FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

2,478 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,037
 
By dzo, Senior Recognized Developer on 3rd April 2008, 10:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th October 2008, 02:26 AM |#1441  
dzo's Avatar
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 5,037
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideal2545

Yeah, im still having problems with power collapse (getting the red led). Do i need to update the default.txt at all with the latest release from your site?

Thanks,
Jon

Power collapse should work fine now, having the red led is good, it means the phone is using minimal power. If you can't wake it from this state then that is bad. A possible problem is that I don't think power collapse will work with the old radio.
 
 
30th October 2008, 02:51 AM |#1442  
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 77
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzo

Power collapse should work fine now, having the red led is good, it means the phone is using minimal power. If you can't wake it from this state then that is bad. A possible problem is that I don't think power collapse will work with the old radio.

Speaking of power collapse... there seems to still be an issue with apps waking the phone up... or at least the Alarm Clock waking it up.

I set my alarm for 7:00am in the morning, and left the phone charging via usb overnight... so somewhere in that 7 hours, the phone entered a state where the alarm clock wouldn't wake it up, and once i pressed the power (home) button to actually wake the phone up, the alarm sounded.

I know the alarm does work while the phone's in sleep mode. I tried setting the alarm 11 minutes in the future and putting the screen to sleep, and the alarm went off just fine.

Maybe this new kernel will fix it, i'll let you know if the phone goes off tomorrow morning.

Also, Martin... would it help to look at battery meters on other phones that officially run linux, to figure out how to calculate the remaining charge?
30th October 2008, 02:58 AM |#1443  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzo

Power collapse should work fine now, having the red led is good, it means the phone is using minimal power. If you can't wake it from this state then that is bad. A possible problem is that I don't think power collapse will work with the old radio.


My Apologies, I ment I keep on getting the green l.e.d. Im also fully upgraded on the radio. Am I perhaps missing something in default.txt? I dont have it modified whatsoever.

Thanks,
Jon
30th October 2008, 03:14 AM |#1444  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzo

I've updated the kernel with a somewhat working battery meter. I can get all the information from the hardware but the actual value of the charge left in the battery is some complex function of voltage, temperature and current in and out. Until I can work out this function, I have made it depend only on the voltage, this means it's not reliable but should give you some idea of if the battery needs charging.

I messed with the pm driver too, it should wake up better now.

I tried adding bugmen0t's new dialer but it looks like it needs the open source framework, I'll try making a fully open source system image another time.

Only zImage has changed from yesterday's build. Available here:
http://cs-alb-pc3.massey.ac.nz/vogue/zImage

awesome news. I'll be sure to give this a shot real soon. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig0r

Speaking of power collapse... there seems to still be an issue with apps waking the phone up... or at least the Alarm Clock waking it up.

I set my alarm for 7:00am in the morning, and left the phone charging via usb overnight... so somewhere in that 7 hours, the phone entered a state where the alarm clock wouldn't wake it up, and once i pressed the power (home) button to actually wake the phone up, the alarm sounded.

I know the alarm does work while the phone's in sleep mode. I tried setting the alarm 11 minutes in the future and putting the screen to sleep, and the alarm went off just fine.

Maybe this new kernel will fix it, i'll let you know if the phone goes off tomorrow morning.

Also, Martin... would it help to look at battery meters on other phones that officially run linux, to figure out how to calculate the remaining charge?

I just wanted to mention an issue similar to this:

The phone was asleep (I think it had been for quite a while, but don't really know).
I got a call, the ringer went off, but the screen did not turn on.
I pressed the green button, and was still able to answer.

Just thought I would throw that out there. There was obviously no way to turn on the screen, because I would have thereby hung up so..ya :S

Thanks again.
30th October 2008, 03:58 AM |#1445  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
The Following User Says Thank You to Zenn_Darkfire For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zenn_Darkfire Ad-Free
30th October 2008, 04:02 AM |#1446  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenn_Darkfire

Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)

no there isnt and there will probably not be a way
30th October 2008, 04:05 AM |#1447  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzo

Power collapse should work fine now, having the red led is good, it means the phone is using minimal power. If you can't wake it from this state then that is bad. A possible problem is that I don't think power collapse will work with the old radio.

I noticed when grabbing widgets (like the clock), it has a small pulse vibe feedback. I think this is a nice really touch! This would be cool to keep in mind for the next version of the keyboard.
30th October 2008, 04:29 AM |#1448  
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 77
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsungboxer

I noticed when grabbing widgets (like the clock), it has a small pulse vibe feedback. I think this is a nice really touch! This would be cool to keep in mind for the next version of the keyboard.

doesn't the keyboard do that already? mine sure does, anyway.
30th October 2008, 04:40 AM |#1449  
derekwilkinson's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 327
 
More
Is there a bug-list anywhere?

When the keyboard is enabled, the screen goes up and down, so that I cannot see what I am typing. Is this normal?
30th October 2008, 04:51 AM |#1450  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
power led
on the latest version the led dosnt turn red, im not sure if that means you changed it or in the latest release my phone is not going into power collapse.
30th October 2008, 04:56 AM |#1451  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekwilkinson

Is there a bug-list anywhere?

When the keyboard is enabled, the screen goes up and down, so that I cannot see what I am typing. Is this normal?

Yes. dzo explained it somewhere, probably about 30 pages back . It has something to do with using the last position the screen was drawn as the area that will be shown in the available screen area. It bounces around because different areas of the screen are being drawn to, and because there isn't a proper software input framework in Android yet, no real Android-y on-screen keyboard can exist. This one we're using is implemented as a kernel-mode driver, I think.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, linux, vogue

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes