FORUMS

What's this mysterious third port?

29 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By zaneburton, Junior Member on 27th June 2012, 09:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

What port is that?

Why does this Nexus 7 not have that port?
27th June 2012, 10:29 PM |#2  
Flag Roseville
Thanks Meter: 27

More
I have a funny feeling its a HDMI port, but only for certain Nexus 7 devices. The Xperia Play Developer version had the same thing, but the normal one they sell doesn't have one. So it may be a "developers" Nexus 7 with a HDMI port.

Just my thoughts...
28th June 2012, 10:38 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 121

Donate to Me
More
Yeah, looks like a micro-HDMI port.

Probably found on the developer and/or internal versions for mirroring to external display during presentations (like on yesterdays keynote).
28th June 2012, 03:50 PM |#4  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 198

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einride

Yeah, looks like a micro-HDMI port.

Probably found on the developer and/or internal versions for mirroring to external display during presentations (like on yesterdays keynote).

I think you mean Mini, right?
28th July 2012, 01:11 PM |#5  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Nexus 7 with no HDMI is a big deal-breaker for me.
28th July 2012, 03:31 PM |#6  
Flag Vancouver Island
Thanks Meter: 27

More
I agree it looks like a Mini-HDMI port.
24th September 2012, 03:32 AM |#7  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Well, from the schematics that were posted today, I have a feeling that is a JTAG port, since it's located right beside J1 (a 24pin connector on the main board) that has serial and JTAG IO pins. It would be good for the engineers not to have to keep opening the unit to flash it vis JTAG, which is a LOT faster than flashing over USB.
24th September 2012, 04:58 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
What schematics are you referring to?

Edit: Never mind, I found the thread.
24th September 2012, 06:05 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 5,186

Donate to Me
More
The nexus 7s from the unveiling event had micro hdmis for presenting them on the big screens. That's where these pictures are from.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
24th September 2012, 09:43 AM |#10  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag -∇ϕ
Thanks Meter: 2,225

More
It's probably a HDMI connector. But HDMI is usually already supported (on other platforms) by running an MHL output over the micro-USB. This would explain why they didn't bother adding that port to production line. (It's always better to have to buy external adapters, right!?)

However, for the Samsung Galaxy S3, there have been some confusion, which seem similar to what you got there...

PS. JTAG is very unlikely. They'd never redesign the entire case just to add a JTAG port.
24th September 2012, 09:48 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 307

More
Wow, nice work digging up an old thread. (look at that date gap...). The presentation N7s had HDMI ports.

Go check out some of the other threads from this date (the day it was announced) and you'll see this question was asked, debated, fought over, and confirmed several times here on XDA.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)