System Update IMM76Q: VZN Galaxy Nexus

Search This thread

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Despite its small size, it is a pretty extensive update. It includes a kernel patch, as well as updates to most of the system files.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I've noticed HTC does this, so I assume everyone else does too:

The patch files may contain no code changes, but merely signature/ version number updates. I haven't looked so far, but if they are 1-2kb patch files, there is a 99.99% chance it is just a meta-inf update.

It makes sense, as I am sure all they do is diff the current build from the previous and build the patch from there.

Edit: Now that I have looked, the real meat of the patch is in GoogleQuickSearchBox.odex (code for Google Search), framework.odex, and ext.jar. Even the kernel update is probably just a build date update, and no code change.

I would be surprised if this is much more than the nerf patch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yasu0906 and efrant

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20

The patch files may contain no code changes, but merely signature/ version number updates. I haven't looked so far, but if they are 1-2kb patch files, there is a 99.99% chance it is just a meta-inf update.

It makes sense, as I am sure all they do is diff the current build from the previous and build the patch from there.

Edit: Now that I have looked, the real meat of the patch is in GoogleQuickSearchBox.odex (code for Google Search), framework.odex, and ext.jar. Even the kernel update is probably just a build date update, and no code change.

I thus stand corrected.

anton2009

Aug 21, 2010
Lincoln, NE

You are correct - GoogleQuickSearchBox (103kb) and framework (193kb) are the bulk of this update. Doesn't sound like something I'd be too eager to flash!

Winesnob

May 20, 2012
Lorton, VA
Can anyone tell if anything beyond the patent workaround is contained? Update LTE radio? Just wondering if it's worth flashing.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

animal24

Sep 4, 2011
flashing:p

Edit: Kind of wondering what you guys mean by nuetered. I don't notice any difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: segv11

segv11

Mar 19, 2012
flashing:p

Edit: Kind of wondering what you guys mean by nuetered. I don't notice any difference.

It means they gimped the on-device search to comply with Apple's patent trolling. I was hoping there was something good in here, like a new radio, but apparently not.

I don't use unified search - but I think I'll skip this OTA as a "**** you" to Apple. Might update build.prop to pretend that I installed it... Of course once I get around to flashing JB, it won't be an issue.

Apple must really hate Android because we have so much freedom compared to their iJail. The Galaxy Nexus is one of the most hackable devices I've ever owned.

Sent from my BANNED Unified-Search-enabled Galaxy Nexus.

Last edited:
Reactions: efrant

wescrock

Jul 28, 2008
IMM76Q

My wife and I both have POS verizon Galaxy Nexus'... They both have sever antenna issues where LTE & CDMA drop out completely... I called Verizon yesterday to get a warranty replacement and they started the process and said they would call me back today... I got no call.

I just got off the phone with Verizon and the tier 2 support told me that Build IMM76Q is pending release (within a week of the 6th.) The support agent mentioned that the antenna issues are addressed in this build... I am highly skeptical...

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
My wife and I both have POS verizon Galaxy Nexus'... They both have sever antenna issues where LTE & CDMA drop out completely... I called Verizon yesterday to get a warranty replacement and they started the process and said they would call me back today... I got no call.

I just got off the phone with Verizon and the tier 2 support told me that Build IMM76Q is pending release (within a week of the 6th.) The support agent mentioned that the antenna issues are addressed in this build... I am highly skeptical...

They most certainly are not. IMM76Q only addresses the on-device search issue. Nothing more.

equineranch

Jul 15, 2012
I have IMM76Q Don't install

Just thought I would add my knowledge here. Take it for what it is worth. I recently installed the 4.0.4 IMM76Q on my Galaxy Nexus Verizon rooted phone. I am an idiot in the fact that I have no idea how I installed this while I was trying to install Jelly bean. What this version has done, is it has overwritten my superuser rights, as well as has tampered with recovery mode. There is no recovery mode now. I would like to uninstall this, but am not sure how to do it. I have reset all factory data, wiped,and formated. I also tried pushing clockworkmod and su to my device via sdk, but that did not work either. I can't tell any difference in the radio for this, but the it does seem to be stable. If anyone has any advice, please email.

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
Just thought I would add my knowledge here. Take it for what it is worth. I recently installed the 4.0.4 IMM76Q on my Galaxy Nexus Verizon rooted phone. I am an idiot in the fact that I have no idea how I installed this while I was trying to install Jelly bean. What this version has done, is it has overwritten my superuser rights, as well as has tampered with recovery mode. There is no recovery mode now. I would like to uninstall this, but am not sure how to do it. I have reset all factory data, wiped,and formated. I also tried pushing clockworkmod and su to my device via sdk, but that did not work either. I can't tell any difference in the radio for this, but the it does seem to be stable. If anyone has any advice, please email.

Every OTA update removes root. You need to re-root when you install an OTA, or you need to use OTA Root Keeper from the market before flashing the OTA. Since you need to re-root, download the latest Superuser-3.x.x.zip from androidsu.com, put it on your phone's internal storage, reboot into your bootloader, flash ClockworkMod manually via fastboot flash recovery cwm.img, then use that to flash the Superuser-3.x.x.zip that you put on your phone's internal storage. Root problem solved. Now for the recovery problem...

When you boot after installing an OTA, it installs a script that re-flashes stock recovery every time you boot up. So in this case, you've rooted with CWM, then you booted up, CWM has now been overwritten again with stock recovery. To get around this, now that you have root, go into /system/etc and rename the file install-recovery.sh to something like install-recovery.sh.bak. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery again, and you're all set.

Also keep in mind you'll have to do this every time you flash an OTA.

Last edited:
Reactions: animal24

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I received an OTA software update with build number IMM76Q. Has anyone else received it?
    Queue the, "When I try to flash it I get an android laying on its back" posts. :)
    Despite its small size, it is a pretty extensive update. It includes a kernel patch, as well as updates to most of the system files.

Thanks to El MadHatter...

http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-mysid-IMM76Q-from-IMM76K.b91e5f74.zip

It'll be mirrored on randomphantasmagoria.com later tonight in case Google takes it down.

Lol nice "screenshot".