3,112 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,407

By jocala, Senior Member on 7th July 2012, 07:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th July 2012, 03:15 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
sd/swap beta
hi jocala ,was wondering if you could fully explain how to do the swpp sd in full ?

thanks

sean
13th July 2012, 03:16 AM |#12  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ocala

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkt_Lnt

That is from within CWM from that link, maybe my old XP laptop is playing games. Is that implying that I should move files in recovery?

I also find a swapsd01.zip and a swapsd.apk, same, just different application method?

The swapsd.apk in this thread is the app. Disregard any links to zips, they are outdated.
13th July 2012, 03:37 AM |#13  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ocala

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roto rooter

hi jocala ,was wondering if you could fully explain how to do the swpp sd in full ?

thanks

sean

I've attached a screenshot to the OP, hopefully that will help. It's pretty simple:

Root is required. Run the app, you'll see four buttons, Help, Default, Swap, Reboot.

To swap sd and external_sd press Swap.

To return to default, press Default.

Once you press either of the buttons above, press Reboot.

For instructions, press Help.
13th July 2012, 03:43 AM |#14  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ocala

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

That is from within CWM from that link, maybe my old XP laptop is playing games. Is that implying that I should move files in recovery?

No. I misunderstood your post. To mount your /sdcard (internal) in cwm mount /sdcard. To mount your removable sd do mount /emmc.
The Following User Says Thank You to jocala For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jocala Ad-Free
13th July 2012, 05:55 AM |#15  
Recognized Contributor
Flag SLO
Thanks Meter: 5,824

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocala

No. I misunderstood your post. To mount your /sdcard (internal) in cwm mount /sdcard. To mount your removable sd do mount /emmc.

Well, I got it done. I had to do it a little different, more lengthy, more secure. Backed up both partitions to my computer. Activated swapsd, rebooted to recovery, but could not mount both simultaneously. So I mounted the new /sdcard that is removable and moved what was backed up on the computer from the previous internal card to it. Rebooted and then cleaned up everything for duplicates. Thanks for the help again.
13th July 2012, 05:56 AM |#16  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ocala

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Well, I got it done. I had to do it a little different, more lengthy, more secure. Backed up both partitions to my computer. Activated swapsd, rebooted to recovery, but could not mount both simultaneously. So I mounted the new /sdcard that is removable and moved what was backed up on the computer from the previous internal card to it. Rebooted and then cleaned up everything for duplicates. Thanks for the help again.

Glad it worked out for you. Good luck with your Galaxy Exhibit
14th July 2012, 04:44 AM |#17  
kenner, La
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

Tested by me on the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit only. (I'm told it works on the Galaxy W). If your device's /system/etc/vold.fstab file matches the attached original Galaxy Exhibit fstab file, it may work for you as well.

A common complaint about some Samsung Gingerbread phones is the fact that they mount the relatively small internal sd memory as /mnt/sdcard and this memory is treated as the phone's primary removable storage by some apps, ignoring the "real" removable sd card that Samsung refers to as "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd".

This simple gui allows you to swap the two so your larger "external sd" is mounted as "/mnt/sdcard/" and the smaller sd internal memory is mounted as "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd".

This is done by changing a file called vold.fstab in your phone's /etc folder. The original device vold.fstab file is backed up to /etc/vold.fstab.backup when this app first runs. Your data on /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/sdcard/external_sd is not touched in any way whatsoever. Root is required.

Please nandroid backup before testing!

How to change the file?

Many thanks
14th July 2012, 05:00 AM |#18  
Recognized Contributor
Flag SLO
Thanks Meter: 5,824

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAchick

How to change the file?

Many thanks

Install the apk in the OP, and choose the swap button, then the reboot button. Sorry to be so technical..........
14th July 2012, 05:22 AM |#19  
kenner, La

More
Quote:

Install the apk in the OP, and choose the swap button, then the reboot button. Sorry to be so technical..........

That's the big question....for us noobies

Tanks though...
14th July 2012, 05:23 AM |#20  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ocala

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAchick

That's the big question....for us noobies

Tanks though...

Copy the file to your SD card. Open it in your file manager.
14th July 2012, 05:33 AM |#21  
kenner, La

More
Quote:

Copy the file to your SD card. Open it in your file manager.

Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to NOLAchick For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NOLAchick Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)