Running Homebrew Native Executables - Status: DONE!!

Search This thread

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Creating a live tile should be totally possible; we already know the API for that. Doing it in a way that won't wreck the battery life will take careful work, but is surely possible.

What I'm excited about here is a persistent background service that isn't subject to the app model restrictions. This can be used for things like automatically muting the phone in meetings (with exact timing, not the loose timing that the current background APIs give). It can also be used for things like making openVPN (a current project of mine) work on stock ROMs, which would otherwise be very difficult (technically possible if I can get the driver to load on a stock ROM, but a mess of hacks even then).

luka69

Jul 4, 2009
Today I will change the topic title from "Status: Not possible >YET<" to "Status: Possible!".

On Custom ROMs with Full Unlock it was already possible to run homebrew executables. For stock ROMs with Interop Unlock there is WP7 Root Tools which allows Policy Unlock for Silverlight applications. But running homebrew executables like Opera Mini was still not possible.

But now I've found a way to unlock homebrew executables using policies and certificates. I need to do more research before I can implement this unlock in WP7 Root Tools, because the unlock currently still needs some manual actions. But I know it's possible now, because I have it working.

I will keep you updated on the progress for implementing this in WP7 Root Tools.

I have to thank Cotulla for helping me find a stupid mistake I made! His incredible knowledge helped me see why I thought it was not working yet :D

Ciao,
Heathcliff74

Hi, thanks for your wonderfull job!!
Have any news about it? I would like to use opera with my unlocked optimus7.

Heathcliff74

Dec 1, 2010
Hi, thanks for your wonderfull job!!
Have any news about it? I would like to use opera with my unlocked optimus7.

There's no way to predict an ETA. Depends on how much time I can spend on it. Currently working on a managed abstraction layer for the policy engine, so I can integrate my new unlocks in WP7Root Tools. Making a little progress everyday. Just bear with me.

Ciao,
Heathcliff74

snickler

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 17, 2010
Dub V
www.sinclairinat0r.com
There's no way to predict an ETA. Depends on how much time I can spend on it. Currently working on a managed abstraction layer for the policy engine, so I can integrate my new unlocks in WP7Root Tools. Making a little progress everyday. Just bear with me.

Ciao,

Heathcliff74

thanks for taking the time to work on this =)

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Nixeus

Sep 14, 2007
If I understand, with this project, we could execute homebrew without using the Interop Hack, is'nt it ?

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@Nixeus: Not really. This will require making changes to the OS configuration that can only be made with high privilege access. Aside from custom ROMs with full-unlock (which can already run homebrew EXEs), the only ways to get this access on the phone currently all require interop-unlock. For example, WP7 Root Tools requires ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES so your phoen must be interop-unlocked to install it.

Nixeus

Sep 14, 2007
I would like to re-create or port a little C/C++ application whick i have wrote for Wm6.5.

My Application used the RAS function in order to manage the DATA connection.

Can i do it ?
If yes, with com-interop ? or, is there today a easiest way ?

Is there a guide ?

Thanks a lot ,

Nixeus

ultrashot

May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
I would like to re-create or port a little C/C++ application whick i have wrote for Wm6.5.

My Application used the RAS function in order to manage the DATA connection.

Can i do it ?
If yes, with com-interop ? or, is there today a easiest way ?

Is there a guide ?

Thanks a lot ,

Nixeus
The best (in general) way today is to write a silverlight app with native COM libraries inside. Follow this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1299134

Reactions: vova1609

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Breakthrough!

Today I will change the topic title from "Status: Not possible >YET<" to "Status: Possible!".

On Custom ROMs with Full Unlock it was already possible to run homebrew executables. For stock ROMs with Interop Unlock there is WP7 Root Tools which allows Policy Unlock for Silverlight applications. But running homebrew executables like Opera Mini was still not possible.

But now I've found a way to unlock homebrew executables using policies and certificates. I need to do more research before I can implement this unlock in WP7 Root Tools, because the unlock currently still needs some manual actions. But I know it's possible now, because I have it working.

I will keep you updated on the progress for implementing this in WP7 Root Tools.

