S-ON 1.15 HBOOT Dev Unlocked flashing help for kernels, roms and recovery & poll

Should this helpful post be a sticky considering all phones will be 1.15 HBOOT?

• Yes

Votes: 46 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
Flash img GUI works to flash the extracted boot.img from a rom or kernel boot.img.
Also supposed to flash a zimage as well but I have never tried.
Basically you need to extract the roms such as CM10 boot.img and flash it through this app then reboot to recovery and flash the cm10 rom.
Then to return to a sense rom you need to extract a boot.img from the sense rom and flash the boot.img. Then flash the whole rom in recovery. If anything happens that you can't boot a rom to use this app then fastboot is needed.
Flash img GUI is available here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28765269

You will need to do this if flashing cm10 or other non stock based rom and to go back to a stock based rom from a non stock based rom
Do the steps below before or after flashing the rom in recovery or you will not boot.
As kernels are starting to pop up I thought I would save some headaches. If you took the ota or on new hboot (1.15) and s-on you can't flash kernels through recovery. So try if you want but you'll most likely have to get a whole boot image and flash it via fastboot.
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere but have seen plenty of people not able to.flash kernels through recovery.

If your phone explodes or melts due to this tutorial its something you did and not me so only blame yourself.

If you are changing kernels it is a good idea to remove any CPU apps or scripts of the original setup. If not compatible settings they will cause issues. (Thanks to chriswbush)

How to flash a boot image if S-ON Dev Unlocked 1.15 HBOOT:

Download the attached adb.zip. It has the files needed to flash via fastboot. I am on XP with an X86 PC.

1.Extract zip to c:\ for ease of use.

2.Place boot.img you want to flash into the c:\adb folder.

3. Get into bootloader by power menu or press and hold the power button ONLY. This will eventually pop up the message that your phone is going to shut down in 3, 2, 1... (this is actually a simulated battery pull)
Once the screen goes black, let go of power
Press power and volume down, and in about 2-3 seconds the bootloader will appear.(courtesy if PillowMetal)

4.Connect your phone via USB and make sure your bootloader is in fastboot mode and says "FASTBOOT USB" after your connected. (HTC drivers are possibly needed but I never tried to do this pre-htc drivers installed)

5.Open command prompt by selecting run in start menu and typing
Code:
cmd
then click "OK" or by pressing windows key and R key then type
Code:
cmd
and then click "OK".

Couple of windows 7 shortcuts that can eliminate steps 5 and 6

When in the window explorerand folder you want a command prompt to be at shift-right click > open command prompt here ( thanks antp121)

On Windows 7 just open the start menu and directly type
Code:
cmd
in it or yet another further shortcut for Windows 7 that doesn't require you to "cd" to the folder. Navigate to the folder through Windows Explorer, and look at the top location/navigation bar. (Below)

o7m4bq.png

Click on the bar so the text is highlighted.

2nuj37o.png

Delete it, and instead put in "cmd" no quotes, and hit Enter.

30v22ag.png
(Thanks to LiquidSolstice)

6.When in command prompt type
Code:
cd c:\adb
and then press enter key. Should change to
Code:
c:\adb>

7.Type
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
and press enter key. Should run through a couple lines and show it was written successfully.

8.Reboot phone and shazam you have a new kernel.

If you have any issues with a kernel once installed it may be due to differences in ramdisks etc. Most sense roms run off stock boot.img best I can tell.

Remember you can revers this process by flashing the boot.img from the rom's zip that your running by using the exact same process.

Good luck and happy flashing.

Constructive criticism always welcome.

Other OS files and setup see here http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Fastboot
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

S-ON Dev Unlocked 1.15 HBOOT How to flash twrp recovery.img from fastboot or if unable to get into recovery or rooting fails

Go to http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/98 and download the openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.0-jewel.img to desktop and rename it "recovery.img" no quotes.

Download the attached adb.zip. It has the files needed to flash via fastboot. I am on XP with an X86 PC.

2.Place recovery.img you want to flash into the c:\adb folder.

3. Get into bootloader by power menu or press and hold the power button ONLY. This will eventually pop up the message that your phone is going to shut down in 3, 2, 1... (this is actually a simulated battery pull)
Press power and volume down, and in about 2-3 seconds the bootloader will appear.(courtesy if PillowMetal)

4.Connect your phone via USB and make sure your bootloader is in fastboot mode and says "FASTBOOT USB" after your connected. (HTC drivers are probably not needed but I never tried to do this pre-htc drivers installed)

Code:
cmd
Code:
cmd
and then click "OK".

When in the window explorerand folder you want a command prompt to be at shift-right click > open command prompt here ( thanks antp121)

Code:
cmd
in it or yet another further shortcut for Windows 7 that doesn't require you to "cd" to the folder. Navigate to the folder through Windows Explorer, and look at the top location/navigation bar. (Below)

o7m4bq.png

2nuj37o.png

30v22ag.png

Code:
no quotes and then press enter key. Should change to
Code:

7.Type
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
and press enter key. Should run through a couple lines and show it was written successfully.

