[TUT][ICS] bypass Credential Storage phone lock / install certificates

Search This thread

.eXa

Jun 21, 2012
Aachen
Hello folks,

idk if anyone of you guys had a hard time with the same annoying 'feature' on ics roms which forces you to set a PIN/password/pattern lock when you try to install enterprise certificates into your credential storage.

As for myself I need some of these certs to log into the WLAN at my university (which is 802.1x protected). But I don't feel the need of locking my phone.

So I exploited this to go around setting a password for the secure lock screen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prerequisites are a rooted phone, a root file browser or adb tools and apparently your certificates.

I tested this on AOKP build 38 and 39 on a rooted HTC Sensation XE and will check this on two other devices the upcoming week.

UPDATE: seems to work even easier, I made the changes inline since the previous workaround did not work in every case.

Step 1:
Download the certificates to your SD card and/or install directly via browser/email etc. Do as you are asked and set up a PIN/password/pattern lock. Remember it ;)

Step 2:
now with your root file browser go to /data/misc/ and recursively copy the folders keychain and keystore to a save place.
These are the folders containing the certificate files.
(See [System settings > security > Trusted credentials] for installed certificates)

With adb tools you can for example do this:

Code:
adb shell
su
cp -R /data/misc/keychain /sdcard/certificates/
cp -R /data/misc/keystore /sdcard/certificates/
Step 3:
Go to [System settings > security] and click [Clear credentials] at the bottom of the menu. Now your previously installed certs are wiped and you are free to set the lock method to [none], [slide] or [face lock] again.

Step 4:
Finally fire up your root file browser again, set /system as read/write and copy the in Step 2 backed up directories back to /data/misc/. They are now installed as the before but since CertInstaller.apk does not get involved, noone forces you to lock your phone.

in adb shell:
Code:
cp -R /sdcard/certificates/* /data/misc/
Now you should be able to find your newly added certificates in the System list under [System Settings > Security > Trusted credentials] in the [User] tab and thus be able to log into your desired WLAN.

I hope this helps some people out there. When I get deeper into developing maybe I will find a 'cleaner' method for this.

have a good night,

.eXa

Last edited:

grievous2004

Oct 23, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
Thank you for sharing! I have been really looking for this kind of hack.
Sadly I can't use it as my certificate has a different structure: it seems to install 3 files in /data/misc/keystore/
The files are 1000_USRCERT_Polimi ; 1000_USRCERT_Polimi and .masterkey
I tried copying these files to the new directory and even changing the file extension but it did not work.
I don't know if this issue is rom or certificate related.. anyway I am using a stock rom on samsung galaxy s3.. perhaps samsung manages differently certificates..
Have you any clue on this? Thank you!

.eXa

Jun 21, 2012
Aachen
hey, thanks for the reply.

alright, I figured something new, maybe try the updated version of the tutorial and pls tell me if that works for you.

greetings

Last edited:

grievous2004

Oct 23, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
hey, thanks for the reply.

alright, I figured something new, maybe try the updated version of the tutorial and pls tell me if that works for you.

greetings

You were fast! :D and I think you made it: I can now select the certificate in the wifi options dialog (so it's correctly installed).. but I can't test the access to the network until monday.. Anyway I am convinced that it made the trick and it was really simple, I must say.
Thank you so much , this will be useful to many people!

Grgur

Aug 20, 2008
Gdansk
Your trick helped me only partially. It allowed me to install the certificates just fine. But as soon as I try to connect to any 802.1x protected Wi-Fi network, the phone bugs me again with setting the screen lock. So I need a workaround for accessing the key storage.

grievous2004

Oct 23, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
I tried it and sadly it does not work: it asks me a password to activate the credential storage.. only problem is that I never set a password for it so I can't insert it and use the certificate. Too bad but I think it depends on the certificate.. anyway thank you very much for the help provided!

.eXa

Jun 21, 2012
Aachen
so, back from vacation.

