[How to] Booting ICS ROM without any kernel splash screen

Search This thread

Qdezi

Apr 24, 2012
Ho Chi Minh city
Hello there
After experienced many times upgrading rom from stock firmware to ICS custom, I have a trick for myself and want to share it to you all! That is how to boot into an ICS rom without appearance of kernel splash screen ;)

** Note: This trick is useful with AT&T bootloader only, i've tested with i9k bootloader but unsuccessful.

What needed:
1. Eclair stock firmware: (needed if you're on any custom rom, if you're using stock then don't need to load this one) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=731989
2. Speedmod kernel (to get CWM): this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=893880 ---> download speedmod-kernel-i897-k13c-500hz.tar in attachments box at the bottom of post #1.
3. Elite 10.1 for Captivate (must have): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1567102
4. Your favorite rom, or if Elite is good enough to you, then you don't need to download anymore! Don't forget to put these rom into your Cappy sdcard! :p

Here's the sequence of work:
Again, if you're on stock rom without CWM, then ignore step 1 and jump to step 2!
1. Download mode --> Odin --> back to stock Eclair with AT&T boot loader
2. Download mode --> Odin --> flash Speedmod kernel to get Clockwork Mod Recovery, by putting the file speedmod-kernel-i897-k13c-500hz.tar you've loaded above into PDA box in Odin, then Start and wait till completed
3. Recovery mode --> Install .zip file of Elite 10.1 ROM, wait till finished and you can boot into Elite successfully. You can ignore this booting process if you don't want to use this ROM, by taking battery pack out!
4. Recovery mode --> Flash your favourite rom and kernel in your usual way (wipe cache, dalvik or full wipe)
5. Reboot and you will see, Cappy shows only the AT&T splash screen and never lets any kernel have a chance to show its own logo! :)

I've tested with these ROM: CM9 nightly, SlimICS, ICSSGS with exact steps above and the results are the same: great! I've not tried with AOKP yet, but I think it should work! :D
If anyone try this with AOKP and everything's ok, plz comment so that I'll update into this post!
Hope it helps many Cappy's owners!

Last edited:
Reactions: levanr

docent000

Apr 3, 2011
New Jersey
no Eclair for my replacement phone

Ever since I got a replacement phone (by AT&T warranty) I cannot install Eclair 2.1 using Odin into it.
I can only use the Odin for going back to 2.2 and 2.3
If I install 2.1 on it I get a bootloop and sometimes it bricks - only a jig can get it back to life.
Do you think this will work with 2.2 ?

Qdezi

Apr 24, 2012
Ho Chi Minh city
Ever since I got a replacement phone (by AT&T warranty) I cannot install Eclair 2.1 using Odin into it.
If I install 2.1 on it I get a bootloop and sometimes it bricks - only a jig can get it back to life.

I think it's possible. I used to upgrade to ICS from 2.3.5 stock rom with AT&T bootloader and this trick was useful that time. So firstly, u should try to do this trick directly on ur stock 2.2. I believe it will work! But if it won't, u need to upgrade to 2.3, then do the same process! :)

Reactions: docent000

docent000

Apr 3, 2011
New Jersey
So firstly, u should try to do this trick directly on ur stock 2.2. I believe it will work! But if it won't, u need to upgrade to 2.3, then do the same process! :)

Thanks. Maybe it's better for me just to try is from 2.3 stock right away and not to bother with 2.2
Anyway, I'll try it if I ever have to go back to stock for any reason.
This kernel splash screen doesn't bother me it it's nice to know how to remove it :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello there
    After experienced many times upgrading rom from stock firmware to ICS custom, I have a trick for myself and want to share it to you all! That is how to boot into an ICS rom without appearance of kernel splash screen ;)

** Note: This trick is useful with AT&T bootloader only, i've tested with i9k bootloader but unsuccessful.

What needed:
    1. Eclair stock firmware: (needed if you're on any custom rom, if you're using stock then don't need to load this one) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=731989
    2. Speedmod kernel (to get CWM): this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=893880 ---> download speedmod-kernel-i897-k13c-500hz.tar in attachments box at the bottom of post #1.
    3. Elite 10.1 for Captivate (must have): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1567102
    4. Your favorite rom, or if Elite is good enough to you, then you don't need to download anymore! Don't forget to put these rom into your Cappy sdcard! :p

Here's the sequence of work:
    Again, if you're on stock rom without CWM, then ignore step 1 and jump to step 2!
    1. Download mode --> Odin --> back to stock Eclair with AT&T boot loader
    2. Download mode --> Odin --> flash Speedmod kernel to get Clockwork Mod Recovery, by putting the file speedmod-kernel-i897-k13c-500hz.tar you've loaded above into PDA box in Odin, then Start and wait till completed
    3. Recovery mode --> Install .zip file of Elite 10.1 ROM, wait till finished and you can boot into Elite successfully. You can ignore this booting process if you don't want to use this ROM, by taking battery pack out!
    4. Recovery mode --> Flash your favourite rom and kernel in your usual way (wipe cache, dalvik or full wipe)
    5. Reboot and you will see, Cappy shows only the AT&T splash screen and never lets any kernel have a chance to show its own logo! :)

I've tested with these ROM: CM9 nightly, SlimICS, ICSSGS with exact steps above and the results are the same: great! I've not tried with AOKP yet, but I think it should work! :D
    If anyone try this with AOKP and everything's ok, plz comment so that I'll update into this post!
    Hope it helps many Cappy's owners!

I think it's possible. I used to upgrade to ICS from 2.3.5 stock rom with AT&T bootloader and this trick was useful that time. So firstly, u should try to do this trick directly on ur stock 2.2. I believe it will work! But if it won't, u need to upgrade to 2.3, then do the same process! :)