[Root] How to Root T-Mobile Galaxy S3 SGH-T999!

Search This thread

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
Here's a video tutorial for how to root T-Mobile Galaxy S3 SGH-T999, specifically for T-Mobile.

For T-Mobile, you will have to get into CWM recovery by holding down Volume Up + Center + Power button, then let go of Power button upon reset, a small difference between other U.S. Galaxy S3s but I see most people are having trouble with just getting into recovery after flashing with ODIN so here's a noob-proof video:

Download:
http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/GalaxyS3Sprint/rooting/GalaxyS3RootSprint.zip

Credits to NoobNL who posted this root method first on XDA.

Last edited:

Lieu10ant

Nov 10, 2008
did you all have to download samsung kies to do this as well? cause it's not showing up, and i don't really wanna have to download kies if there's a way around it.

Reactions: zaydaboss

Kalm_Traveler

Dec 8, 2011
I didn't download Kies...did this on my work computer which definitely has never had any Samsung phone software on it.

It's running Windows 7 64-bit Professional if that helps.

my home desktop (Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate) didn't need it either - just tested now. All I installed on both machines were the normal USB drivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: zaydaboss

hdjoe

Oct 18, 2010
el paso
i get up to where I click on PDA, select the clockwork.tar file, hit start, and it does nothing... Any ideas?

---
nevermind, got it.... thanks!

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 AM ----------

this was the easiest root I've ever done!! Been doing it since the HTC HD2 and this was almost a point and click deal! Awesome work!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's a video tutorial for how to root T-Mobile Galaxy S3 SGH-T999, specifically for T-Mobile.

For T-Mobile, you will have to get into CWM recovery by holding down Volume Up + Center + Power button, then let go of Power button upon reset, a small difference between other U.S. Galaxy S3s but I see most people are having trouble with just getting into recovery after flashing with ODIN so here's a noob-proof video:

Download:
    http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/GalaxyS3Sprint/rooting/GalaxyS3RootSprint.zip

Credits to NoobNL who posted this root method first on XDA.
    Linux/Mac tutorial coming...

Linux/Mac tutorial coming...
    Yes |

Finally Seeing Zedomax High on Android | awesome is. Love you man no homo! U d best at Android Reviews.

By the way wrong section buddy!
    For anyone having trouble getting root after recent update:
    Q: I don’t get ClockworkMod Recovery like you do, just get Android with belly open.
    A: If you’ve updated to newer software update, the stock OS will over-write ClockworkMod Recovery on reboot. To fix this, make sure “auto-reboot” is checked off in ODIN, then take the battery out when it’s done flashing in ODIN. Then enter ClockworkMod Recovery right away.

This worked for me. I didn't take the battery out though. I just held power til the phone turned off > then hold up, menu, and power to go right into recovery.
    Launching Recovery

FYI -I am using the TMOBILE Samsung SIII - initially, I struggeled getting into Recovery - after a bunch of trial and error I found the only method that works for me is: Hold Volume Up/Power/Home simultaneiously - release all three as soon asthe words "Samsung" (in block letters) flashes once - a second of two later you will see Samsung in a fancier type face - screen goes dark once more and then you are in CWM.
    WHen I tried launching recovery any other way I coudn't get there - the phone would either turn off completely or it would boot simply launch the normal start up.

I didn't know if others had the same issue as I did when they first tried launching recovery so I thought I would share -