@grgur: in your setup it is the 802.1x wlan that forces you by corporate policy to lock your phone. i am still trying to figure this out, i will try and search the system where stored wlan access points are stored. update will come as i find a solution to this.

@grievous: which version of android are you on? try clearing your credential storage first, then set up the password and then add the certificates. after that proceed with my tutorial.

since i am in the middle of learning for my exams i have really no time to go on with my android studies... it seems like in the long haul someone has to "fix" the app that handles phone lock and device policies. i know who the bad boy is but i am lacking time right now, so hopefully i get this done by the end of august.

i'll keep you up to date with my progress.

greetings

Reactions: aZooZa

pippodream

Mar 16, 2011
As soon as i go back to university (politecnico di milano) i will use your suggestion! Has anyone already tried with polimi wifi network?

grievous2004

Oct 23, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
@grievous: which version of android are you on? try clearing your credential storage first, then set up the password and then add the certificates. after that proceed with my tutorial.
As soon as i go back to university (politecnico di milano) i will use your suggestion! Has anyone already tried with polimi wifi network?
I was using a samsung stock rom 4.0.4 and the tutorial worked but when trying to connect again it asked me for a credential pwd (that I never set). Now I'm on CM10 so there should be no problem. As soon as I get to Polimi I'll try ;)

zsszabolcs

Sep 11, 2012
doesn't work for me (SGS2 AOKP JB)

Hi!

I've tried to apply this solution to my device (SGS2 AOKP JB), but after clearing the credentials and copying back the keystores/keychains the user credentials cannot be found (Trusted credentials > User is empty).

Could anyone please help me with this one?

Thank you in advance.

TrojanPL

Jun 11, 2012
Hi!

I've tried to apply this solution to my device (SGS2 AOKP JB), but after clearing the credentials and copying back the keystores/keychains the user credentials cannot be found (Trusted credentials > User is empty).

Could anyone please help me with this one?

Thank you in advance.

I have the same problem. And unfortunately I didn't find solution for that.

Wysłane z Android 4.1.2 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

u-foka

Sep 21, 2008
Sadly exchange with client certificate refuses to work after trying this hack :( It says that it can't found the cert it needs..

bubr3g

Apr 21, 2012
I have found the permanent solution !!!

I hope this will solve everyone's problem here.
These are the steps I have done after installing Eduroam certificates from my university:
1. Obviously I have installed CA
2. I had to choose which lock screen style will I use (I only could have choose between pattern, PIN, and password), it doesn't matter which lock screen style you choose between those three.(FYI I have chosen pattern)
3. After that I have failed to swipe my lock pattern correctly 15 times
4. The "Unlock with your Google account / unlock with your PIN/password" screen appeared.
5. Choose the "Unlock with your Google account" and type in your username and password
6. After that the "Choose your lock style" screen appears. DO NOT CHOOSE ANY OF THEM, since swipe still can't be chosen
7. Just press back to exit this menu.
8. Lock your screen and unlock it ---> You have swipe unlock enabled along with the CA certificates !!!

Last edited:

TrojanPL

Jun 11, 2012

These are the steps I have done after installing Eduroam certificates from my university:
2. I had to choose which lock screen style will I use (I only could have choose between pattern, PIN, and password), it doesn't matter which lock screen style you choose between those three.(FYI I have chosen pattern)
4. The "Unlock with your Google account / unlock with your PIN/password" screen appeared.
5. Choose the "Unlock with your Google account" and type in your username and password
6. After that the "Choose your lock style" screen appears. DO NOT CHOOSE ANY OF THEM, since swipe still can't be chosen
8. Lock your screen and unlock it ---> You have swipe unlock enabled along with the CA certificates !!!

