[APP][2.2+] ButlerSMS Auto Reply

Search This thread

panmoto

Feb 17, 2010
@zales : you are welcome, anything with motion control is awesome :)

and I think Kyshara's idea about wildcard-ing is great.
I would not waste money to auto-reply a spam SMS or sms that come from other countries.

ZeroCool2u

Feb 19, 2011
Iowa City
Maybe I'm just stupid...

I can't get it to work at all. It seems to have installed successfully, but none of the features are working. The GPS auto-reply doesn't work, none of the modes do anything, I don't get any sort of prompts for a reply ever. :(

I'm running on a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V (LGVM670) running CyanogenMod 7.1.0.1 which runs GB 2.3.7 with the BobZhome kernel.

Anyways, I'm sorry if I just went full retard and you just need ICS or something simple and I didn't see it, but just wanted to let you know and best of luck to you! This app looks fantastic, I wish I could use it!

PS In terms of marketing, the GPS auto-reply would be sick when I'm back in school and go out with my friends and we're all wasted and we lose someone. Being able to find them with this is perfect. The point is, you could make a **** ton of money marketing this to drunk college students hahaha!:D

zalez

Oct 19, 2009
I can't get it to work at all. It seems to have installed successfully, but none of the features are working. The GPS auto-reply doesn't work, none of the modes do anything, I don't get any sort of prompts for a reply ever. :(

I'm running on a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V (LGVM670) running CyanogenMod 7.1.0.1 which runs GB 2.3.7 with the BobZhome kernel.

Anyways, I'm sorry if I just went full retard and you just need ICS or something simple and I didn't see it, but just wanted to let you know and best of luck to you! This app looks fantastic, I wish I could use it!

PS In terms of marketing, the GPS auto-reply would be sick when I'm back in school and go out with my friends and we're all wasted and we lose someone. Being able to find them with this is perfect. The point is, you could make a **** ton of money marketing this to drunk college students hahaha!:D

I run GB on my phone also.

Do you have any type of firewall blocking permissions? You are the first to tell me it doesn't work. Feel free to PM me because I am very curious on why it doesn't work. The one thing I have come across is one user with verizon that had premium text messaging blocked. Not sure how or why a block for receiving premium texts blocks the sms api for android. Anyway, PM me and we will try to figure this one out.

Reactions: ZeroCool2u

tharaka

Mar 8, 2011
Colombo
I wrote a debug level app like this for a seasonal issue..
We have friends and relatives wishing us for the new year (yeah yeah..all of you have the case) so to reply each one is a pain in the back.
What I did was to write an app in eclipse which replies to others saying "wish you the same" when the text "happy new year" or similar appears

Can you do something like that here?

When someone sends and SMS with a specific word pattern in the content, you reply with a pre-set message or even a "smart" reply using the same words in the original SMS.

Reactions: zalez

zalez

Oct 19, 2009
I wrote a debug level app like this for a seasonal issue..
We have friends and relatives wishing us for the new year (yeah yeah..all of you have the case) so to reply each one is a pain in the back.
What I did was to write an app in eclipse which replies to others saying "wish you the same" when the text "happy new year" or similar appears

Can you do something like that here?

When someone sends and SMS with a specific word pattern in the content, you reply with a pre-set message or even a "smart" reply using the same words in the original SMS.

This is definitely doable. Once I get the other features added, I will work on this. I assume some type of functionality would be like this: User sets pattern to look for, ie (happy merry Christmas new year thanksgiving) and then sets a predefined reply ie ( wish you the same). Does that sound about right?

Also, quick update, I just finished implementing the car dock mode change.
I will continue to work on the list and when I get a few more features added, I will update the OP with a newer release.

zalez

Oct 19, 2009
OP Updated with new release 6/13/2012.

Note that this release had significant changes done to the database and therefore will erase and reset ButlerSMS to defaults.

Thank you to all that continue to give me excellent feature ideas and feedback!

zalez

Oct 19, 2009
I cannot get the setting setting right. It's not auto replying.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

When you turn it on and someone sends you a text nothing is replied to the other person?

Do you get the notification that it has replied(in notification area)?

What carrier do you have?
What phone?
What version of android?
Do you have any premium text blocks on your account?

The app should be able to turn on and start working. Nothing fancy needs to be set up for it to work.

zalez

Oct 19, 2009
Has anyone on ICS experienced any "bleed" over or remnants of the settings tab going over the status or custom reply tabs when switching from any tab to the settings tab then to the status tab fast?

magesh_magi1

Aug 5, 2011
Another App with similar function

Dude please don't mistake me here. I was using another app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmnlab.autoresponder&hl=en
which does the same .

