Bye bye grandfathered unlimited data

Search This thread

BleedsOrangeandBlue

Jul 10, 2011
Charleston, SC
I do not think the 3g 4g switch is an issue. I've gone back and forth between my 4G Bionic and my 3G D3 and not seen any changes to my plan. From what I understand, "data" is "data'. It doesn't matter if it's 3G or 4G plan-wise with Verizon.

I think I understand the source of the confusion...

I don't know if its still the case, but when the elimination of grandfathered data was announced one (perhaps implied) caveat was that it was if you were using your upgrade on a 3g phone that you wouldn't lose the plan. I don't know if it was officially stated or just sort of pitched that way, but here is an article I found:

"Verizon to drop unlimited data plans for upgrades from 3G to 4G LTE" (headline)

"Verizon Wireless announced Wednesday plans to drop their $30-a-month unlimited data plan for a tiered data model for customers who want to upgrade from the 3G network to 4G LTE."

"So when you think about our 3G base - a lot of our 3G base is unlimited - as they start to migrate into 4G, they will have to come off of unlimited and go into the data share plan."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_...ed-data-plans-for-upgrades-from-3g-to-4g-lte/

Verizon tech support tried to get me to come off unlimited yesterday. I laughed at them.

Last edited:

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
I do not think the 3g 4g switch is an issue. I've gone back and forth between my 4G Bionic and my 3G D3 and not seen any changes to my plan. From what I understand, "data" is "data'. It doesn't matter if it's 3G or 4G plan-wise with Verizon.

Crobs808 - You said "renew your contract". Buying a full price or used doesn't require a contract renewal. Buying a discounted/subsidized device does require contract renewal.

That's what I said. You can keep the $30 a month even when you renew as long as you pay full price for the device (or get your own from a 3rd party like eBay)

---------- Post added 14th July 2012 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 13th July 2012 at 11:58 PM ----------

What ics rom are you using? The one i tried wasn't stable enough to be my daily driver..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

I am running Liquid 1.5. Just make sure you've upgraded to the 6.7.232 leak first to get the updated radio files. Here's the process basically:

1. FXZ to .902 (be sure to use RSDLite v5.7, not 5.6)
  2. Upgrade to .905 (via that zip in stock recovery or via OTA)
  3. Upgrade to 6.7.232 (via that zip in stock recovery, can't OTA unless you want to hassle with the cheesecake app)
  4. Root with motofail-ICS
  5. Install Safestrap 2.0
  6. Reboot and toggle to safe system
  7. Install latest Liquid 1.5 zip)
Let me know if you have problems.

Last edited:

audiomixman

Feb 2, 2007
Maryland
That's what I said. You can keep the $30 a month even when you renew as long as you pay full price for the device (or get your own from a 3rd party like eBay)

It's the word "renew" that I'm getting hung up on. Customers will not be able to keep the $30 unlimited plan if they "renew" a contract. Buying a subsidized/discounted phone will "renew" the contract. Continuing to use a phone after a contract expires, paying full price for a new phone, or activating a used phone purchased elsewhere will not "renew" a contract. I'm well out of contract and have been month-to-month for years. Eventually every customer that wants to keep the $30 unlimited data plan will have to go month-to-month. It's not a big deal except for the fact that I fear sometime in the future this plan will eventually go away. However, I personally don't see these "shared" data plans as being very popular. For me it would not only limit my data, but raise my bill by $30-50/month for nothing. I, like most consumers, don't like to pay more for less. I hope Verizon finds shared to be a loser and goes back to a non-shared option.

Crobs: I think what I take "renew" to mean and what you take it to mean is different. To me, "renew" means to "renew a contract". We simply have a "communications" issue :)

M

ManOfBusiness

Wow can't believe im just now seeing this. From someone who uses close to 30GB a month between two phones, we'd be better off buying phones outright than upgrading and having to change plans. We have unlimited data, text, and 1400 min sharedRight at $200 which is perfect. I could easily see our plans jumping another $100 or more just from data usage, we use our phones as our home internet service as you can't beat the performance of verizons hotspot. Im talking 37ms ping while gaming!

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
It's the word "renew" that I'm getting hung up on. Customers will not be able to keep the $30 unlimited plan if they "renew" a contract.