It won't work for me. After 10 failures it says that I have to wait 30 seconds for another try. I have Samsung Galaxy SII with Omega v21 (based on Samsung-stock Android 4.2.1).

astarothcy

Oct 27, 2012
Hi, this seems almost too easy, and it's more of a workaround than a solution, but it works:

1. Try to login to your network
  2. Accept the request to set up the mandatory screen lock and set one up (any kind)
  3. Connect to your network
  4. Go into Android settings/Security and change the screen lock type to None
  5. Your network credentials are now saved and there is no longer a screen lock.

System of a pWne!^

Aug 3, 2010
www.daggeringcats.com
Hi, this seems almost too easy, and it's more of a workaround than a solution, but it works:

1. Try to login to your network
  2. Accept the request to set up the mandatory screen lock and set one up (any kind)
  3. Connect to your network
  4. Go into Android settings/Security and change the screen lock type to None
  5. Your network credentials are now saved and there is no longer a screen lock.

The last time I tried this with my CyanogenMod install, removing a pattern/password/pin was not possible because of the certificates. Only after removing the certificates, the screen-lock-type could be changed to a non-pattern/pin/password type.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello folks,

idk if anyone of you guys had a hard time with the same annoying 'feature' on ics roms which forces you to set a PIN/password/pattern lock when you try to install enterprise certificates into your credential storage.

As for myself I need some of these certs to log into the WLAN at my university (which is 802.1x protected). But I don't feel the need of locking my phone.

So I exploited this to go around setting a password for the secure lock screen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prerequisites are a rooted phone, a root file browser or adb tools and apparently your certificates.

I tested this on AOKP build 38 and 39 on a rooted HTC Sensation XE and will check this on two other devices the upcoming week.

UPDATE: seems to work even easier, I made the changes inline since the previous workaround did not work in every case.

Step 1:
    Download the certificates to your SD card and/or install directly via browser/email etc. Do as you are asked and set up a PIN/password/pattern lock. Remember it ;)

Step 2:
    now with your root file browser go to /data/misc/ and recursively copy the folders keychain and keystore to a save place.
    These are the folders containing the certificate files.
    (See [System settings > security > Trusted credentials] for installed certificates)

With adb tools you can for example do this:

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cp -R /data/misc/keychain /sdcard/certificates/
    cp -R /data/misc/keystore /sdcard/certificates/
    Step 3:
    Go to [System settings > security] and click [Clear credentials] at the bottom of the menu. Now your previously installed certs are wiped and you are free to set the lock method to [none], [slide] or [face lock] again.

Step 4:
    Finally fire up your root file browser again, set /system as read/write and copy the in Step 2 backed up directories back to /data/misc/. They are now installed as the before but since CertInstaller.apk does not get involved, noone forces you to lock your phone.

in adb shell:
    Code:
    cp -R /sdcard/certificates/* /data/misc/
    Now you should be able to find your newly added certificates in the System list under [System Settings > Security > Trusted credentials] in the [User] tab and thus be able to log into your desired WLAN.

I hope this helps some people out there. When I get deeper into developing maybe I will find a 'cleaner' method for this.

have a good night,

.eXa

so, back from vacation.

@grgur: in your setup it is the 802.1x wlan that forces you by corporate policy to lock your phone. i am still trying to figure this out, i will try and search the system where stored wlan access points are stored. update will come as i find a solution to this.

since i am in the middle of learning for my exams i have really no time to go on with my android studies... it seems like in the long haul someone has to "fix" the app that handles phone lock and device policies. i know who the bad boy is but i am lacking time right now, so hopefully i get this done by the end of august.

i'll keep you up to date with my progress.

greetings

you crazy man it really works!!!
    It won't work for me. After 10 failures it says that I have to wait 30 seconds for another try. I have Samsung Galaxy SII with Omega v21 (based on Samsung-stock Android 4.2.1).

Well of course, when you fail you sholud have a button in bottom right corner, something like this on the picture
    1v0BNEscBOB7KE7Jhcvf6LiBGKz1.png

Btw, after you reboot your device it could stop working so you should do the whole thing from step 1