Asus USA, Netherlands suggest TF101 Jelly Bean undecided; Asus Germany disagrees

Search This thread

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
Update: different branches of Asus are directly contradicting each other about whether we'll get an update. See http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28840181 for the first example. See http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29269146 for yet another contradiction.

Title says it all, really. Asus Europe has confirmed at a press event that Jelly Bean will be released for the Prime, the TF300, and the TF700T, but TF101 and Slider users will be left out in the cold.

Rough translation:

"Sam from Tablets Magazine was present at the press conference, and ASUS confirmed that not all of its tablets can expect an update to the newest version of Android. The Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201, the Transformer Pad TF300 and the Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 are certain to receive Android 4.1 Jellybean.

The previously launched models, the Eee Pad Transformer TF101 and the Eee Pad Slider, are not expected to be updated, and will remain on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich."

http://www.tabletsmagazine.nl/2012/...finity-krijgen-android-4-1-jelly-bean-update/

Last edited:

Sir Flashalot

Feb 5, 2011
Camelot
Read the same news but have not seen it confirmed on other sites. Anyone? The source article says "Earlier launched models, such as the Eee Pad Transformer TF101 and the Eee Pad Slider, won't have to expect an update". They're not literally saying it will "NOT" come to the TF101. Just that it's not expected. So, it's still possible. And isn't Asus supposed to support their Android OS devices 18 months and should comply to Google regulations?

Furthermore, what grauntparty says: our respected XDA devs have done a far better job on ICS than Asus did. In fact, Asus is somehow obliged to grant us TF101 users a JB update. Especially the unlucky ones on stock rom. If you read this Asus, you know what to do... This upgrade cannot be that hard for you, even my old Defy is now running a CM10 JB nigthly already. If not, In Dev We Trust but your brand won't appear on my next shopping list.

OT/
A propos, Motorola, another fine example of customer loyalty. Defy got stuck on Froyo with a locked bootloader, which they promised to remove in 2011. Never heard anything ever since. And now thanks to xda devs it has JB. Oh, as much as I love my precious Defy I HATE Moto. :)

Last edited:
L

LastStandingDroid

Title says it all, really. Asus Europe has confirmed at a press event that Jelly Bean will be released for the Prime, the TF300, and the TF700T, but TF101 and Slider users will be left out in the cold.

Rough translation:

"Sam from Tablets Magazine was present at the press conference, and ASUS confirmed that not all of its tablets can expect an update to the newest version of Android. The Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201, the Transformer Pad TF300 and the Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 are certain to receive Android 4.1 Jellybean.

The previously launched models, the Eee Pad Transformer TF101 and the Eee Pad Slider, are not expected to be updated, and will remain on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich."

http://www.tabletsmagazine.nl/2012/...finity-krijgen-android-4-1-jelly-bean-update/

this is the last thing i bought from asus ,

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

If this is true, it'll be my last ASUS Android purchase. Halting support for new versions after only a year?!

yeah, if its true, i hate it, Galaxy S II has one and a half year and GOOGLE says manufucator should at least support the device 18 months :(

donnieace

Aug 19, 2011
This tablet better get an official update. It shouldn't be hard for them to come up with one.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

theparanoid

Apr 15, 2008
like wise i bought this tablet in december. and it know to old to be update a mere 7 months later. first it takes them months and months to get ics and it buggy.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
Read the same news but have not seen it confirmed on other sites. Anyone? The source article says "Earlier launched models, such as the Eee Pad Transformer TF101 and the Eee Pad Slider, won't have to expect an update". They're not literally saying it will "NOT" come to the TF101. Just that it's not expected. So, it's still possible.

I know, you don't want to believe it, but that's clutching at straws. (Google-translated straws, at that.)

Asus has told them which products are and aren't getting updates. They've reported that. The only way we'll get an update from Asus now is if they change their mind, which is pretty darned unlikely.

I'm sure we'll get an excuse at some point that the TF101 and Slider "aren't capable" of running JB, which we all know is complete nonsense.

The real reason we're not getting the update? Because we're Tegra 2, which is no longer the current generation. Hence it costs money to make the update; they can't simply repurpose an update for another device. (Devices getting the update are all Tegra 3; devices not getting it are all Tegra 2.)

If you ask me, it's likely why the ICS update we got is so rubbish, as well. We got a half-assed bodged variant of Tegra 3 ICS, rather than a proper Tegra 2 build. So frankly, it's good news that we're not getting official JB, because we'd just have gotten another half-assed build if they'd shipped one, anyway.

Reactions: SavCom

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
No, that's how I interpret the source article. And I'm Dutch, so I should know. I couldn't care less what Asus does or doesn't.

Fair enough, apologies for the misunderstanding, I don't often look at people's flags. Should've noticed that, though.

That said, even with your translation, you're still clutching at straws. Why would Asus tell them it wasn't coming, unless they'd decided it wasn't coming?

locutus7o9

Jul 13, 2010
this is the last thing i bought from asus ,

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

yeah, if its true, i hate it, Galaxy S II has one and a half year and GOOGLE says manufucator should at least support the device 18 months :(

Transformer TF101 was launched on March 30, 2011. Adding 18 months, we should be hoping for software updates until October 2012.

That would give Asus 2.5 more months to support the device with updates. I'd personally expect perhaps 1 more ICS update but given Asus track record on updates I don't expect JB anymore. It takes them a couple (or more) of updates to get it somewhat stable and that would take more months.

scottyf79

May 1, 2011
United Kingdom *****ez.
Try getting yourself a Samsung Tablet then and see what real under valued customers have to go through. Asus have been way more reasonable with updates for the TF. I can understand the frustration but there are worse out there. Org Gtab (some) are still on Froyo, then the 1st gen larger tabs (some) are still on HC.....then the Tab2 rolled out within months of those.

Maybe the problem is just the whole Android system in itself......too many cooks and all that.
Maybe Google will have to ditch some of the manufacturers from the scene.
Or maybe the manufacturers that use Android just need to stop arseing around with it and all the fancy schmancy extra things they do with the O.S and leave it as close to the Google image as possible.
Or they should just pay our devs a good some of money to fix what they have came up with and let them show the way it should be done.

Who knows.

As much as i like how the whole android set up works for me, i have to be honest and say i now understand why and how Ipads etc are so appealing to some. Its a lot of money to spend on something that "sometimes" works the way it should.

I would jailbreak any "i"device so i dont think its a case of you shouldnt have to rely on our fantastic hard working devs to make something better......its just the way it is.

Go devs! We salute you! nuff respect :p:good: (look forward to some well made JB:D)

RaymanFX

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 8, 2011
Hannover
Well, no JellyBean crap from asus for you this time.

But as of aosp, I am making progress.

I love my TF101, even though our relationship is complex atm as we have to communicate through adb, as the touchscreen drivers aren't fixed as of now.

But JellyBean works. Just a little more effort for the first test releases.

I even get full support from my old friend guevor and maybe also from Team Liquid for Rom debugging.

Nuff said, asus.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, no JellyBean crap from asus for you this time.

But as of aosp, I am making progress.

I love my TF101, even though our relationship is complex atm as we have to communicate through adb, as the touchscreen drivers aren't fixed as of now.

But JellyBean works. Just a little more effort for the first test releases.

I even get full support from my old friend guevor and maybe also from Team Liquid for Rom debugging.

Nuff said, asus.
    Some if not most of the developers here at XDA who program for the tf101 do a better job than the officials over at ASUS. I have faith in our developers and will support them fully to release any form of Jelly Bean for our beloved tablet.
    Update: different branches of Asus are directly contradicting each other about whether we'll get an update. See http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28840181 for the first example. See http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29269146 for yet another contradiction.

Rough translation:

If this is true, it'll be my last ASUS Android purchase. Halting support for new versions after only a year?!
    More to the point, let's hope they actually beta-test.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

or alpha test for that matter...