I have to thank Cotulla for helping me find a stupid mistake I made! His incredible knowledge helped me see why I thought it was not working yet :D

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74
    [2012/06/03] IMPORTANT UPDATE HERE

Hi hackers,

This is meant as a little update on one of the projects I've been working on. I'm kinda stuck now. I have a suspicion of what the problem is. I thought that maybe if I write a post about it, me or someone else will have an idea on how to get this working.

The goal is to run native homebrew executables on WP7

This has not been done yet. All apps are Silverlight apps that are compiled as DLL and run by Taskhost.exe with least privileges. All other executables are signed by Microsoft. Executables that are compiled as ARM executable cannot be started.

The angle is to create a certificate that allows to sign a WP7 executable. Then add that to the appropriate certificate store. Create an executable. Sign it with the private key. Load it onto a WP7 device. Copy it to the Windows folder. Use an OEM driver to launch the executable.

First I did research on the certificate stores. I can now with certainty state that there are 4 certificate stores:
    - CA
    - Root
    - My
    - Code Integrity

After a lot of research I finally got complete read/write access to all of these stores. The Code Integrity store contains all the certificates that are used by the Loader Verifier to verify the executable that is being launched. When the device is launched for the first time, the certificates that are in \Windows\ciroots.p7b are installed to that certificate store. These certificates have these properties:

Key Usage = 0x86 = Digital Signature, Certificate Signing, Off-line CRL Signing, CRL Signing
    Entended Key Usage = Code Signing (1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.3) + Unknown key usage (1.3.6.1.4.1.311.10.3.14)

So I used OpenSSL to create such an certificate (with private key) for myself. And I installed the certificate in the Code Integrity store.

I then used VS2008 to create a completely barebone executable (ARMv4 Console app with only Sleep(-1) in the Main). I signed it with SignTool from Microsoft.

I loaded the executable to my device and I copied it to the \Windows folder (I think the policies restrict executing to only from that folder, but I'm not sure about that).

I use the Samsung driver to launch the executable, because I need at least Standard Rights to launch an executable. The Samsung driver has Elevated Rights. My own app has only Least Privileges. Using the Samsung driver does not return any success or fail codes. But looking at the Running Processes list, I don't see my Test.exe running. It should be, because the main thread is put to sleep infinitely.

So why is this not working?

Well, I have a guess. I think it's the policies that bind the certificates in the Code Integrity store to the different accounts/chambers. In the \Windows folder there are a lot of policy xml-files. On fist boot, these are merged into PolicyCommit.xml and then compiled to policydb.vol. When the Loader Verifier (lvmod.dll) loads an executable, it queries the policies to determine access rights and chamber for that executable. The policies that matter in this context are defined in 8314B832-8D03-444f-9A2A-1EF6FADCC3B8.policy.xml. It's an xml-file that basically says this:

Code:
    Microsoft Mobile Device Privileged PCA       - ced778d7bb4cb41d26c40328cc9c0397926b4eea - not used in this context
    Microsoft Mobile Device TCB PCA              - 88bcaec267ef8b366c6e6215ac4028e7a1be2deb - honored by System Identity Group
    Microsoft Mobile Device Unprivileged PCA     - 1c8229f5c8d6e256bdcb427cc5521ec2f8ff011a - honored by Standard Right Identity Group
    Microsoft Mobile Device VSD PCA              - 91b318116f8897d2860733fdf757b93345373574 - not used in this context
    VeriSign Mobile Root Authority for Microsoft - 069dbcca9590d1b5ed7c73de65795348e58d4ae3 - honored by LPC Identity Group

I should find a way to add a policy with my certificate in it. Any ideas? :eek:

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74
    Great!

I have to thank Cotulla for helping me find a stupid mistake I made! His incredible knowledge helped me see why I thought it was not working yet
    I won't tell to anyone :D
    **** so CLOSE!

Successful copied "main.exe" and "ExeX.exe" to "\Windows", where i have the right to launch them remotely.

Method:

WP7Process p = device.LaunchEXE(@"main.exe", "");

main.exe (no signing, ARMv7):
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied.

WP7Process p = device.LaunchEXE(@"ExeX.exe", "");

ExeX.exe (signed with CA/ROOT custom, ARMv4):
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800704EC): This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator.

