[How To]Replace Galaxy S3 Touchwiz Apps with Pure ICS Apps

Search This thread

Sgt.EddieWinslow

Oct 12, 2009
So after playing around with replacing stock apps, before reading this thread, I attempted swapping the Dialer and Contacts.apk and now I can't get the old ones to re install?

I have both the original SecPhone and SecContacts backed up

any suggestions with what I should do?

I think I might just re flash In Odin the Stock Image i used to root? Thinking that Might re install everything for me? I hope?

Kostazu

Jul 22, 2012
Try wiping app data for the email app, reboot and set up again.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using XDA Premium HD app

Great thread! I have managed to replace the E-mail/Exchange app with the stock ICS one however for some reason the Email icon is contantly showing 2 unread emails, eventhough there is none ... any idea?
I uninstalled the TW email/Exchange apps so I wonder why this unread count is showing up...

Seeing this 2 messages unread as well. Agree though, it's a minor annoyance and well worth getting stock ICS email back.

To the original poster, thanks much for this entire thread, it's awesome.

Dec 18, 2010
Toronto
Thanks. They don't seem to want to install though. The permissions are set correctly but I just get Not Installed.

Edit: Re-flashed to stock and got the email apps back. Surprisingly I didn't lose any data.

Last edited:

raw2000j

Aug 3, 2007
stock gs3 messaging app

The attached should be able to help you out.

I recently didnt back up my messaging app on my gs3 and i miss putting it in my ear while it dials person number I dont have the backup for the touchwiz messaging app do you or anyone have the apk or titanium backup file so I can restore it thanks

umpire7777777

Apr 30, 2007
EMail doesn't load entire message

I've installed this email client. I'm using it with an Exchange account only. When setting up the account, it doesn't ask what size of email to download.
The problem is that it doesn't show the entire email AND it doesn't show an option to "Download more" like the stock email app.

Hoe can I get the client to show the entire email?

mangobob

Jul 14, 2012
stock ics contacts and dialer on galaxy s3 touchwiz

I did the same thing except only for the contacts app, I didn't try replacing the dialer. I also couldn't get it to work so I uninstalled the ICS contacts app and restored the Touchwiz Contacts app from a Titanium backup and everything works fine.

If you made a nandroid backup before the operation then restore from it. If all else fails then reflash stock from Odin will work. Just remember to backup and restore all your current data.

So after playing around with replacing stock apps, before reading this thread, I attempted swapping the Dialer and Contacts.apk and now I can't get the old ones to re install?

I have both the original SecPhone and SecContacts backed up

any suggestions with what I should do?

I think I might just re flash In Odin the Stock Image i used to root? Thinking that Might re install everything for me? I hope?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread shows what AOSP (pure Google ICS) apps are safe to replace Touchwiz Apps with on your Galaxy S III to get that Nexus/CyanogenMod type pure ICS look and feel (see screenshots below). These have been tested with S-Voice and it is still able to open links and commands in the ICS apps.
    attachment.php

I am not responsible for any issues or problems with your phone. You are messing with System Apps. I highly recommend creating a Nandroid Backup before starting in case something goes wrong

Requirements

Steps
    1. Download the APK file you want (linked below)
    2. Uninstall the original Touchwiz application through Titanium Backup then reboot your phone. I recommend backing up applications before you uninstall just in case something goes wrong or you want to restore them.
    3. Open Root Explorer and navigate to your download folder under SD Card
    4. Long press on your downloaded APK file, select move and navigate to your System App folder.
    5. Select Mount R/W at the top of Root Explorer and touch Paste.
    6. Long press on the APK and set permissions to rw-r-r-- (See image at end of post.)
    7. Touch the moved APK file and install it. If you get an error message, make sure the Touchwiz Version of the app is uninstalled. Reboot, then try again.

Tested and confirmed to work

• Gallery
      • Update 6/24: Uninstalling the Touchwiz Gallery causes the Touchwiz Camera to force close after taking a picture and touching the thumbnail preview on the bottom right side. Workaround: Close the camera app and open the AOSP Gallery to preview the picture.
    • Browser (Must first uninstall the Touchwiz Browser. It is listed as "[BOOKMARKS] Internet 4.0.4-T999UVALEM" in Titanium Backup. Reboot. Then proceed to step 5.)
    • Calendar (Must first uninstall the Touchwiz Calendar. It is listed as "Calendar 4.0.4-T999UVALEM" in Titanium Backup. Reboot. Then Proceed to step 5)
      • Update 6/25: Make sure you uninstall only the Touchwiz Calendar (you can tell by the icon listed in Titanium Backup.) If you uninstall the one with the AOSP Calendar Icon you may lose Calendar Sync and S-Voice support for the Calendar.
    • Messaging (Must first uninstall the Touchwiz MMS App. It is called "[SMS/MMS Prefs] M... 4.0.4-T999UVALEM" in Titanium Backup. Reboot. Then Proceed to step 5.)
    • Calculator
    • Movie Studio
    • (Update 6/29) Email/Exchange (Must install both AOSP Email and Exchange APK's in order to work. In order to install you Must first uninstall the Touchwiz Email AND Exchange App in Titanium Backup. Reboot. Then Proceed to step 5. I was having issues connecting to Hotmail/MSN/Live account servers but had no issues with all others. May be temporary server issue. More testing needed.)

Tested but had issues

1. Clock/Alarm (Force closes upon reboot)
    2. Camera (Will not work. Thanks naturefreak85 for testing)

Still need to download and test
    • Phone/Dialer (isn't supposed to work due to Touchwiz frameworks)
    • Contacts (isn't supposed to work due to Touchwiz frameworks)

Grabbed from the Play Store

Having Issues?
    • Read the OP completely
    • Make sure permissions are set properly on the app you're trying to install. In Root Explorer, long press on the APK you're trying to install and set permissions. It should be set like this:
      attachment.php
    • Make sure the Touchwiz version of the app is uninstalled. Don't uninstall more than you need to (Calendar).
    • Reboot after making changes
    • Restore the original app using Titanium Backup or do a Nandroid restore if all else fails.

These files were pulled from various threads (like this & this) across XDA using the handy search tool. Credit goes to the community for providing instructions and files.
    So I'm a dummy and deleted my original TouchWiz email.apk and exchange.apk. Does anyone have a copy?

The attached should be able to help you out.
    Stock ICS, Jellybean apps

I compiled a list of Stock ICS, Jellybean apps available in Play store, check my signature.
    I did the calendar swap and my s voice doesn't work for some reason, also doesn't seem to sync with Google

GS3 T-Mobile

Well S-Voice is designed to work with the Samsung Apps so that makes sense. Honestly, with all my previous devices I've always been quick to get AOSP ROM's/Apps on my phone, but I'm thorougly impressed with this phone and its software, replacing most of these with pure ICS apps seems more of a downgrade if you ask me.
    See if this link helps. http://db.tt/BwbgVGf4

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app