Sure they will. "Renewal" does not have to be tied to getting a discounted phone. You can renew your contract and still pay full retail price for a phone. In fact, even when I buy my next device and pay full price for it I will STILL also renew my contract for another 2 years at that time.

The reason for doing this is to ensure that I keep the unlimited data for that full 2 yr period, in case Verizon changes their data policy again down the road. If you are month to month then you don't get that certainty -Verizon can make you dump unlimited data at the next billing cycle.

So for example, if I bought a new retail device now, in July 2012, and renewed my contract, I would be guaranteed to keep my unlimited data for $30 until at least July 2014. Even if VZW eliminated unlimited data sometime later this year or in 2013, I am still good for the full 2 years since the contract actually protects me in this case. See my point?

"Renewal" of contract is separate and apart from getting a discounted phone.

Sent from my XT875 using xda app-developers app

audiomixman

Feb 2, 2007
Maryland
It's been my experience that month-to-month is the way to go. I've been a VZW subscriber for, well, back when they were "Bell Atlantic NYNEX Mobile". I've never been forced to change anything on a plan unless I was going into a new contract. And I HATE contracts :)

Mig1234

Apr 2, 2011
Not really true

Went to Verizon store to ask about the plans. If you stay with your phone or buy one you stay garnfathered. If you get a new phone and sign a contract they will give you the new plan.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Went to Verizon store to ask about the plans. If you stay with your phone or buy one you stay garnfathered. If you get a new phone and sign a contract they will give you the new plan.

Right, so you can renew you plan, but buy you own phone elsewhere, keeping both $30 rate and security knowing it won't change. I used to be anti-contract, but this actually protects the user.

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
I don't think that's correct. There is absolutely no reason to renew a contract if you are not buying a subsidized phone anyway.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
I don't think that's correct. There is absolutely no reason to renew a contract if you are not buying a subsidized phone anyway.

Sure there is. Verizon will NEVER switch your service during your 2yr agreements unless you authorize them to. If you are off-contract then they only have to give you 30 days notice and can kill your unlimited data at any time. Carriers have no allegiance to monthly users, which is what you are even if you've been off-contract for a long time. I see no reason to take that risk since $30/mo is guaranteed not to change if I am on-contract.

I guess I just like the peace of mind. Plus since there's no network better than VZW then who cares about being on-contract? Think about it...if you've been off-contract with Verizon for a long the then what's the point? People always tell me..."Well I can switch at any time", but they NEVER switch even when customer service treats them bad or they have consistently bad signal strength, etc. So, if you're obviously keeping them and now that we understand the data details there's really no reason to switch.

Man, I really sound like I work for VZW but I don't. I'd be the first to switch if they ever forced contract customers off unlimited data. I'd even happily pay the ETF.

Last edited:

Baked-Potato

Oct 25, 2010
Pittsburgh
If you use a lot of data (like me) then your better off purchasing at retail. I use about 12 GB/month. For that amount of data on the new plans, that's $100/month which is $70 more than I pay now. Upgrades are 18 months apart so 70 * 18 = $1260. I could buy a new device every SIX months with my savings. Now even if I kept it to 10 GB/month which is $80/month which is $50/month more than I pay now. With the same 18 month span, I'd save $900 so after buying a new phone I'd be left with roughly $300 dollars.

Yeah it sucks you still have to dish out the extra few hundred bucks to keep your unlimited data, its worth it in the long run. If you save $55/month you can buy a new device every 12 months. If you save $37/month you can buy a new device every 18 months. If you can hold out for a new device every two years, its only $28/month.

amal67

Jul 15, 2012
I have had Verizon for over 10 years my parents longer then that I can find there old Verizon phones from the 90s it seems, and personally im just insulted the thousands we shell out to them every year. I upgraded last month to a phone that was free and came with gift cards and all that, and love my bionic my parents and brother however not as lucky so the Verizon reps will be hearing from me. It's a insulting move to their long time customers.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
I have had Verizon for over 10 years my parents longer then that I can find there old Verizon phones from the 90s it seems, and personally im just insulted the thousands we shell out to them every year. I upgraded last month to a phone that was free and came with gift cards and all that, and love my bionic my parents and brother however not as lucky so the Verizon reps will be hearing from me. It's a insulting move to their long time customers.

