FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Running Homebrew Native Executables - Status: DONE!!

1,605 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,473

By Heathcliff74, Inactive Recognized Developer on 6th June 2011, 08:16 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th June 2012, 09:30 AM |#121  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,921

More
Creating a live tile should be totally possible; we already know the API for that. Doing it in a way that won't wreck the battery life will take careful work, but is surely possible.

What I'm excited about here is a persistent background service that isn't subject to the app model restrictions. This can be used for things like automatically muting the phone in meetings (with exact timing, not the loose timing that the current background APIs give). It can also be used for things like making openVPN (a current project of mine) work on stock ROMs, which would otherwise be very difficult (technically possible if I can get the driver to load on a stock ROM, but a mess of hacks even then).

29th June 2012, 03:48 PM |#122  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathcliff74

Today I will change the topic title from "Status: Not possible >YET<" to "Status: Possible!".

On Custom ROMs with Full Unlock it was already possible to run homebrew executables. For stock ROMs with Interop Unlock there is WP7 Root Tools which allows Policy Unlock for Silverlight applications. But running homebrew executables like Opera Mini was still not possible.

But now I've found a way to unlock homebrew executables using policies and certificates. I need to do more research before I can implement this unlock in WP7 Root Tools, because the unlock currently still needs some manual actions. But I know it's possible now, because I have it working.

I will keep you updated on the progress for implementing this in WP7 Root Tools.

I have to thank Cotulla for helping me find a stupid mistake I made! His incredible knowledge helped me see why I thought it was not working yet

Ciao,
Heathcliff74

Hi, thanks for your wonderfull job!!
Have any news about it? I would like to use opera with my unlocked optimus7.
29th June 2012, 05:04 PM |#123  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,473

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by luka69

Hi, thanks for your wonderfull job!!
Have any news about it? I would like to use opera with my unlocked optimus7.

There's no way to predict an ETA. Depends on how much time I can spend on it. Currently working on a managed abstraction layer for the policy engine, so I can integrate my new unlocks in WP7Root Tools. Making a little progress everyday. Just bear with me.

Ciao,
Heathcliff74
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heathcliff74 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Heathcliff74 Ad-Free
29th June 2012, 11:30 PM |#124  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Dub V
Thanks Meter: 1,122

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathcliff74

There's no way to predict an ETA. Depends on how much time I can spend on it. Currently working on a managed abstraction layer for the policy engine, so I can integrate my new unlocks in WP7Root Tools. Making a little progress everyday. Just bear with me.

Ciao,

Heathcliff74

thanks for taking the time to work on this =)

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
4th July 2012, 01:56 PM |#125  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Could this when finished help us?
http://www.xda-developers.com/window...unlocked-roms/
4th July 2012, 09:56 PM |#126  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Hello,

Is this project finished and integrated in WP7 root tool ?

Thanks
4th July 2012, 10:35 PM |#127  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Dub V
Thanks Meter: 1,122

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixeus

Hello,

Is this project finished and integrated in WP7 root tool ?

Thanks

Not yet. He will let us know when. It will be a new version of root tools. Please bear with him as this takes some time for him to implement it in a clean manner

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
5th July 2012, 08:32 AM |#128  

More
If I understand, with this project, we could execute homebrew without using the Interop Hack, is'nt it ?
5th July 2012, 10:24 AM |#129  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,921

More
@Nixeus: Not really. This will require making changes to the OS configuration that can only be made with high privilege access. Aside from custom ROMs with full-unlock (which can already run homebrew EXEs), the only ways to get this access on the phone currently all require interop-unlock. For example, WP7 Root Tools requires ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES so your phoen must be interop-unlocked to install it.
5th July 2012, 10:29 AM |#130  

More
I would like to re-create or port a little C/C++ application whick i have wrote for Wm6.5.

My Application used the RAS function in order to manage the DATA connection.

Can i do it ?
If yes, with com-interop ? or, is there today a easiest way ?

Is there a guide ?

Thanks a lot ,

Nixeus
5th July 2012, 11:02 AM |#131  
St.Petersburg
Thanks Meter: 2,051

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixeus

I would like to re-create or port a little C/C++ application whick i have wrote for Wm6.5.

My Application used the RAS function in order to manage the DATA connection.

Can i do it ?
If yes, with com-interop ? or, is there today a easiest way ?

Is there a guide ?

Thanks a lot ,

Nixeus

The best (in general) way today is to write a silverlight app with native COM libraries inside. Follow this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1299134
The Following User Says Thank You to ultrashot For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ultrashot Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
executable, homebrew, mango, native, wp7

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)