8.On your phone select HBOOT and then Reboot Recovery.

Now you can flash a rooted rom if your rooting method failed and you will be rooted.

MAC AND LINUX USERS ONLY!
Here is an adb/fastboot install script for Mac/Linux might need to modify steps in this thread as needed depending on where the script installs them http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1617718

Attachments

• adb.zip
    421.3 KB · Views: 715
Last edited:

bog3nator

Dec 23, 2008
Lubbock
If your s-on and on the old h boot then your ok, and can still flash kernels from recovery

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

Reactions: motcher41

cherylbaker

Jan 21, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Okay so if I do the HTC Dev thing and unlock and root my phone and someone releases a kernel I want on my phone how does this post help me do that? I have not done the HTC thing was hoping for a fix to get soff since I knew we could not flash kernels.. But if I can flash stuff even with son and the update than I think I might just do it..

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
Okay so if I do the HTC Dev thing and unlock and root my phone and someone releases a kernel I want on my phone how does this post help me do that? I have not done the HTC thing was hoping for a fix to get soff since I knew we could not flash kernels.. But if I can flash stuff even with son and the update than I think I might just do it..<br />
<br />

It helps u to flash a kernel you want if u do those things. Can't flash radios though if you dev unlock etc

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
Yeah...people on old hboot can flash kernels s-on or off this is for people that one way or another have the new hboot...like the title says.

Changed the title to reflect hboot version this is for...

cherylbaker

Jan 21, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Ok so when they release a kernel they release this boot img you mentioned.. I do not think I have ever flashed a radio.. That is the actual phone part if the phone correct.. Does sprint release radio updates? If so what would happen in that case if one cannot flash a radio?

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
Ok so when they release a kernel they release this boot img you mentioned.. I do not think I have ever flashed a radio.. That is the actual phone part if the phone correct.. Does sprint release radio updates? If so what would happen in that case if one cannot flash a radio?

ruu might flash a radio update or an ota would but not in recovery. Most kernels I've seen thus far have a boot.img to flash

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
Idk i never tried it. Also say u flash a rom like cm or miui that won't boot unless you use that rooms kernel. Well u would need to restore a backup and then boot up and flash the kernel then reboot and flash the rom again.
Now imagine you flashed cm or miui and oh poop... I didn't flash the kernel in that app...then u pull up this trusty how to and see oh I can just fast boot it in like 10 seconds...shazam! Your done. Easy squeezey

kevinsturf

Feb 15, 2012
New York
Idk i never tried it. Also say u flash a rom like cm or miui that won't boot unless you use that rooms kernel. Well u would need to restore a backup and then boot up and flash the kernel then reboot and flash the rom again.
Now imagine you flashed cm or miui and oh poop... I didn't flash the kernel in that app...then u pull up this trusty how to and see oh I can just fast boot it in like 10 seconds...shazam! Your done. Easy squeezey

Is it okay to clarify something with you?

So what you're saying is if I took that OTA then htc unlocked and root with s-on. (following this HTC EVO Hacks ), I can flash a rom lets say CM10 by kushdeck by taking the boot.img from the files, flash that first using your method then go into recovery and flash the rom? Because I've been told that I can't flash cm10 unless I'm s-off and I can only flash sense base roms because they all have the same kernel. Is this correct?

Thank you

Reactions: chewboxa

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flash img GUI works to flash the extracted boot.img from a rom or kernel boot.img.
    Also supposed to flash a zimage as well but I have never tried.
    Basically you need to extract the roms such as CM10 boot.img and flash it through this app then reboot to recovery and flash the cm10 rom.
    Then to return to a sense rom you need to extract a boot.img from the sense rom and flash the boot.img. Then flash the whole rom in recovery. If anything happens that you can't boot a rom to use this app then fastboot is needed.
    Flash img GUI is available here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28765269

You will need to do this if flashing cm10 or other non stock based rom and to go back to a stock based rom from a non stock based rom
    Do the steps below before or after flashing the rom in recovery or you will not boot.
    As kernels are starting to pop up I thought I would save some headaches. If you took the ota or on new hboot (1.15) and s-on you can't flash kernels through recovery. So try if you want but you'll most likely have to get a whole boot image and flash it via fastboot.
    Didn't see this mentioned anywhere but have seen plenty of people not able to.flash kernels through recovery.

If your phone explodes or melts due to this tutorial its something you did and not me so only blame yourself.

If you are changing kernels it is a good idea to remove any CPU apps or scripts of the original setup. If not compatible settings they will cause issues. (Thanks to chriswbush)

How to flash a boot image if S-ON Dev Unlocked 1.15 HBOOT:

2.Place boot.img you want to flash into the c:\adb folder.

4.Connect your phone via USB and make sure your bootloader is in fastboot mode and says "FASTBOOT USB" after your connected. (HTC drivers are possibly needed but I never tried to do this pre-htc drivers installed)

Code:
    cmd
    Code:
    cmd
    and then click "OK".

Code:
    cmd

o7m4bq.png

2nuj37o.png

30v22ag.png

Code:
    and then press enter key. Should change to
    Code:

7.Type
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img

8.Reboot phone and shazam you have a new kernel.