Then leave. Go to Sprint. It's a service just like any other. You are free to choose another provider.

I don't understand when ppl complain about things they can easily remedy.

lhkjohn

Aug 3, 2011
Orange County
Then leave. Go to Sprint. It's a service just like any other. You are free to choose another provider.

Cuz Sprint sucks! It's a legitimate gripe for people who only have Verizon working in their area. Personally, I'll never buy a subsidized phone from them again.

Tapatalkin' from my CM9'd Touchpad

Reactions: amal67

amal67

Jul 15, 2012
Im thinking that they should reward their long time customers I could leave but sprint does suck and the service is better at Verizon my answer is dont buy subsidized now

Last edited:

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
I guess I always looked at getting a phone for $200 vs $500 as a bonus, a perk really. I am happy with VZW's service and think $500 for a phone once every couple years is a small price to pay considering it's a product I use heavily everyday. Since it is clear now that you can keep unlimited data forever now then all this hype about shared plans can be ignored since I'll never be forced to do it (according to VZW).

Reactions: johnlgalt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your on xda, and still paying for the hotspot service? We're the reason Verizon started offering the tethering service in the first place once they realized we were already doing it for free.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA
    This is wrong. That is how it used to work before, now if you attempt to activate a new phone you will be forced to choose new plan options before they will activate it, regardless of where you got your phone. Welcome to the new Verizon.

Okay then. Debunk this article which contains an official statement from Verizon

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/1...d-data-says-exactly-what-we-already-told-you/
    What to do.... I don't think Sprint is an option. Go to AT&T? Is it worth paying list price just to keep unlimited data? Since I am not upgrading soon, I will have the benefit of lots of examples.

AT&T was the first to eliminate unlimited data. They are worse than Verizon. At one point in time, they had their phones locked to where you could only install apps from the android market. They stopped that when Amazon released their own app store and their users couldn't install the Amazon app store, or any of the apps from it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA
    For anyone wondering, here is some clarification for those of us grandfathered in on unlimited data. You can keep your data plan, even when you renew your contract, and you will still only pay $30 a month, but you just lose the ability to get a discount on phones (i.e. no more $599 phone for $199 at time of renewal). You just have to buy your own phone (Amazon, eBay, etc.) or buy from VZW at full retail cost.

Here's my chat log with the VZW rep from today (July 12, 2012):
    Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.
    You are now chatting with 'Kayla'
    Kayla: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
    You: I am grandfathered in on unlimited data. How long will that last? Will I be forced to switch to these terrible 'Share Everything' plans?
    Kayla: I'd be happy to assist you.
    Kayla: You will not be forced to switch to a share everything plan however if you wish to keep your unlimited data you will upgrade at full retail price.
    You: I am paying $30 a month. For the SAME usage I have now (4GB) does that mean it will cost ($110 just for data) 40+70?
    Kayla: Yes but that includes unlimited talk and text as well.
    You: Oh, I don't need that. I use less than my 700 minutes
    You: So, if I am paying $30 now for unlimited data, then how much will it cost when I have to renew my plan (to stay on unlimited)?
    Kayla: Your plan will stay the same you just have to pay full retail price for a new phone
    You: So we can keep unlimited for $30/month as long as I have service with Verizon, even into future renewals as long as I buy my own devices?
    Kayla: That's correct.
    You: Great, thanks for the information. I will save this conversation if that is OK with you.
    Kayla: Yes it certainly is.
    You: Thanks, have a good day.
    Kayla: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
    You: That's all.
    Kayla: Thank you for visiting Verizon Wireless; it’s been a pleasure chatting with you. Have a great day!
    Thank you for chatting with us, visit our Online Workshops to learn more about your devices. Click "End Chat" to tell us how we did today via our survey.

I may not switch to Sprint after all, it just depends on what kind of deal I can get on the phone I want when the time comes. I am very happy now that I have actual ICS on my Bionic though. Stable and everything works, so I think I'll be OK for a while now.

Cuz Sprint sucks! It's a legitimate gripe for people who only have Verizon working in their area. Personally, I'll never buy a subsidized phone from them again.

Tapatalkin' from my CM9'd Touchpad