FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[KERNEL]{S} Advanced Stock ICS Kernel Build 17 [08/12/12]

212 posts
Thanks Meter: 790
 
By Arakmar, Senior Member on 24th June 2012, 11:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th June 2012, 11:47 AM |#241  
sminki's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag hard shoulders of reality
Thanks Meter: 262
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowOokami

question XD
we are all waiting for sony to release the kernel source... but this is the extracted kernel no? and you guys are modding it... or do I not understand it?

Unlike other devices the "S" boot image consists of three parts, the kernel itself, ramdisk and resource power manager . The boot image can be split into these three parts, but only the ramdisk can be successfully modifed. The ramdisk contains the initial information/instructions to boot the phone, and (of course) the recovery system.

So calling the boot image a kernel is a little confusing, it has the kernel in it, and more besides..

For actual kernel changes (overclock, undervolt, extra modules, etc) the source code is required. (Don't ask me about the RPM, I know nothing about it )

I hope this helps..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sminki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sminki Ad-Free
30th June 2012, 01:53 PM |#242  
Ben36's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,890
 
More
So how can I flash the latest kernel in recovery? If so, how?

Sent from my Xperia S on which The Kernel has been installed but he bought no chicken.....
30th June 2012, 02:07 PM |#243  
sminki's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag hard shoulders of reality
Thanks Meter: 262
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben36

So how can I flash the latest kernel in recovery? If so, how?

Sent from my Xperia S on which The Kernel has been installed but he bought no chicken.....

As SONY devices don't have a separate recovery partition you don't* - you use fastboot.
* However, DooMLoRD has been using a nice little script in his recent GB kernels to flash it in recovery.

So unless it has been designed by the dev to do so (and it will say so in their post), you don't do it in recovery
The Following User Says Thank You to sminki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sminki Ad-Free
30th June 2012, 02:13 PM |#244  
Ben36's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,890
 
More
Ah ok, i currently have v4 installed you see, so just do it the same then. Lol

Sent from my Xperia S on which The Kernel has been installed but he bought no chicken.....
30th June 2012, 06:30 PM |#246  
sminki's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag hard shoulders of reality
Thanks Meter: 262
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by championswimmer

in xperia 2012 devices, when you unlock bootloader, the the bootpartition shows up in vold so you can flash it from recovery

thanks champ, nice bit of info, but it would have to be scripted, iirc DooM's dd's the image to the partition (i'll have to look), maybe something to consider with this..
30th June 2012, 06:30 PM |#247  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by championswimmer

in xperia 2012 devices, when you unlock bootloader, the the bootpartition shows up in vold so you can flash it from recovery

How?


Sent from my LT26i using xda premium
30th June 2012, 08:27 PM |#248  
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminki

thanks champ, nice bit of info, but it would have to be scripted, iirc DooM's dd's the image to the partition (i'll have to look), maybe something to consider with this..

no he doesn't use dd
he just overwrites the boot partition using extract_package_file command

but yes using dd is pretty much the same thing and my script uses dd only.
The Following User Says Thank You to championswimmer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th June 2012, 08:39 PM |#249  
Arakmar's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Grenoble
Thanks Meter: 790
 
Donate to Me
More
Build 8 is here ! (UMS fixed in recovery)
I uploaded two versions, a fastboot flashable one and an update.zip (from CWM).
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Arakmar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Arakmar Ad-Free
30th June 2012, 08:59 PM |#250  
sminki's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag hard shoulders of reality
Thanks Meter: 262
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by championswimmer

no he doesn't use dd
he just overwrites the boot partition using extract_package_file command

but yes using dd is pretty much the same thing and my script uses dd only.

i really should study this more thanks for sharing (yet again!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakmar

Build 8 is here ! (UMS fixed in recovery)
I uploaded two versions, a fastboot flashable one and an update.zip (from CWM).

installed 8 from zip works perfectly, UMS working too, excellent work my friend!

edit: you get "E:Unable to write ums lunfile" when you try to unmount in recovery, it remains mounted
30th June 2012, 09:10 PM |#251  
Arakmar's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Grenoble
Thanks Meter: 790
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminki

i really should study this more thanks for sharing (yet again!)



installed 8 from zip works perfectly, UMS working too, excellent work my friend!

edit: you get "E:Unable to write ums lunfile" when you try to unmount in recovery, it remains mounted

Yes, you had to umount from your computer before umounting from the phone
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes