Is there any way of adding some of this code to sense 4 ROMs?

No.
This can only be applied to source code built rom's.

Maybe next year HTC May use it in a new phone, but don't expect to see anything soon if ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vorbeth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Vorbeth Ad-Free
10th June 2012, 12:53 PM |#5  
Flag Viersen
Thanks Meter: 309

More
This is great. I got plans to build to mini PC and the Linaro Image would be perfect. Does anyone tried this in a mini desktop pc? Like with a Pandaboard or so?
10th June 2012, 02:59 PM |#6  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,264

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorbeth

No.
This can only be applied to source code built rom's.

Maybe next year HTC May use it in a new phone, but don't expect to see anything soon if ever.

that's what I thought...by the way, I'd like to know your opinion about this project @Vorbeth...
10th June 2012, 04:01 PM |#7  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by memnoc

that's what I thought...by the way, I'd like to know your opinion about this project @Vorbeth...

Most if not all has already been merged into cyanogen

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to Vorbeth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Vorbeth Ad-Free
10th June 2012, 04:49 PM |#8  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,264

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorbeth

Most if not all has already been merged into cyanogen

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA

in other words, no revolution uh?
10th June 2012, 04:55 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 925

More
Linaro is not HTC Specific
10th June 2012, 04:57 PM |#10  
Recognized Developer
Flag IN YOUR HEAD
Thanks Meter: 4,123

Donate to Me
More
1. Wrong section

2. And no, we are yet to merge the code in CM, only a few bits which won't affect the current builds are in.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA
10th June 2012, 06:26 PM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdesai

1. Wrong section

2. And no, we are yet to merge the code in CM, only a few bits which won't affect the current builds are in.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA

Agreed, although a lot is in pending gerrit submissions
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)