Wind Mobile Galaxy S3 (T999) users UNITE

Search This thread

asaqwert

Apr 5, 2011
A while ago I was a part of the wind mobile optimus 2x (P999) users UNITE threads so to live on with the legacy I figured I would make a thread for the Wind Mobile Galaxy S3 users:

have fun ask questions, shoot the breeze, and just chill with your windy friends

Great idea... first question here... i have never rooted a phone or done anything like that to it... i've always wanted to get into it, but i just never could get up the nuts to do it. funny because i've messed with and modified every other electronic device and pre-android phone i've ever owned... just got scared with android, i guess partly because i cannot afford to have to buy another 700 dollar device...

anyways, i want to go ahead and root my sgs3 on wind mobile, but i have no idea how. can anyone point me to some help... i mean super basic noob help? like a walkthrough? i want to put on CM9 if i can, and whatever rom would be a good one for daily use... i don't really know what different roms are going to get me even, and honestly for the most part the phone works great, but there are a few minor things (like google wallet) that i want access to and can't have without rooting... so i figure i'll go for it

also, will it void my warranty to do this, or can i revert back to stock if i have a warranty issue and then take it in for replacement? thanks for any and all help!

zb123

Dec 19, 2010
hot temperature?

Are any of you guys noticing your Wind GS3 being very hot? My battery temperature is at about 35C to 40C after a few minutes browsing or playing games (though it's ~30C when it's not doing much). Feels reasonably uncomfortable to hold while it's hot ... Not sure if the phone is defective or if it's because Wind's (generally) weak signal strength forces the Radio/CPU to crank up a notch or two ...

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
I'll see if I can come up with something, but just wanted to say that I'm with Wind and I've been able to root it, flash the FreeGS3 (currently R3 right now) ROM and Trinity kernel. Also installed CPU Sleeper and other CPU apps. ~20 hours of battery life (since 7:30am), listened to music at work all day, played games on the train home, wi-fi on at home).

Also used Triangle Away to set the flash count back to 0 ;)

i find i get tons of battery life even with the stock rom and i'm very heavy user so its up to you i guess :p

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
Are any of you guys noticing your Wind GS3 being very hot? My battery temperature is at about 35C to 40C after a few minutes browsing or playing games (though it's ~30C when it's not doing much). Feels reasonably uncomfortable to hold while it's hot ... Not sure if the phone is defective or if it's because Wind's (generally) weak signal strength forces the Radio/CPU to crank up a notch or two ...

that is odd cause my phone sits in around 27 on average so its never hot to the touch so it might be a defect but i would go in and have that checked out in any case

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
Great idea... first question here... i have never rooted a phone or done anything like that to it... i've always wanted to get into it, but i just never could get up the nuts to do it. funny because i've messed with and modified every other electronic device and pre-android phone i've ever owned... just got scared with android, i guess partly because i cannot afford to have to buy another 700 dollar device...

anyways, i want to go ahead and root my sgs3 on wind mobile, but i have no idea how. can anyone point me to some help... i mean super basic noob help? like a walkthrough? i want to put on CM9 if i can, and whatever rom would be a good one for daily use... i don't really know what different roms are going to get me even, and honestly for the most part the phone works great, but there are a few minor things (like google wallet) that i want access to and can't have without rooting... so i figure i'll go for it

also, will it void my warranty to do this, or can i revert back to stock if i have a warranty issue and then take it in for replacement? thanks for any and all help!

and at last your question here i found a thread that will help you with everything so your not going on a mad man hunt for this information now you can pick whatever rom you want but they have a couple on here but ill have another link for some new roms that are more stable.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1723175

so here are a few roms that you can take a stab picking and choosing which you think would like best

CapRom Turbo | AROMA |
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1750221

