[TOOLKIT] Dualboot CM9 and FakeCWM for Sprint SGS3

Search This thread

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
If you're talking about touchwiz roms, you might want a larger partition size to really make it usable.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

What did you edit to change the image sizes?

I did it all from my phone using Root Explorer
-Unzip the multiboot setup zip
-Open the file named "create_images.sh" with a text editor
-At the top of the file you'll see the commands that dictate the image sizes, change these to whatever you like (in MB).
-Save the file and re-zip the contents
-Flash

This toolkit is designed to boot CM9 with a modified kernel initramfs. Even if you increased the images sizes to hold a stock rom, it will not boot a stock rom because the stock kernel uses a different initramfs.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

It is possible to adapt the toolkit to boot a stock rom, but currently is not supported.

So, I've been working on trying to port MIUI to the SGS3 using CMTeamEpic's CM9 build as my base. Considering the kernel will be unchanged, would I be able to boot the ported MIUI using these multiboot tools?

Also, are there plans to develop this to be able to multiboot multiple (>3) ROMs based on any kernel?

tjr2010

Jul 17, 2008
This toolkit is designed to boot CM9 with a modified kernel initramfs. Even if you increased the images sizes to hold a stock rom, it will not boot a stock rom because the stock kernel uses a different initramfs.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

It is possible to adapt the toolkit to boot a stock rom, but currently is not supported.

Alright thanks for the answer, it would be really EPIC if that was possible. but i would definitely push for it, maybe a dual boot with a stock kernel on both that would be modified of course

bbelos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2011
Chicago
So, I've been working on trying to port MIUI to the SGS3 using CMTeamEpic's CM9 build as my base. Considering the kernel will be unchanged, would I be able to boot the ported MIUI using these multiboot tools?

Yeah, I suppose if it's using the unchanged CM9 kernel, then I think a MIUI boot would work. Just have to be careful with your updater-script. Fakecwm looks for certain commands to make sure everything gets directed to the disk images. Use the CM9 updater script as a guide.

Also, are there plans to develop this to be able to multiboot multiple (>3) ROMs based on any kernel?

Alright thanks for the answer, it would be really EPIC if that was possible. but i would definitely push for it, maybe a dual boot with a stock kernel on both that would be modified of course

You can see from our Development Plan that we intend to provide a Stock Boot alternative once CM9 is further along in development. Alternate 3rd-party kernels need to have kexec support before they will work, but they will otherwise "flash" with the current toolkit provided the updater-script is using the correct command.

**Keep in mind though, that the toolkit is designed to work with the official CM9 update zips and the flashing of any other zips is at your own risk. Issues encountered with alternate zips should be taken up with the creator.

parkerrook

Aug 20, 2011
Overland Park, KS
I am really digging the dual boot! Especially for flash happy people such as myself. Many thanks and keep up the outstanding work!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
Increasingly useful tool: just used it to install JellyBean!

Although CM10 is not yet supported by DualBoot + FakeCWM, for those of you that may be interested, here is bbelos' link from the CM10 thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28906564&postcount=49

THNX again EPIC CM Team!

Can someone post the modified file for cm10 if it's not too much trouble. This stuff is really keeping me from my studies, lol. I'm going to bomb my exam will all this stuff to play with.

bbelos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2011
Chicago
Can someone post the modified file for cm10 if it's not too much trouble. This stuff is really keeping me from my studies, lol. I'm going to bomb my exam will all this stuff to play with.

My unofficial file and directions for a CM10 dual boot are here

EDIT: oops, already linked above.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: agrenwa

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
Gapps don't need modified. Want kind of issues are you having?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
they all FCd on boot and google now/search fc's everytime i open it. Probably issues with the others but i didn't bother to sign in to google with all the issues i was having.

jsmcmahon89

Jul 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21
they all FCd on boot and google now/search fc's everytime i open it. Probably issues with the others but i didn't bother to sign in to google with all the issues i was having.

I can 2nd this issue. Talk/Google Search/Play Movies and one other all forced close on the dual boot of this. I followed all instructions step by step. Also lost root. Hoping it was safe to flash teamepic root v5 in red cwm because it did the trick.. Just wondering what I need to do to get my gapps working properly. I miss Google Now :)

Edit: actually super user force closes on me :(

sonarchist

Mar 27, 2011
Washington, DC
You flash 'modified cm10' + standard gb GApps only in red FakeCWM, NOT root. Otherwise erratic behaviour like what you're describing. If you didn't modify cm10, don't use dualboot.

Try booting back to cwm5.5.0.4, then back to your stable ROM.

Delete your dualboot folder, then try again from a clean dualboot/fakeCWM flash for new images (then flash modified cm10.)

Last edited:

jsmcmahon89

Jul 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21
You flash modified cm10 + GApps only in red FakeCWM, NOT root. Otherwise erratic behaviour like what you're describing. If you didn't modify cm10, don't use dualboot.

Try booting back to cwm5.5.0.4, then back to your stable ROM.

Delete your dualboot folder, then try again from a clean dualboot/fakeCWM flash for new images (then flash modified cm10.)