I can really understand that your app is at infant stage.
But one suggestion from my side, you can treat Calls and SMS as different. I may not want to reply All SMS , but I may want to reply for Calls..
Also if this profile is activated I can get first one or two rings and then I can send the auto sms, if I haven't attended by that time then only we have to send SMS..
I'm sure you are working on the UI inline with ICS design ..
All the best man.. thanks for sharing the App.. I will check the updates and post my feedback ...

Reactions: zalez

zalez

Oct 19, 2009
I will put that on the todo list. Thanks! Currently, I am working on the layout. I have changed it a couple times and probably will continue to do so until I am happy with it.

Dude please don't mistake me here. I was using another app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmnlab.autoresponder&hl=en
which does the same .

I can really understand that your app is at infant stage.
But one suggestion from my side, you can treat Calls and SMS as different. I may not want to reply All SMS , but I may want to reply for Calls..
Also if this profile is activated I can get first one or two rings and then I can send the auto sms, if I haven't attended by that time then only we have to send SMS..
I'm sure you are working on the UI inline with ICS design ..
All the best man.. thanks for sharing the App.. I will check the updates and post my feedback ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Overview: ButlerSMS is a sms auto responder.

If you would like to support my work, feel free to purchase the app from google play. (It is on sale for $0.99 right now :) )
    ButlerSMS

Check second post for what is currently being worked on.
    NOTE: This new version has significant changes to the database.
    To prevent force closes, I had to force the app to empty your current database.
    All custom responses will be lost and settings will be set back to default.

UPDATED 6/13/12
    What's new:
    • Added "Silent Mode" - when your phone's ringer is turned down to silent, if this is enabled, it will prompt you to turn ButlerSMS on.
    • Added "Auto Off" - When enabled, you will be offered a timer to have ButlerSMS automatically turn off. (this is only available if turning app on from the actually application and not the widget)
    • CarDock Mode - When docked in a car, ButlerSMS will automatically turn on.

KNOWN ISSUES:
    • Shake Mode is an option, but not yet available
    • Text To Speech plays over phone and Bluetooth when connected to a media device.
    • The "button" to set the GPS locator password is not functional. You can still set it by toggling the GPS checkbox.

Features:
    • Custom responses
    • Personalized responses to individual numbers you set
    • 3 different preset modes - Normal, driving and movie
    • Widget for home screen to toggle normal mode on/off
    • Text to Speech - Reads sms messages to you when enabled
    • Reply Timer - App will not reply until after a preset time has elapsed (after their first sms) that is user changeable
    • GPS Locator - This will respond to a user that sends a pass phrase that you control (pass phrase is set when gps locator is enabled and is cleared when it is disabled).
    • Voice response - If TTS is enabled, you can send a sms msg via voice. This will unlock your phone to allow you to safely reply to a sms msg. The screen will timeout after 20 seconds of inactivity (not touching the screen) or after you send a voice reply.
    • Improved TTS by controlling audio volume - When a SMS is received, the audio volume will be muted while your sms is read to you. The volume will raise when it is done reading.
    • Blacklisting - (Or whitelisting) Numbers in this list will not be replied to.
    • Re-organized the GUI on the settings page. Makes a lot more sense now (I hope) - Thanks okmijnlp for pointing it out :)
    • Voice Reply is now an option that can be turned off

What I am looking for:
    • Bugs - This has been tested on many GB systems. ICS has not been tested much and I am looking for bugs on it.
    • New Features - You tell me what you would like in a SMS auto responder. If enough people want it (or it just plainly makes sense), I will add it.
    Also, please let me know if anyone receives any type of notification sound during a call when you actually don't have a notification.

What you get in return:
    Unlimited use, updates and credit of new ideas added.

I want to thank everyone that helps out in advance!
    :)

Note: Do not download the market version, please use the attachment to download.
    UPDATED 6/13/2012

Here is what I am working on (Items in green are currently being worked on):

Silent Mode - ButlerSMS will have a setting to either auto turn on or prompt you to turn it on. Progress: completed.

Disable Timer - A Timer that will turn ButlerSMS off after x amount of time have passed. This can be set in a setting or also set to prompt everytime it is enabled.Progress: Completed (thank you Panamon)

Car Dock - Auto enable drive mode when phone is in car dock mode. (thank you uosiumen) Progress: Completed

Mode based reply - ButlerSMS will offer 4 modes (user can name) that can be set for a 24 hr period. ButlerSMS will then turn itself on or off depending on the action the user sets.

Group Reply - Groups can be created and contacts/numbers can be added.

Wild Carding blacklist - Progess: Started
    Couple things I will be working on are:

Adjusting music volume when a sms is read out loud.
    Adding the option to reply by voice when text to speech is enabled.

If anyone would like to see anything else added, let me know. :D
    Getting ready to release an update. One last hurdle to jump with the audiomanager and I will release it.