[Guide] ICS for All htc holiday

Search This thread

Mad Medik

Jan 28, 2006
The Hammer!
Thanks for the thread!

I have a couple questions about the following steps:

In step 5, you link to a thread on applying the AT&T ICS RUU. In that thread, a user states that you need to have WCX recovery to do this.
Megatronisabeast said:
You need the wcx recovery not cwm. Also make sure you have a compatible kernel to go with the ROM.

In step 8 - Root your phone - you link to the Superguide thread where Slapshot30 advises to install CWM recovery in the rooting process.
Slapshot30 said:
2) Gain Perm Root and Custom CWM Recovery

Overwriting WCX recovery with CWM recovery here would undo step 7 so am I right in assuming that in step 8 we follow the Superguide, but ignore the CWM installation step?

Thanks

Last edited:

ccb101

Nov 11, 2011
Clinton Ct
Yes ignore the cwm recovery if you want a good how to video I show you exactly what to do if you head over to wild child's website you'll see a video I posted in the first post of the att Rom :)

You can also root using wcx recovery there's a option in there for root

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

Reactions: Mad Medik

deadhead85

Nov 21, 2010
Any update on if this works with the Korean SKT HTC Raider? I am currently on Gingerbread with S-ON and want to install the latest Holicakes ROM.

Thanks in advance for any help!:)

kenjs

Jul 30, 2007
Toronto
A couple of question about the procedure

Hi everybody here. Anyway, it's my first post in XDA.

I have HTC Raider from Rogers, Canada. (It seems a shrinking version of REAL htc raider, the CPU is 1.2GHz, not 1.5GHz).

Already S-OFF and get superCID (11111111).

Want to make clear about below steps

3) Run this RUU - http://www.multiupload.nl/6O33AK7SM2 mirror ( http://www.4shared.com/file/MhHL09yi...US_163502.html )

So this step is just follow step 2, does it mean we'are already under fastboot mode ?

5) Enter to the fastboot and install ICS (from vivid or telstra)(Here is from vivid - http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1564776)

Does it mean I should power off my raider and power on to fastboot mode first, then run the RUU program?

As my understanding, to flash ICS, we must update our HBOOT to a new version; Only ATT VIVID's ICS has this new version HBOOT;
In order to flash ATT's HBOOT, we must first flash/RUU from Cingular, even we have S-OFF device.

I notice those RUUs will always update radio and hboot. as far as I know, if radio/hboot flash failed, we'll get a pretty shining brick and never turn back.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Another question about HBOOT.
The updated/new version HBOOT is required to boot ICS's 3.x kernel.
Is it also capable to boot current Gingerbread's 2.x kernal too, in case I'd like back to my current gingerbread system, after trying ICS.

Thanks

raymar23

Oct 7, 2009
Moncton, NB
Hi everybody here. Anyway, it's my first post in XDA.

I have HTC Raider from Rogers, Canada. (It seems a shrinking version of REAL htc raider, the CPU is 1.2GHz, not 1.5GHz).

Already S-OFF and get superCID (11111111).

Want to make clear about below steps

3) Run this RUU - http://www.multiupload.nl/6O33AK7SM2 mirror ( http://www.4shared.com/file/MhHL09yi...US_163502.html )

So this step is just follow step 2, does it mean we'are already under fastboot mode ?

5) Enter to the fastboot and install ICS (from vivid or telstra)(Here is from vivid - http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1564776)

Does it mean I should power off my raider and power on to fastboot mode first, then run the RUU program? YES

As my understanding, to flash ICS, we must update our HBOOT to a new version; Only ATT VIVID's ICS has this new version HBOOT;
In order to flash ATT's HBOOT, we must first flash/RUU from Cingular, even we have S-OFF device.

I notice those RUUs will always update radio and hboot. as far as I know, if radio/hboot flash failed, we'll get a pretty shining brick and never turn back.
Thats about right, failed hboot flash can equal brick
Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Another question about HBOOT.
The updated/new version HBOOT is required to boot ICS's 3.x kernel.
Is it also capable to boot current Gingerbread's 2.x kernal too, in case I'd like back to my current gingerbread system, after trying ICS.

Thanks

After you have completed step 1 to S-OFF and step 2 to change the carrier ID. You will still be in HBOOT of course. You can boot the phone normally and then run the RUU as it will automatically re-boot your phone to the needed HBOOT. After you have installed Cingular GB RUU (step 3) you just need to do a factory wipe from the setting menu of the phone. After that you install the ATT ICS RUU which installs the new bootloader and radio ETC.

After that unlock your bootloader at HTCDev.

After that I used part of the SUPERGUIDE to install the WCX recovery instead of CWM with the instructions:

- Inside the WCXJB ROOT PACK, click shift + right click and select "Open command window here"
- Enter in these commands without the quotes
- "fastboot flash recovery wcxrecovery.img"

From there boot to recovery and there is an option in the recovery to ROOT the phone.

After that I installed DarkRaiders ROM WITHOUT flashing any kernels first as most instructions do, that is because Dark Raider uses the AROMA installer and installs the kernel for you.

I hope this helps and answers your questions as I spent hours with mine and though I had bricked it at one point.

kenjs

Jul 30, 2007
Toronto
Confirm - works on HTC Raider from Rogers, Canada

Thanks guys.

I've tried the procedure, and it works on my HTC Raider from Canada Rogers.
Also notice that after first RUU update (to Cingular's ROM), my bootloader is still unlocked, because I installed some 2.3.x ROM with same bootloader which is unlocked. So I manually 'fastboot oem lock' to relock the bootloader and try the rest steps.

Now my device is runing the Dark Raider v1.54, and with cool sweep sleep/wakeup feature. So far so good.

Thanks again for this simple and workable procedure. (Although a little scary when update HBOOT and Radio).

JohnL_83

Jun 9, 2012
its worked! but somethings wrong... :/

hi gang,
so i finally got a glimpse of what ics actually really looks like on htc; i've finally able to install it using this procedure with just one problem...
i cant browse the net using my data plan even tho my mobile network is turned on :/
weird enough, i can make and receive calls. can you guys help me; im not sure if i missed something. i also got my htc raider from rogers, canada.
thanks much in advance!

mohamed_moscow

Sep 1, 2008
it deepened on which rom are you using, you have to manually add apns of your network.
it doesn`t have anything with the S-OFF and update to ICS.

Reactions: JohnL_83

JohnL_83

Jun 9, 2012
it deepened on which rom are you using, you have to manually add apns of your network.
it doesn`t have anything with the S-OFF and update to ICS.

i guess that make sense now; after i installed the ics and checked the network settings on apns, theres nothing there. i was able to notice the diff coz prior to doing this whole procedure, i did a nandroid backup to my ext sd card. so i was able to do a restore to my old rom. there i noticed the rogers network listed to apns.
i'd love to give this a shot one more time, but... yesterday i made a mess :/
i thought maybe relocking my bootloader and start your whole process again would fix the whole network thing but still didnt. so when i was about to install the cwm to recover again to my backed up rom, i wasnt able to UNLOCK anymore... :(
good thing i have the official rogers ruu downloaded to fix everthing, but not only i lose root access to my phone, my bootloader is stock on relocked :(
its still s off tho, but i cant UNLOCK it anymore using the unlock.bin command from htcdev.
would you be able to help me out... i'd gladly appreciate your help.

Top Liked Posts