Post Reply Email Thread
28th April 2012, 04:15 AM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thanks, would be useful somedays later

10th May 2012, 05:27 AM |#52  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Thanks.. I used to have speaker problem suddenly it stopped, will bookmark this anyway

Enviado desde mi SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 usando Tapatalk 2
13th May 2012, 05:22 PM |#53  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I was lucky enough to identify this problem a week before my year warranty was up. There is a local repair place here, so I got them to replace it, but this will be great to know in case it happens again, Thanks!
8th June 2012, 06:52 AM |#54  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
hmmm
I've only ever had this issue when running a cyanogenmod rom. Was on stock froyo then gb for a year, then cognition, serendipity 7 each for a couple months, never had this problem till cm7. Flashed back to serendipity and the problem disappeared. Been over a month back on s7, decided to flash cm9 today and poof, audio problem is back. Such a strange coincidence. I love Cyanogenmod, hope the screw trick is my fix.
9th June 2012, 05:11 AM |#55  
Flag Northern Wisconsin
Thanks Meter: 80

More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=761359

There's the fix that worked for me.
(Actually bending the connector up a little bit, there's a nice picture there).
28th June 2012, 06:44 PM |#56  
Flag Whitby
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Sign The Foundling and our JOURNEY
It was a dewy July morning in 2011 when I found this Captivate SGH-I896 laying in the grass. Poor thing...I had to find its owner. I went to the Rogers store, reluctantly putting the foundling in their hands. They asked me to wait and they searched. "'Nothing we can do. It's all yours."
And so our JOURNEY began. (What is this lovely thing and how does it work?)
Google...YouTube...more Google...and xda? I kept ending up at this xda site.
I've been lurking here for nearly a year, so here I am - a new member...and a NOOB. Nope, I don't hate myself, in fact I'm quite proud of myself for learning so much about this android, how it works and best of all - fixing it.
We've been through a lot together, from Froyo to Gingerbread, from bootloops and shutting down to just fine. Yesterday? I took my precious apart and fixed the speaker. It's not always a bad thing, to have a screw lose!
A huge thank-you to all of you here at xda and guiding me on this incredible journey. (Who knows how far it will take me?)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldgreyhouse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift oldgreyhouse Ad-Free
28th June 2012, 09:16 PM |#57  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
LOL. Good one.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app
3rd July 2012, 05:45 PM |#58  
Flag Cary, NC
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Thumbs up
So I had this mysterious speaker problem in the last month or two. I took my Cappy apart .... and the screw was missing that was supposed to be next to the speaker!! I know there was at least one other person who had this same issue. So I used one of the screws that was to go underneath the battery cover to secure it. I figured that one wouldn't matter too much, as I keep my phone in an Otterbox Commuter 100% of the time (unless I am flashing, etc.). I also adjusted the ribbon cable while I was in there.

Result = speaker works a lot better and seems to be a bit louder now if that is possible.
4th July 2012, 10:33 AM |#59  
Flag Missouri
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Registered just to post this reply...THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!

Just got myself an ATT Captivate for free, untouched/OEM condition, solely because the rear speaker wouldn't work at all. I tried the first fix(screw adjust) which didn't make a difference, so I then tired the second fix(ribbon cable adjustment) which made it work intermittently. I pulled the ribbon cable from the slot on the PCB to find the two leads closest to the edge of the phone had some sort of corrosion/oxidation on them. Cleaned that up, reinserted the ribbon cable in to the slot, speaker has been working fine ever since.

Pulling the case apart is a huge PITA, by the way. I had trouble getting the sides unclipped, then had trouble getting the top unclipped which resulted in a few cracks around the USB port but nothing too bad or detrimental.
4th July 2012, 08:04 PM |#60  
Flag General Trias
Thanks Meter: 339

More
Fixed mine, still monitoring though
7th July 2012, 06:10 PM |#61  
Account currently disabled
Flag Columbus Ohio
Thanks Meter: 6

Donate to Me
More
Angry think u