adialcode
amarok remote
ambient
import_vcard.apk
jchat1.1 (doesnt work)
stocker
vOICE android (not sure what it does)
allbinary suite
itunes controller (i think this requires wifi)
multireader
httpdownloader (does this work for anyone?)
andro

startup.txt
loads android when haret his clicked

http://rapidshare.com/files/153459330/android_mods.zip.html

Thanks playing with it now, let you know how it goes. Cheers

unsungboxer

May 28, 2008
Martin,

if that guy got you the G1 Rom I am sure you have seen this:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=432661

hopefully this virtual keyboard is an APK we can borrow:
03sn5.png

*edit, after further reading, this appears to be a "preview" so I have no idea if the image is real or official. Its a nice pic so i'll leave it up.

Last edited:

~David

Nov 27, 2007
Toronto
my key layout:
volume up/down work
power = back
d_pad center = menu

added new apps:
adialcode
amarok remote
ambient
import_vcard.apk
jchat1.1 (doesnt work)
stocker
vOICE android (not sure what it does)
allbinary suite
itunes controller (i think this requires wifi)
multireader
httpdownloader (does this work for anyone?)
andro

startup.txt
loads android when haret his clicked

http://rapidshare.com/files/153459330/android_mods.zip.html

Doesn't work, I keep getting "Error reading file. Expected 4096 got 0" when I launch haret.

Edit: My bad, it didn't extract properly. Booting now :)

Last edited:

unsungboxer

May 28, 2008
So, here is my first application for Google Android.
It will import contacts to Android’s address book from a file in VCard (.vcf) format.
Imported fields:
- Name
- All phones
- All emails
- Notes
Limitations:
If contact already exists, it will be deleted and a new contact is created. So don’t use this software for regular synchronization.
Download at http://magister.ipsys.net/lang/uk/2008/10/10/android-vcard-import

Hey Magister,

I included your vcard importer in my for mentioned data.img file. It does not seem to work for me on my xv6900. It is behaving as an app that is not compiled for 1.0, as it does not appear in the application menu, however I am positive its in data/apps

I included it in this file so others who are unable to mount their data.img file can try. Any ideas whats going on?

btw, I appreciate that you took the initiative to build something like this.

-unsung

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
Martin,

if that guy got you the G1 Rom I am sure you have seen this:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=432661

hopefully this virtual keyboard is an APK we can borrow:
03sn5.png

*edit, after further reading, this appears to be a "preview" so I have no idea if the image is real or official. Its a nice pic so i'll leave it up.

I WANT THIS!! lol.

we REALLY need a sip...can ANYONE right one?

i am starting out in c++ as of a few weeks ago...? and know some visual basic and have played with linux for quite a few hours...? idk. i highly doubt i would be anywhere near able to do this.

anybody?

Grondinm

Feb 18, 2008
Moncton
so i have a question...not really related to android but generally related to running linux on the vogue. I would like to have a full linux distro that boots automaticly...meaning no more winmo.(i think this has been asked and discuss befor) i found a few distros but they all talk about a special bootloader(wich is not surprising) but i'm thinking that flashing one of these on the vogue would brick it. one example would be http://handhelds.org/familiar/ but they seem to be focused on HP products(anychance this would work on the vogue) but i guesse the real question here is. Is theire a full linux distro out theire that will run on vogue(this is when i wish i had stuck with linux in my eraly computer days cause now i just don't know enough about it to try and make one myself from the kernels and binaries i found i will probably at some point try to build one...maybe more once i get a new phone so as not to brick my onle phone) sorry if this as already been talked about just had to ask and i really like linux more tha windows for stability sake...i just wish i knew more about it.

pchasco

Mar 15, 2008
I'm not sure why you would want to do this... Other than a longer boot time due to having to start windows first, I see no reason to remove WM from my phone. Android on the Vogue, though making great strides, is in no way ready to replace WM. Even when it's ready, I'm not sure I ever will remove WM. There are too many risks with no gain. Android runs exactly the same having been launched from Haret as it would from Windows. Only from Android you cannot use ActiveSync to flash your radio if necessary.

And I don't think there's any validity to the stability argument. Windows Mobile is solid. I'd like to see some figures that demonstrate any mobile Linux distribution is more reliable than Windows Mobile.

I'll be using Android on my vogue, but I'll be launching it from Haret.

Grondinm

Feb 18, 2008
Moncton
ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....

Reactions: akatdim and husky69

pchasco

Mar 15, 2008
My contract will be up and I'll be ready to buy an Android phone before Android is ever stable enough on the Vogue to completely replace windows. I would recommend against replacing WM on your Vogue.

And off-topic: I would like to see figures proving Linux is more stable than Windows XP on even a desktop. I've used both extensively, and have had more application crashes in Linux after a week than in XP in a year. Linux itself may be solid, but many applications distributed with Linux are not.

Grondinm

Feb 18, 2008
Moncton
My contract will be up and I'll be ready to buy an Android phone before Android is ever stable enough on the Vogue to completely replace windows. I would recommend against replacing WM on your Vogue.

And off-topic: I would like to see figures proving Linux is more stable than Windows XP on even a desktop. I've used both extensively, and have had more application crashes in Linux after a week than in XP in a year. Linux itself may be solid, but many applications distributed with Linux are not.

well i'm only talking about core functions here....of course the OS experience will only be as stable as the apps developed for it but linux at the core is more stable than windows will ever be...and i on the other hand(altho my experience with linux might be more limited than your i don't know) have had xp and vista crash at least once a week doing different things as for linux it never "crashed"(unless i messed up) in a 6 months spand.

On topic:Thanx for the recomendation that's kinda the way i was leaning was just wondering how possibble it might be.

Magister2k7

Sep 3, 2008
Chernihiv
magister.ipsys.net
Hey Magister,

I included your vcard importer in my for mentioned data.img file. It does not seem to work for me on my xv6900. It is behaving as an app that is not compiled for 1.0, as it does not appear in the application menu, however I am positive its in data/apps

I included it in this file so others who are unable to mount their data.img file can try. Any ideas whats going on?

btw, I appreciate that you took the initiative to build something like this.

-unsung

Hm... it is 100% compiled for 1.0, as I downloaded SDK a few days ago. And on emulator it works fine (however, it was installed there automatically by Eclipse plugin for Android, which is bundled with an SDK. Maybe you should try to run your image in emulator and execute:
adb install "Import VCard.apk"
Maybe that works?
//remark: adb is a tool from Android SDK

Grondinm

Feb 18, 2008
Moncton
So I finally got to try the new version based on sdk 1.0 and so far so good.(writing this from andriod browser) The only issues so far is that the screen bounces around(up and down) a lot as I type. And the other thing I will ask a question. How long should the media scanner take? I launch it and it says media scanner started scanning \sdcard but I left it for like 5 min then tried music player and it says no sd card. How long should it take consider I have a 8gb card about half full? Apart from that great work dzo it boors faster than any other version. Can't wait to see what you do next.

EDIT:did a little more testing and it enabled the process viewer dev option. when i open the media scanner i see android.process.media for a few seconds then it turns red gets a red line across it and disappears...does this mean it stops...why would it stop...2 much data...2 big of a card?? it's about the only thing stopping me from using this on a full time basis. that and the lack of bluetooth....but i could do without that if i could get my music...i should also add that the raw image viewer does find images to display...(makes me assume it can read the card then)

Last edited:

mjchoi824

Oct 14, 2008
whew good. I tested everything and it was working well for me :)

i don't know if i'm doing something wrong, but i just copied the files from the zip over the files from the original files i had on my card. i ran haret and when android booted up everything was the same. are those new apps supposed to show up in the apps list?

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
i don't know if i'm doing something wrong, but i just copied the files from the zip over the files from the original files i had on my card. i ran haret and when android booted up everything was the same. are those new apps supposed to show up in the apps list?

ya there should be new apps in the list. just try deleting everything and starting over again from a fresh download.

thanks a lot jake! its pretty cool, i like that ambient music player for the most part.

the things stopping ME from using android are lack of keyboard and calendar :(

@dzo/raymondf13:

has anything been going on with that tmobile employee? (please tell me youre pming back and forth and have things moving right along! :))

Last edited:

LeftysRule22

Jan 24, 2008
(If this has been brought up already please ignore me)

To whomever is developing or decides to develop the keyboard, it would be really awesome to see T9 functionality. I personally dont think a full screen portrait keyboard that is usable for someone who texts 3k+ messages a month is possible on our screen. Maybe i have fat fingers...but the touch keypad on WM works very nicely.

Anyway, great work dzo and everyone else contributing i cant wait to see where this goes and dump WM!

-Lefty

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland

To whomever is developing or decides to develop the keyboard, it would be really awesome to see T9 functionality. I personally dont think a full screen portrait keyboard that is usable for someone who texts 3k+ messages a month is possible on our screen. Maybe i have fat fingers...but the touch keypad on WM works very nicely.

Anyway, great work dzo and everyone else contributing i cant wait to see where this goes and dump WM!

-Lefty

The current kbd is kernel device driver so T9 is not really possible or sensible, what will eventually happen is that a user space kbd will be used. I've already seen a few kbd implementations so it is possible, we will just have to wait till somebody does it well.

jim256

Nov 26, 2007

-Lefty

i definitely would second prediction capability. but i gotta argue on a fulscreen portrait keyboard not being usable (coming from a 3k+ texter)

try this one out:
ftp://ppcgeeks.com/Vogue/Users/jim256 - jim2561/Best WM Soft KB Setup.zip

that'll solve all your worries till android is great and arrives full.

what I propose is...a keyboard for android just like this one i have posted but of course with a couple enhancements :) I have already contacted a dev concerning this.

the only bad thing about this is that:
a. vogue screen is not very sensitive at all.
b. vogue screen too small.
c. vogue (on wm) is slow.

im hoping to have an HD within about 5 weeks for real cheap (chk my sig!) and i CANNOT WAIT to try out my kb setup on that....will never want for a hd kb again :)...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..