I actually did all that. Flashing gapps is just not working as expected

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009

same here. i followed the directions correctly. all in fake cwm. maybe i should just retry, or just give up. i wasn't using it as a daily, but i kinda wanted to play with google now a little bit. As soon as this is more stable, ill boot it as my number 1 rom.

sonarchist

Mar 27, 2011
Washington, DC
same here. i followed the directions correctly. all in fake cwm. maybe i should just retry, or just give up. i wasn't using it as a daily, but i kinda wanted to play with google now a little bit. As soon as this is more stable, ill boot it as my number 1 rom.

Have you DL'd noobnl's updated CM10? Perhaps you have a bad GApps dl?

Were you able to get CM9 going using dualboot? Since jellybean is in initial stages w/ buggy behaviour + NOT supported by Dualboot/FakeCWM yet, I would try & see about getting a good solid CM9 going.........THEN grab some fresh DL's + go for the latest noobnl release.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

KBizzle

Oct 30, 2008
Knoxville
I can 2nd this issue. Talk/Google Search/Play Movies and one other all forced close on the dual boot of this. I followed all instructions step by step. Also lost root. Hoping it was safe to flash teamepic root v5 in red cwm because it did the trick.. Just wondering what I need to do to get my gapps working properly. I miss Google Now :)

Edit: actually super user force closes on me :(

I had these exact problems. I attributed it to running out of room in the created images for the dual boot. So I modified it to increase the partitions. Worked like a charm for me. Give me a min and I'll upload mine.

jsmcmahon89

Jul 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21
I had these exact problems. I attributed it to running out of room in the created images for the dual boot. So I modified it to increase the partitions. Worked like a charm for me. Give me a min and I'll upload mine.

Awesome, I started to figure that was the problem because everything works fine when not dualbooting. That would be greatly appreciated.

KBizzle

Oct 30, 2008
Knoxville
Awesome, I started to figure that was the problem because everything works fine when not dualbooting. That would be greatly appreciated.

Ok. Here is the download. http://d-h.st/r3Z

Same install instructions as the OP. I would start fresh by deleting the /multiboot folder from your internal sd card. I have also included the boot_cm10.zip for booting into the rom, into the zip. I havent tested that yet so if it doesnt install it to the cm9 folder, just pull it from the .zip and put into the /multiboot/cm9 folder. Ill keep checking back if you guys have questions.

The new image sizes are:
System - 600
Data - 700
Cache - 200

I was gonna try and create a triple boot but it didnt work. I had it create both a cm9 and a cm10 folder and put the necessary files in both but when it went to try and getting it to boot the cm10 rom, it wouldnt. I am assuming there are more things I needed to edit in the image files but I am not familiar with that yet.

mlin

Dec 27, 2007

That would explain why I've had no issues. My system, data, and cache are 800, 1000, and 500 respectively. For anyone interested in editing these in your own (its very simple and can be done on your phone), I posted instructions a page or two back.

Here actually:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28851179

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Link: Dualboot CM9-on-EMMC for Sprint SGS3

The CM developers are rapidly fixing bugs in the CM9 nightly builds, however it might be a while before CM9 is dependable as a daily driver. Thus Team Epic has created this toolkit of CM9-on-EMMC and FakeCWM to allow both developers and testers to rapidly test standard CM9 .zip's. The phone's standard ROM and kernel are intact so you have a stable ROM to fallback on.

• The alternate ROM is stored in /sdcard/multiboot/CM9 of the "internal sdcard" storage. Booting the alternate ROM is temporary. Reboot the phone to return to the standard ROM.
    • FakeCWM Recovery is used to install, upgrade, and manage CM9-on-EMMC.
    • If there is demand, we can adapt this CM9-on-EMMC method for other SGS3 LTE variants.
    Follow Sprint SGS3 CM on Google+ for the latest development news relevant to this phone.

Credits: mkasick and bbelos of Team Epic.
    If you appreciate this work, please consider supporting Team Epic!
    Has anyone had luck with CM10 dual boot and the latest CM10 build (8/12/12)?

I just went to full flash and not dual boot because I could not shake the boot loop. It kept kicking me back into Stock Rooted TW ROM.

Curious to know if there's still any development going on here.

Kernel changes in the 8/12 build required a slight modification to the boot zip. Grab boot_CM10-v2.zip.
    Is it time for bootCM_v4.zip already?

Looks like it. Try this one: boot_CM10-v4.zip for nightly 09/12.
    Updated the CM10 boot zip for 0906 nightly: boot_CM10-v3.zip

Yeah, I suppose if it's using the unchanged CM9 kernel, then I think a MIUI boot would work. Just have to be careful with your updater-script. Fakecwm looks for certain commands to make sure everything gets directed to the disk images. Use the CM9 updater script as a guide.

You can see from our Development Plan that we intend to provide a Stock Boot alternative once CM9 is further along in development. Alternate 3rd-party kernels need to have kexec support before they will work, but they will otherwise "flash" with the current toolkit provided the updater-script is using the correct command.

**Keep in mind though, that the toolkit is designed to work with the official CM9 update zips and the flashing of any other zips is at your own risk. Issues encountered with alternate zips should be taken up with the creator.