There IS different things going on! Something is missing, but what :p

edit:

Signed main.exe with custom XDA ROOT certificate (ARMv7):
    signtool.exe sign /sha1 "[CertChomp]" "main.exe"
    > Now main.exe also gets "This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator."
    Ill see if i can add it to startup list , if it boot from there.

edit 2:
    Nope gonna hijack "fieldtestapp.exe" with my app because policy says:

Risky-mode.Activate();

Backup(fieldtestapp.exe, backupPath);
    Copy(main.exe, > fieldtestapp.exe);

"LOADERVERIFIER_ROUTE_BY_NAME"
    "LOADERVERIFIER_EXE_AUTHZ_INROM_ROOT"

<Rule Description="Route fieldtestapp.exe" ResourceIri="$(LOADERVERIFIER_ROUTE_BY_NAME)/PRIMARY/WINDOWS/FIELDTESTAPP.EXE" SpeakerAccountId="$(SYSTEM_USER_NAME)" PriorityCategoryId="PRIORITY_LOW">
    <Authorize>
    <Match AccountId="$(FIELDTESTAPP_EXE_SID)" AuthorizationIds="LV_ACCESS_EXECUTE" />
    </Authorize>
    </Rule>

<Rule Description="Authorize fieldtestapp.exe be loadable to $(FIELDTESTAPP_EXE_SID) and chambers" ResourceIri="$(LOADERVERIFIER_EXE_AUTHZ_INROM_ROOT)/WINDOWS/FIELDTESTAPP.EXE" SpeakerAccountId="$(SYSTEM_USER_NAME)" PriorityCategoryId="PRIORITY_STANDARD">
    <Authorize>
    <Match AccountId="$(FIELDTESTAPP_EXE_SID)" AuthorizationIds="LV_ACCESS_EXECUTE,LV_ACCESS_LOAD" />
    </Authorize>
    </Rule>

edit 3:
    Seems like "fieldtestapp.exe" is ROM locked. Need to try out some other targets.

edit 4:
    Target acquired "ProximitySensorDisable.exe" > "ProximitySensorDisableBackup.exe"
    Successful copy == no ROM lock.

edit 5:
    There exists two types of talking to the LoadVerifier (the: This program is blocked by group policy.):

Direct exe name OR special certificate
    How we do:
    > Direct exe (hijack exe)

How we cant do (SHA1) (Nope, ain't gonna happen):
    > We certainly dont have Microsofts certificate so this way is a nodo, haha lol, no do way.

(1: direct exe name) /LOADERVERIFIER/GLOBAL/AUTHORIZATION/PE_AUTHZ/NONE/NONE/PRIMARY/WINDOWS/CFGHOST.EXE
    (2: static/pre certificates) /LOADERVERIFIER/GLOBAL/CERTIFICATES/HASH/SHA1/91B318116F8897D2860733FDF757B93345373574

edit 6:
    Yep, loads of edits, just for you.