TEAM SONIC'S FREEGS3 R4_U1
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1750270

and hopefully we will see CM9 show up a bit more soon but all I can find is nightlies for now but i'm sure as we pass a month of this phone being out we will see better roms come out with it :D.....was kinda hoping for hellfire to move on over but soon enough i'm sure cause he is a great dev for the G2X aka optimus 2x

but for now those are the 2 big ones that i can see and of course as the phone progresses it will get more roms that are better out there :D

Last edited:

asaqwert

Apr 5, 2011
ok, cool, i'm going to read through those links

in the mean time, can anyone point me in the direction of a page, or just explain it, that tells me what the hell a kernel does compared to a rom? what does each of them do, and what does changing each of them get me?

i'm super new to android and honestly, this is getting to be so much for me that i'm getting tempted to just say screw it and not risk messing up my phone that i bought out and paid 700 dollars for by the time i was said and done....

i really do want to get into modding it, but i'm not going to risk screwing it up completely if it's a significant risk, and if i can't get warranty coverage for it if i do mess it up...

any help on clearing up what a kernel does compared to a rom, etc, would be awesome

also what benefits does the FREESG3 rom give me? will i lose out on a lot of the cool stock samsung features? i know some of them are stupid, but i honestly like some of the other ones, like the stock calender and a few others....camera, i dunno what else but i know i like em. lots of the other samsung stuff is crap for sure, but i've dealt with it thus far. also, if i flash a new rom, will i lose all of my existing calender entries or can i back them up and restore them to the new (if it's new) calender in the new rom?

holy *phew* hope that relieves my n00bie question diarrhea for the next 3 minutes...

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
ok, cool, i'm going to read through those links

in the mean time, can anyone point me in the direction of a page, or just explain it, that tells me what the hell a kernel does compared to a rom? what does each of them do, and what does changing each of them get me?

i'm super new to android and honestly, this is getting to be so much for me that i'm getting tempted to just say screw it and not risk messing up my phone that i bought out and paid 700 dollars for by the time i was said and done....

i really do want to get into modding it, but i'm not going to risk screwing it up completely if it's a significant risk, and if i can't get warranty coverage for it if i do mess it up...

any help on clearing up what a kernel does compared to a rom, etc, would be awesome

also what benefits does the FREESG3 rom give me? will i lose out on a lot of the cool stock samsung features? i know some of them are stupid, but i honestly like some of the other ones, like the stock calender and a few others....camera, i dunno what else but i know i like em. lots of the other samsung stuff is crap for sure, but i've dealt with it thus far. also, if i flash a new rom, will i lose all of my existing calender entries or can i back them up and restore them to the new (if it's new) calender in the new rom?

holy *phew* hope that relieves my n00bie question diarrhea for the next 3 minutes...

okay for the most part the kernel doesn't matter most roms have their own kernels but some kernels will allow you to overclock your phone and yes you will lose you current calender entries and technically you will lose your warranty on your phone but the benifits are you can get much better battery life and speed out of your phone realistically but its all up to you on wether you decide to go through with it or not but i like what i got with the s3 personally optimus x2 i had to put custom roms on there cause without it my phone would be ****

asaqwert

Apr 5, 2011
okay for the most part the kernel doesn't matter most roms have their own kernels but some kernels will allow you to overclock your phone and yes you will lose you current calender entries and technically you will lose your warranty on your phone but the benifits are you can get much better battery life and speed out of your phone realistically but its all up to you on wether you decide to go through with it or not but i like what i got with the s3 personally optimus x2 i had to put custom roms on there cause without it my phone would be ****

ok cool thanks for the help here...

so as far as calender stuff.... can i back it up and restore it, or am i hooped and just stuck losing it? since i have my google stuff, shouldn't it back it up for me? i know when i went from my optimus 2x (un modded) to my sgs3 i just signed into google and everything showed up... won't happen here though or what?

also.....i've been reading about people having to install gapps (google apps i'm guessing?) separately? what's the deal there... do i have to do that? thanks

one other thing i forgot to ask... i've had a few people tell me that, being on wind, i cannot use tmo roms etc like i used to be able to on other phones (apparently) but now it looks like those links above are all tmo roms... i'm confused... am i boing to bork up my phone if i put tmo stuff on it, or no? thanks

