FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Does NFC drain battery?

70 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

Thread Deleted Email Thread
I couldn't find a thread on this and was just curious if NFC drains battery. If so, does it drain a significant amount or is it miniscule?

Cheers

10th July 2012, 12:17 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Working on benchmarking that myself right now. Not sure yet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium
10th July 2012, 02:51 AM |#3  
Flag Norwich
Thanks Meter: 101

More
bump...good question
10th July 2012, 02:58 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 150

More
I haven't noticed any change with it in and off but there is no imperical evidence .. Just from what I've noticed...

Sent from my SPH-L710...if some one helps you press the thanks button
10th July 2012, 09:35 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag San Antonio, Tx

More
I'm going to test it out for the next few days and will post what i find.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to abstraction21 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift abstraction21 Ad-Free
10th July 2012, 09:37 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
If it does burn any battery and I mean any I will be disabling it as I don't use it. If I ever need it I'll just enable it again. But until I hear that it takes any battery at all I'll leave it on.
10th July 2012, 08:20 PM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Plainfield
Thanks Meter: 538

More
No. NFC is completely off unless the device is on and unlocked when it is on consumption is very low.

They actually talked about this at IO as well - breaking down battery drain while the device was on and in use NFC accounted for 0.5% of power consumption (out of 100). Again this is while the device was on. Given that it's disabled when the screen is off you're looking at less than that averaged over regular use of the device.
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to krohnjw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift krohnjw Ad-Free
10th July 2012, 08:34 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag San Antonio, Tx

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw

No. NFC is completely off unless the device is on and unlocked when it is on consumption is very low.

They actually talked about this at IO as well - breaking down battery drain while the device was on and in use NFC accounted for 0.5% of power consumption (out of 100). Again this is while the device was on. Given that it's disabled when the screen is off you're looking at less than that averaged over regular use of the device.

Thanks for the info. I have been using NFC all day and haven't noticed any difference in battery at all. 0.5% is hardly noticeable and disabling it would be pointless. With that said, I flashed a new ROM before clearing the data from Google Wallet so I likely bricked my GWallet anyway so it wouldn't make much difference to me anyway.

*Thanks button clicked
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abstraction21 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift abstraction21 Ad-Free
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread