Update from zip aborted

Search This thread

strakajagr

May 26, 2008
In an attempt to go from ICS 206 to 215, I followed the instructions step by step and using the utility, when I get to the step where it says instill zip file from SD card, I navigate to "D4.6.16.215.zip", apply it, and it says update aborted.

My phone will now no longer boot beyond the M Dual Core screen. It is simply blank. Does anyone have any ideas?

icebear8

Aug 5, 2010
Des moines ia
i was about 5mins away from doing the same thing you did before glad i saw this gonna, i'm gonna wait until you find a fix (im on .213)

strakajagr

May 26, 2008
i was about 5mins away from doing the same thing you did before glad i saw this gonna, i'm gonna wait until you find a fix (im on .213)

Well I'm back working again, but it's still on 206 even though I went through the flashing process to 215. I haven't even thought about updating my phone since installing 206 when it came out. I have read many threads that talk about "unsticking" to get from 206 to 208, but they're over a month old. I can't follow the instructions associated with unsticking because a) they're written for the razr and thus are ridiculously confusing, and b) the one thread that tries to explain how to use unstuckICS for D4 users makes even less sense.

I posted about where to get unstuckICS on another forum and someone directed me back to the Droid4withICSfix-rootLITE tool, which I already had. Step 16 seems to flash (with a TON of error that are supposedly to be expected) but then I can't apply any zip updates. All attempts abort.

This is all so maddening because nothing I try is working. At least my phone isn't a paper weigh. So I have that going for me... which is nice.

strakajagr

May 26, 2008
Well I'm back working again, but it's still on 206 even though I went through the flashing process to 215. I haven't even thought about updating my phone since installing 206 when it came out. I have read many threads that talk about "unsticking" to get from 206 to 208, but they're over a month old. I can't follow the instructions associated with unsticking because a) they're written for the razr and thus are ridiculously confusing, and b) the one thread that tries to explain how to use unstuckICS for D4 users makes even less sense.

I posted about where to get unstuckICS on another forum and someone directed me back to the Droid4withICSfix-rootLITE tool, which I already had. Step 16 seems to flash (with a TON of error that are supposedly to be expected) but then I can't apply any zip updates. All attempts abort.

This is all so maddening because nothing I try is working. At least my phone isn't a paper weigh. So I have that going for me... which is nice.

Literally the tool does nothing. I run it. Everything in step 16 essentially errors out. Ultimately the phone reboots having accomplished zero. I am "stuck" on 206.

strakajagr

May 26, 2008

icebear8

Aug 5, 2010
Des moines ia
\how did you get back to normal when you soft bricked? so i know i can get back if i get the same problem. i might try this just to see if it works for me

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

\how did you get back to normal when you soft bricked? so i know i can get back if i get the same problem. i might try this just to see if it works for me

VRZ_XT894_6.5.1-167_DR4-1_M1-219_1FF_01.xml.zip this is the fastboot GB 219 files correct? my files are all over the place lol

strakajagr

May 26, 2008
I just booted to recovery and did a data wipe/factory reset, and I was back to stock 206. I didn't use that xml file because I'm not upgrading from GB.

jsnweitzel

Apr 22, 2012
South Carolina
Not sure why you guys are having trouble. I used the tool yesterday to go from 213 to 215. Basically we are flashing the GB files, then the boot.img for 215, letting it reboot and attempt to update, it will stick at the moto boot logo, then flashing the update in stock recovery. The only thing that might be of issue is if you are running safestrap, menu 16 is designed to not over write your data. I haven't tried running safestrap and using menu 16 to update. You can try the old method of flashing the GB files, Flashing the boot.img and then recovery update flash.

mrAdvo

Jun 27, 2011
Not sure why you guys are having trouble. I used the tool yesterday to go from 213 to 215. Basically we are flashing the GB files, then the boot.img for 215, letting it reboot and attempt to update, it will stick at the moto boot logo, then flashing the update in stock recovery. The only thing that might be of issue is if you are running safestrap, menu 16 is designed to not over write your data. I haven't tried running safestrap and using menu 16 to update. You can try the old method of flashing the GB files, Flashing the boot.img and then recovery update flash.

In terms of names - are you using boot.img or ICSFIX.img for the name of boot on .215?

strakajagr

May 26, 2008
Right, but you're not dealing with upgrading from 206, which is supposedly the pain in the ass build to upgrade from.

azrael293

I`m going to update from 213 to 215, and still need an anwer: ICFIX.img or boot.img?
Thanks in advance.

You should be able to rename to boot.img and upgrade from .213 to .215. As for the .206 upgrade you may have to follow the full upgrade process outlined in the ics upgrade thread in which you have to flash the gb fastboot before upgrading to the next build. It seems to have worked for most people going from leak to leak.

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

jsnweitzel

Apr 22, 2012
South Carolina
If your using the modified D4 tool I made then you should name it ICSFIX. However I think we can shorten the process further and will try to work on that tonight.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

podspi

Jul 6, 2011
Chicago
You should be able to rename to boot.img and upgrade from .213 to .215. As for the .206 upgrade you may have to follow the full upgrade process outlined in the ics upgrade thread in which you have to flash the gb fastboot before upgrading to the next build. It seems to have worked for most people going from leak to leak.

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

Wait, are you saying that you can just flash the boot.img without having to fastboot GB?! Cause if that is the case, I wasted a ton of time last night going from 213 --> 215 :D

azrael293

Wait, are you saying that you can just flash the boot.img without having to fastboot GB?! Cause if that is the case, I wasted a ton of time last night going from 213 --> 215 :D

Going by the tool you would have to flash the fastboot of the GB files then proceed to flash the current leak. Same as with all the previous leaks. What I meant by flashing it as boot.img is that name format should work, tho jsnweitzel said that with his tool it should be named as icsfix.img instead. he replied right after I had posted and I'd go with his response since it is his code/tool. lol

podspi

Jul 6, 2011
Chicago
Going by the tool you would have to flash the fastboot of the GB files then proceed to flash the current leak. Same as with all the previous leaks. What I meant by flashing it as boot.img is that name format should work, tho jsnweitzel said that with his tool it should be named as icsfix.img instead. he replied right after I had posted and I'd go with his response since it is his code/tool. lol

Ok, I was just afraid for a moment I had wasted a bunch of nail-biting time or something :D

I think a lot of people get tripped up at the boot.img --> ICSFIX.img step. Especially because the instructions tell you to rename it to ICSFIX, not ICSFIX.img (which Windows may or may not do for you automatically, depending on your settings).

That being said, it is still incredibly easy to move from one leak to the other with the utility, it is incredibly awesome.(Thanks jsnweitzel!)

Reactions: azrael293

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ok, I was just afraid for a moment I had wasted a bunch of nail-biting time or something :D

I think a lot of people get tripped up at the boot.img --> ICSFIX.img step. Especially because the instructions tell you to rename it to ICSFIX, not ICSFIX.img (which Windows may or may not do for you automatically, depending on your settings).

That being said, it is still incredibly easy to move from one leak to the other with the utility, it is incredibly awesome.(Thanks jsnweitzel!)