Last edited:

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary

so as far as calender stuff.... can i back it up and restore it, or am i hooped and just stuck losing it? since i have my google stuff, shouldn't it back it up for me? i know when i went from my optimus 2x (un modded) to my sgs3 i just signed into google and everything showed up... won't happen here though or what?

also.....i've been reading about people having to install gapps (google apps i'm guessing?) separately? what's the deal there... do i have to do that? thanks

one other thing i forgot to ask... i've had a few people tell me that, being on wind, i cannot use tmo roms etc like i used to be able to on other phones (apparently) but now it looks like those links above are all tmo roms... i'm confused... am i boing to bork up my phone if i put tmo stuff on it, or no? thanks

well they said that it could cause issues but my old optimus 2x aka g2x worked fine with tmobile roms and btw GS3 is T999 where as the Canadian version is T999V and should have no issues from what i can see if im not mistaken the optimus 2x up here was P990DW where as the tmo version was T990 but the roms and everything were the same for both.

where as for the calendar its prob a loss and yes you install gapps separately but just follow the instruction and it will lead you through everything safely but here is another link just in case :D

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1775616

asaqwert

Apr 5, 2011
well they said that it could cause issues but my old optimus 2x aka g2x worked fine with tmobile roms and btw GS3 is T999 where as the Canadian version is T999V and should have no issues from what i can see if im not mistaken the optimus 2x up here was P990DW where as the tmo version was T990 but the roms and everything were the same for both.

where as for the calendar its prob a loss and yes you install gapps separately but just follow the instruction and it will lead you through everything safely but here is another link just in case :D

THAMKS MAN!!! YOU'VE BEEN THAMKED!

super appreciated

so has everyone on wind been just using tmo roms and kernels or what? any problems thus far?

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
Yes one of the other users I'm this thread uses it on his phone so you should be okay where as for me I haven't done anything yet since I actually don't mind the stock Rom unlike my experience with the optimus 2x

Sent from my SGH-T999V using xda app-developers app

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
464bf594-74c2-89d5.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999V

asaqwert

Apr 5, 2011
Awesome thanks very much guys did the help and advice. I've now got the trinity kernel running and love it getting better battery life and whatnot but it isn't appearing a night and day ndifferent

As for ROM s I'm still on stock and don't mind it to bad just want it debloated but otherwise it's alright

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A while ago I was a part of the wind mobile optimus 2x (P999) users UNITE threads so to live on with the legacy I figured I would make a thread for the Wind Mobile Galaxy S3 users:

have fun ask questions, shoot the breeze, and just chill with your windy friends
    Appreciate the help :). So now that radios are out of the question, what about the ROM?

Just fyi, I'm trying to help someone do I think the same thing but for Mobilicity here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2027661

Hasn't been solved yet but thought it may help you as well.
    I'm going to go ahead and try to put out recovery flashable Roms based from the T999V stock firmware. So if nothing else there will be that fairly soon. They'll be deodexed to in case anyone wants to theme or mod or do whstever you want to them.
    Hope some of you find them useful once done!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

I have put together a ROM based on the new Canadian JB release. I am not a real developer just sharing what I have put together for those that are interested. Tried to get most of the features from Frosty that I miss when we updated.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2060613
    Official T999V JB update

OFFICIAL Samsung rollout begins Fri, Dec 14, 2012 !!

twitter notifications:
    Samsung Mobile CA
    GALAXY S III owners! @Mobilicity, @Videotron & @WINDMobile will start receiving Jelly Bean on Fri. with a staggered rollout into next week!

Vidéotron
    La mise à jour Android 4.1.1 "Jelly Bean" du Samsung Galaxy S III sera disponible à partir de demain et sera déployée de façon progressive!