Allowed exe's to run (sorted a-z) (direct exe) (pre cert removed):
    Code:
    ACCESSIBILITYCPL.EXE
    ACCOUNTSMANAGER.EXE
    ALARMS.EXE
    APPCHECKERSHIM.EXE
    APPPREINSTALLER.EXE
    AUTODATACONFIG.EXE
    AUTOSIM.EXE
    AUTOTIMEUPDATE.EXE
    BRIGHTNESSCPL.EXE
    BTUXCPL.EXE
    CALENDARAPP.EXE
    CALLSETTINGSHOST.EXE
    CALNOT.EXE
    CALUPD.EXE
    CAM_FW_UPDATE_UI.EXE
    CELLUXCPL.EXE
    CERTINSTALLER.EXE
    CFGHOST.EXE
    CFLAUNCHER.EXE
    CHDIALERHOST.EXE
    CIPHASE2.EXE
    CLIENTSHUTDOWN3.EXE
    CLOCKNOT.EXE
    CMACCEPT3.EXE
    COLDINIT.EXE
    COMMSVC.EXE
    COMPOSITOR.EXE
    CONFIGDM.EXE
    CONFIGXML.EXE
    CONMANCLIENT3.EXE
    CONTACTS.EXE
    CPROG.EXE
    DATETIMECPL.EXE
    DCVSSWITCH.EXE
    DEPOTCOPY.EXE
    DEVICEFEEDBACKCPL.EXE
    DEVICEREG.EXE
    DIAGPORTCHANGETEST.EXE
    DLLHOST.EXE
    DMSCHEDULERCALLBACK.EXE
    DMSRV.EXE
    DMSTOOLS.EXE
    DUACLIENT.EXE
    DW.EXE
    EDM3.EXE
    EMAIL.EXE
    EMAILSETUP.EXE
    ENDPOINT.EXE
    FCROUTERCMDTEST.EXE
    FIELDTESTAPP.EXE
    FLIGHTMODE.EXE
    GAMESUX.EXE
    IEXPLORE.EXE
    INITIATEDMSESSION.EXE
    INVALIDLICENSEUXLAUNCHER.EXE
    KEYBOARDCPL.EXE
    LASSCREDENTIALEXPIRATIONCHECK.EXE
    LASSRESTARTER.EXE
    LIVETOKEN.EXE
    LOCKCPL.EXE
    LOOPBACKTEST.EXE
    MEDIAGROVEL.EXE
    MEUX.EXE
    MITSMAN.EXE
    MMSPRPROXY.EXE
    MMSTRANSHOST.EXE
    MULTIMEDIALAUNCHER.EXE
    MYPHONECPL.EXE
    MYPHONETASKSRUNTIME.EXE
    NATIVEINSTALLERHOST.EXE
    OFFICEURL.EXE
    OMADMCLIENT.EXE
    OMADMPRC.EXE
    OMHUB.EXE
    ONBOOTSQM.EXE
    ONENOTEMOBILE.EXE
    OOBE.EXE
    PACMANINSTALLER.EXE
    PHOTOENT.EXE
    PHOTOENTCAPTURE.EXE
    PHOTOUPLOADER.EXE
    PPT.EXE
    PWORD.EXE
    PWRLOGCTRL.EXE
    PXL.EXE
    RAPICONFIG.EXE
    REGIONCPL.EXE
    RMACTIVATE.EXE
    SAPISVR.EXE
    SECSIMTKIT.EXE
    SERVICESD.EXE
    SERVICESSTART.EXE
    SETTELEPORTMODE.EXE
    SETTINGS3.EXE
    SHORTMSG.EXE
    SICLNT.EXE
    SIGNALEVENT.EXE
    SIREPSERVERAPPDEV.EXE
    SMSETTINGS.EXE
    SMSTRANSPORT.EXE
    SOUNDCPL.EXE
    SPEECHCPL.EXE
    SPMC.EXE
    SQMEVENT.EXE
    SSUPDATE.EXE
    TASKHOST.EXE
    TELSHELL.EXE
    TESTSHOW.EXE
    THEMECPL.EXE
    TOGGLEBROWSERHIBERNATION.EXE
    TOGGLEDOG.EXE
    UDEVICE.EXE
    UIF.EXE
    UNIFIEDPAIR.EXE
    USBMGR.EXE
    WEBSEARCH.EXE
    WIFIUXSPLASH.EXE
    WLANEXT.EXE
    WLIDSETUP.EXE
    WWANDATAMGR.EXE
    XDRMREMOTESERV.EXE
    ZIPVIEW.EXE
    ZMFTASKLAUNCH.EXE

How code (yes i know its super un-optimized, fast put together):
    Code:
    var doc = XDocument.Load(File.OpenRead("SamsungOmnia7_BasePolicy_webserver.xml"));
    var ea = doc.Elements().ToArray()[0].Elements()
        .Where(x => x.Name.LocalName == "Rule")
        .Where(x => x.Attributes("ResourceIri").Count() > 0)
        .Where(x =>
        {
            var r = x.Attribute("ResourceIri").Value;
            return r.Contains("LOADERVERIFIER") && r.ToLower().Contains(".exe") && !r.Contains("CERTIFICATES");
        })
        .Select(x =>
        {
            var v = x.Attribute("ResourceIri").Value;

var l = v.LastIndexOf('/');

return v.Substring(l + 1);
        })
        .Distinct()
        .OrderBy(x => x)
        .ToArray();

edit 7:
    yeah, lol i say too.
    Unprotected exe (FCRouterCmdTest.exe)
    > c:\Project Work\SGH-i707(Cetus)\FCRouterCmdTest\Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK (ARMV4I)\Release\FCRouterCmdTest.pdb
    mfw samsung use "Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK (ARMV4I)"
    FINALLY!!

www.wp7roottools.com

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74