FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] OTG USB webcam?

162 posts
Thanks Meter: 26

Post Reply Email Thread
I don't have a Nexus 7 yet but I was wondering if it is possible to use a webcam over OTG?
I've seen threads for the Xoom and Nexus S about it requiring modules added to the kernal
Has anyone tried/gotten a camera to work with their N7 yet? (If so, how?)

(I'd just like to know if it's possible)
22nd November 2012, 11:15 PM |#2  
Flag Chelmsford
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Question
Thread resurrection 'cause I haven't found an answer to this question either.
The Following User Says Thank You to ddlooping For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ddlooping Ad-Free
5th December 2012, 11:53 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlooping

Thread resurrection 'cause I haven't found an answer to this question either.

Found answer

watch?v=9-OUqr-w8YM
(new users cant post links, its youtube link)
I would be also interested in video recording...
It would make it perfect for have cheap stationary cameras and not have to have laptop to record them temporarily...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lamui For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lamui Ad-Free
5th December 2012, 12:19 PM |#4  
Flag Chelmsford

More
Thumbs up
That's good news, lamui, thanks.

Here's the video you linked to...

And if the following is possible, recording video from an external webcam must surely be too...

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Ok, it is undoubtedly possible.

Source code available on the following page:
http://brain.cc.kogakuin.ac.jp/research/usb-e.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ddlooping For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ddlooping Ad-Free
6th December 2012, 07:41 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
great.... how its working for nexus 7 ?
6th December 2012, 11:31 AM |#6  
Flag Chelmsford

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by agung_gitaris86

You know as much as I do.
The Following User Says Thank You to ddlooping For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ddlooping Ad-Free
14th December 2012, 02:35 PM |#7  
Flag Leuven
Thanks Meter: 218

More
Nice Thread! Stay Tuned!
16th December 2012, 01:33 AM |#8  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by agung_gitaris86

The author of the Nexus 7 USB Webcam blog entry mentioned above has compiled his SimpleWebCam code and you can download the app from his blog.

If you want to try it out, you will need to use a Linux UVC compatible webcamera.
Here is a webpage with a list of them - http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/#devices

Please post any comments on it here or at the author's BLOG.

We need to know the model of the camera you used, if it worked following the instructions at the blogsite.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to bigbop For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bigbop Ad-Free
21st December 2012, 10:06 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
OTG USB Webcam
I have tested the simplewebcam apk on the following

rooted Nexus 7 running 4.2 = works
unrooted Nexus 7 running 4.2.1 = works
unrooted Galaxy SIII running 4.1 = works

All tests used the SSK Driver-Free 1.3 Mega Pixel USB Webcam with Microphone & Clip - Black + Orange and the Creative Webcam nx Pro Vista / 7 ( I think both are knock-offs, I can not find model numbers). The SSK stated it was UVC compliant and the Creative box says “NO CD Driver”

I am interested in being able to record from the webcam or send the feed to other apps. I do not have the expertise to work the code to make this happen.
23rd December 2012, 05:26 PM |#10  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidoso

I have tested the simplewebcam apk on the following

rooted Nexus 7 running 4.2 = works
unrooted Nexus 7 running 4.2.1 = works
unrooted Galaxy SIII running 4.1 = works

All tests used the SSK Driver-Free 1.3 Mega Pixel USB Webcam with Microphone & Clip - Black + Orange and the Creative Webcam nx Pro Vista / 7 ( I think both are knock-offs, I can not find model numbers). The SSK stated it was UVC compliant and the Creative box says “NO CD Driver”

I am interested in being able to record from the webcam or send the feed to other apps. I do not have the expertise to work the code to make this happen.

It's easy to get the USB device info from the Windows Device Manager as follows:
- right click on "my computer" on the desktop
- select Device Manager
- Doubleclick Imaging Devices
- doubleclick on your camera device - it might just say "USB Video Device" or something like that
- select Details
- copy the VID and PID numbers: eg: USB\VID_1e4e&PID_0100$MI_\6&20BD946A&0&0000
- reference the VID and PID numbers on the http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/#devices website
NOTE - if it works but it's not on the list, it just might be newer than the info on the list - please submit it to the list's maintainer.
- DONE
The Following User Says Thank You to bigbop For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bigbop Ad-Free
24th December 2012, 06:52 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I meant that I would like to be able to record a USB UVC webcam on my Android device. I can do it on windows and Linux and can even do it on my Nexus 7 running Ubuntu. It seems that with the simplewebcam app that it would be possible to send the video to other apps or include a recorder function with this app.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
otg, webcam

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)