If you have any issues with a kernel once installed it may be due to differences in ramdisks etc. Most sense roms run off stock boot.img best I can tell.

Remember you can revers this process by flashing the boot.img from the rom's zip that your running by using the exact same process.

Good luck and happy flashing.

Constructive criticism always welcome.

Other OS files and setup see here http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Fastboot
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

S-ON Dev Unlocked 1.15 HBOOT How to flash twrp recovery.img from fastboot or if unable to get into recovery or rooting fails

Go to http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/98 and download the openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.0-jewel.img to desktop and rename it "recovery.img" no quotes.

2.Place recovery.img you want to flash into the c:\adb folder.

4.Connect your phone via USB and make sure your bootloader is in fastboot mode and says "FASTBOOT USB" after your connected. (HTC drivers are probably not needed but I never tried to do this pre-htc drivers installed)

Code:
    cmd
    Code:
    cmd
    and then click "OK".

Code:
    cmd

o7m4bq.png

2nuj37o.png

30v22ag.png

Code:
    no quotes and then press enter key. Should change to
    Code:

7.Type
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

8.On your phone select HBOOT and then Reboot Recovery.

Now you can flash a rooted rom if your rooting method failed and you will be rooted.

MAC AND LINUX USERS ONLY!
    Here is an adb/fastboot install script for Mac/Linux might need to modify steps in this thread as needed depending on where the script installs them http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1617718
    ruu might flash a radio update or an ota would but not in recovery. Most kernels I've seen thus far have a boot.img to flash

All your statements are true... with a little clarification.

The RUU extracts a file into your temp directory called "rom.zip" (which can be flashed through the bootloader because its contents are signed) and contains all the firmware updates including "radio.img" and many others

The OTA (which is flashed through stock recovery) contains a "firmware.zip" embedded in it that contains "radio.img", and is flashed at the end of the updater-script through the command write_firmware_image("PACKAGE:firmware.zip", "zip"); So HTC has no problem flashing radio in recovery, albeit stock.

"boot.img" is by definition the kernel (and a portion of the bootloader - but not hboot). There is also the ramdisk that is part of the boot process but that is its own image "ramdisk.img"

So, if you were S-ON with hboot 1.12 and didn't or couldn't get S-OFF, but wanted all the additional firmware updates HTC released in 1.22.651.3 (like PRI, PRL that couldn't be flashed from recovery), you had to:

1) flash stock recovery
    2) relock the bootloader
    3) take the OTA update
    4) HTCdev unlock
    5) flash custom recovery
    6) flash su and busybox

Couldn't be easier right? This is why I chose to:

1) Achieve S-OFF
    2) RUU to 1.22.651.3
    3) Flash whatever I want (from bootloader or recovery)
    There's yet another further shortcut for Windows 7 that doesn't require you to "cd" to the folder. Navigate to the folder through Windows Explorer, and look at the top location/navigation bar. (Below)

o7m4bq.png

2nuj37o.png

30v22ag.png

Nifty, huh? ;)

Or shift-right click > open command prompt here lol

Sent from my aokp_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
    Ha ha.....not a cry for s off. I said stable aosp....not pre alpha or maybe alpha. Deck and toast are doing good but its still a ways off.

You doubt I have the right to care about something? I hope that's a type o.

I know you don't really need soff for most things hence this thread.....

I have been having issues since the update and my pre updated replacement that are just making me think twice..the new update rolling off...until whenever the source drops...2 to 4 months from then...it'll be the same old song and dance

And then to top it off HTC blocks the ability to ruu backwards...done with it.

Want Dev/user friendly? Go to Samsung. ;)

figured id throw this in here, samsung is the only manufacturer, in the top 3 (samsung, htc, and motorola) that seems to support their devs and the full definition of open software. htc used to care, but pretty much told the dev community to eff off, and motorola is (possibly) starting to care. so why would you stick with a phone that some 3rd party devs are working on, but htc could give a rat's ass about the phone and blocks every single way of doing this and that, or you can go to a truly open source phone where the company takes the input of the dev community to heart?

ps no offense to any of the evo 4g devs that may read this. i may not own the phone, but i fully, and utterly support your hard work that you have and will put into this phone & every other previous and future phone, so thank you guys!
    Is it okay to clarify something with you?

So what you're saying is if I took that OTA then htc unlocked and root with s-on. (following this HTC EVO Hacks ), I can flash a rom lets say CM10 by kushdeck by taking the boot.img from the files, flash that first using your method then go into recovery and flash the rom? Because I've been told that I can't flash cm10 unless I'm s-off and I can only flash sense base roms because they all have the same kernel. Is this correct?

Thank you

Exactly. Flash the boot.img via fastboot and then the rom in recovery; r the other way it doesn't matter which is first. It works just fine. I'm in the same boat as you. Whoever said you can't do cm10 without s-off is just plain wrong or being a jerk.
    The only thing you cannot do is flash a radio any way. That's it. So have fun and happy cm10ing