Thanks Meter: 321

Post Reply Email Thread
3rd July 2012, 07:46 AM |#211  
Flag Regina, Sask
Thanks Meter: 292

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejda

Anyone noticed the way recents cm9 handles datadata?
Space is automatically freed up when there's about 15/20Mb left.
Only issue i can see is chrome browser sometimes telling me "cache reading error" so i just have to refresh page.

Interesting! Does CM9 have a fix built right into the ROM now?

3rd July 2012, 08:10 AM |#212  
Thanks Meter: 1,957

More
Took me time to realise, was seeing my datadata about 15mb left then thought "hmm, don't forget your datafix" but kept forgetting and finally see that every time chrome gav me that cache reading error datadata got more space left.
Kept wondering about this and finally saw someone saying Pawitp talked about this.
I didn't found Pawitp's words or changelog stating it but that's it.
It's about a week that i flash cm9 based rom with no wipe and still i have approximately between 15 to 25mb left even opening new apps.
3rd July 2012, 02:32 PM |#213  
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Will there be any further development to the datafix script in the future? If not I recommend updating the original post with the latest test version.

I don't think the script needs any more work doing to it myself. Only thing I can think of is a user interface to make moving cache & apps to /data/data easier.
3rd July 2012, 03:51 PM |#214  
Thanks Meter: 310

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by upichie

Correct. Only those apps.

Apparently have cache on /data will make the app slower, but to be completely honest with you, I've never noticed any performance degradation from doing this. Of course, I only add an app to move_cache.txt if the app has an excessively large cache (which I check with the app Disk Usage).

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Open Disk Usage. Click root and then select /datadata. It will then scan all the files there. Disk Usage works by showing a visual representation of the size of each folder. So the left column will be one folder (/datadata), and each column to the right of that will be whatever folders/files are inside. The bigger the box, the bigger the file—and the largest ones will be on top.

So if you're looking at the /datadata folder, it will show the package names for your apps. The largest ones will be at the top. It's pretty straight-forward if you ask me.

My bad, dude. I always chose App Storage so that's the reason. Thanks a lot for the explanation
3rd July 2012, 06:12 PM |#215  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lyon

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejda

Took me time to realise, was seeing my datadata about 15mb left then thought "hmm, don't forget your datafix" but kept forgetting and finally see that every time chrome gav me that cache reading error datadata got more space left.
Kept wondering about this and finally saw someone saying Pawitp talked about this.
I didn't found Pawitp's words or changelog stating it but that's it.
It's about a week that i flash cm9 based rom with no wipe and still i have approximately between 15 to 25mb left even opening new apps.

That's a good news but if I understand correctly, it "only" flush the apps'cache if space left on /datadata is under 10%.
But what's happen when installing many apps with big libs (like Dice Player or so) ? I mean if no more cache is present and low free space left ?
I think CM dev thought about this but I'm curious. If someone could point to the appropriate bug it should be great !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertron

Will there be any further development to the datafix script in the future? If not I recommend updating the original post with the latest test version.

I don't think the script needs any more work doing to it myself. Only thing I can think of is a user interface to make moving cache & apps to /data/data easier.

There is developpement of the test version (as I've got a lot of personnal work not really fast ). And there's (at least) 2 bugs in test version : first if installing with previous datafix and second if space separated directories exists ...
Both corrected in current version. I think upload a new zip tomorrow including these fixes (and creation of default txt files in /data/local/datafix directory).

Plus Zatta and I are working on big improvements. Stay tuned !
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wendigogo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wendigogo Ad-Free
4th July 2012, 03:21 AM |#216  
Nebraska
Thanks Meter: 17

More
I may be the only one who didn't fully comprehend the whole picture of this script and what it does, but I am willing to bet there is someone else out there having the same problem?

I am running teamhacksung's ICS port for Fascinate with the kernel that comes with it. I initially installed it and then started having the low memory messages after about a week. I found this thread and ran the Datafix zip in CWR (20120524 version). After about another week, and after updating several apps in the market, my phone started to get laggy and a bit buggy. I think that the problem is that you need to periodically run the script again, right? Specifically, you should run the script (or reboot if you have the datafix installed via CWR) after updating a handful of apps or when it starts to lag again. Do I understand this correctly?

I was having some major problems so I decided to go back to stock, reflash the ICS rom, and Google apps. The problem was that I thought I would also save time and flash the datafix right after before the first boot. I think this probably causes some problems. First off, I haven't restored any apps yet for the datafix to affect. This seems obvious now, but not when I was trying to save time while flashing a rom. The real problem was when I would finally reboot my phone the next time. It would get stuck on the animation screen for at least 35 minutes if I let it! I am assuming that I waited too long to reboot/run the script after updating a bunch of apps?

I am not totally aware of all my errors, but I suspect that flashing the datafix right after the rom/Google apps and then not again until after updating several (approx 40) apps was causing problems...

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

I am thinking of using Script Manager to automate this whole process without having to actually reboot the phone. Just so I am sure I understand it...

1) the Datafix should run every time I reboot the phone if it was flashed via CWR, correct?

2) It is also possible to use Script Manager to automate the process without having to reboot via this procedure: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=23

Do I understand it correctly? Thanks for the advice!
4th July 2012, 06:55 AM |#217  
Flag Regina, Sask
Thanks Meter: 292

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrubeer

I am thinking of using Script Manager to automate this whole process without having to actually reboot the phone. Just so I am sure I understand it...

1) the Datafix should run every time I reboot the phone if it was flashed via CWR, correct?

2) It is also possible to use Script Manager to automate the process without having to reboot via this procedure: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=23

Do I understand it correctly? Thanks for the advice!

The ZIP file that you flash places the script in /system/etc/init.d. All scripts within this folder are run at boot. That is how it works. You can, of course, also run the script manually (with an app). I personally use Script Manager to run the script whenever I need to; I never reboot my phone just to run the script. Doing this also gives you the luxury of seeing what exactly the script does—what files it moves, what errors it encounters, when it runs out of space, etc.

I would definitely use Script Manager if you're having troubles. If you have flashed the zip, you can simply point Script Manager to /system/etc/init.d to find the script (the GUI is pretty much a file manager). Otherwise, as the post you quoted states, you can pull the script from the zip and have it anywhere you want on your sd card.

I'm not sure if flashing the script before the initial boot of a new ROM would cause problems, but I would probably give the phone a clean boot before doing anything to it—scripts, kernels, etc.

As for your other problems, if you install a bunch of apps without running the script, the apps' data will be in /data (the slower partition). When you run the script, it will move the necessary files to /datadata. So if you haven't run the script after installing a lot of apps, those apps may be slower.

Also, if you ever run out of space on /datadata, any apps that try to write data will force close, causing a lot of problems. Make sure you have some room on /datadata before running the script.

Always here to help. Let me know if you still have any questions.
4th July 2012, 05:05 PM |#218  
Flag Bali
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Reading this thread I just installed Script Manager from the market to give it a try.
After pointing it to system/etc/init.d and choosing our s30datafix_ng_busybox file, I clicked on RUN.
The execution window opens and states that permission is denied
Do I have to set something else before running this script through Script Manager?
4th July 2012, 07:19 PM |#219  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lyon

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by itenos

The execution window opens and states that permission is denied
Do I have to set something else before running this script through Script Manager?

I suppose you have to run it as root ...

As promised a new test version attached here, only two fixes here :
  • Solved a problem that can occurs if coming from another datafix version
  • Improve installation script in zip file :
    -creation of default txt files
    -adding gmail and market cache in move_cache.txt if not present
  • Fix issue with space separated directories in datafix script

Some others things to include/improve and the undo_datafix to finish.

Have a nice (end of) day !
Attached Files
File Type: zip SDataFix_test_20120704.zip - [Click for QR Code] (152.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: zip DataFix_test_20120704.zip - [Click for QR Code] (152.6 KB, 94 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wendigogo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wendigogo Ad-Free
4th July 2012, 09:01 PM |#220  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 159

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendigogo

As promised a new test version attached here, only two fixes here :

• Solved a problem that can occurs if coming from another datafix version
  • Improve installation script in zip file :
    -creation of default txt files
    -adding gmail and market cache in move_cache.txt if not present
  • Fix issue with space separated directories in datafix script

Some others things to include/improve and the undo_datafix to finish.

Have a nice (end of) day !

Thank you for this...just a few questions: what do you suggest is the process if coming from datafix_test.zip. Do you even suggest I flash this is things are running OK with latest test version? Things are running quite well for me with about 65MB free in Datadata after adding a few items to move_cache.txt and skip_apps.txt. I started off with 80MB, but even cleaning cache using TiBu Pro doesn't make it smaller, not sure where this is accumulating from?

BTW, thank you for bringing new life to my Captivate (i896)...I was ready to toss it seeing all the fancy OneX and SIII talk out there.
4th July 2012, 09:30 PM |#221  
Thanks Meter: 280

More
Flashed the new version a few hours ago. Everything seems to be OK right now! Feedback in a few days!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
datafix, init.d, low storage

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)