Samsung 4200mAh battery mod

Search This thread

s0me guy

Jul 6, 2012
Cleveland
this is a mod for using two OEM Samsung batteries together for a "real" 4200mAh extended battery. unlike most 3rd party batteries the OEM ones tend to be much closer to their rated tolerance voltages and mAh.

this thing is a BEAST! :)

DIY:

i am not responsible for any bad stuff that happens to you or your phone. im not right in the head, i have a modding sickness and i do crazy stuff to expencive things i have only owned for a few days. so folowing this DIY means your crazy too and dont care if your phone blows up in your pocket or whatever... :p

if you have never soldered anything before. just stop now... dont do this mod. :mad:

if you bridge the wrong contacts with solder your battery WILL catch on fire, melt and possibly explode. this is not a joke!

please dont post questions about asking how to solder etc. i will flat out ignore them as i dont want you to do this mod if you dont have exp in this dept.

also make sure BOTH batteries are charged up to at least 4.3v before even starting.

for ref:

battery 1 is the one closest to the phone
battery 2 is the one with NFC and furthest away from the phone

now for the directions...

if you dont care about NFC and just want the battery to work ignore everything below. just tape the batteries together and just solder the + & - contacts in parallel. bam! your done. :good:

for working NFC: :fingers-crossed:

1. remove silver outer sticker from both batteries & remove the NFC sticker from only battery 1 (not sure if removing the NFC sticker is 100% necessary but its what i did). then take the little black end caps with the water mark stickers off. you can just pry them off pretty easily.

c0077f70.jpg

2. tin the following contacts on each battery.

78a5d43e.jpg

3. tape off the following contacts on battery 1 only.

6e54a975.jpg

4. use a tiny bit of double sided tape to join the two batteries together. dont use too much tho, just in case you ever need to take them apart later. make sure the batteries are positioned correctly. you want battery 2 (with NFC) on the out side.

e456d638.jpg

5. use foil tape or copper tape to go over top of the tape you already put on battery 1and solder it to the parallel contacts on battery 2.

what your doing here is just telling the circuit to ignore battery 1's passive contacts for NFC and jump the circuit to battery 2 to power the NFC sticker.

97cd87e6.jpg

24d0854f.jpg

6. now solder the following contacts.

d9887bcd.jpg

7. tape the two batteries together so if you need to pull the battery the whole assembly will come out in one piece.

2c8bd027.jpg

8. tape off the exposed contacts just for safety sake.

3f10f7f5.jpg

Last edited:

ranchosteve

Feb 23, 2006
Los Angeles
That is awesome I have always wanted to try that. Do they book h charge in the phone via USB?

I have noticed that the cheapo honk Kong battery's are just 2 smaller battery's weird together.

I would think that OEM battery's would be great plus you still have nfc.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

Div033

Aug 17, 2010
Very impressive! I have my reservations about doing custom battery mods like that but it seems its really working out for you. Very nice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA App

jev3gs

Nov 15, 2008
Cary, IL
Nice! This is what I am going to do if the Hyperion battery doesn't work as advertised. It actually is pretty safe if it is wired correctly. Heck if I remember right Mugen or Seidio has even done it on some of their batteries so it has to be safe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

s0me guy

Jul 6, 2012
Cleveland
To be honest i don't use NFC. I don't even know what I can test it on.

i did intend to have it work thats why i disconnected the NFC on one of the batteries. i didnt want it to get confused . lol

Last edited:

s0me guy

Jul 6, 2012
Cleveland
end of first cycle:

moderate use over long day.... slept for 4 hrs (you can see it flatten out near the end) then i hit things pretty hard with web browsing for the last stretch.

about 1 hr of Power Amp, 2 hrs of pandora. 30min GPS. 30min of games, a bunch of random youtube searches in HD. always on 4G

no wifi, everything else on. no power saving. auto brightness.

this cycle didnt really sown the battries true colors. but after this cycle the calabration was much better and it shows in the following posts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-07-28-13-08-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-28-13-08-44.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 9,246
  • Screenshot_2012-07-28-13-08-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-28-13-08-50.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 8,811
  • Screenshot_2012-07-28-13-08-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-28-13-08-56.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 9,240
Last edited:
Reactions: Panamon

Novarider

Jul 20, 2010
How do your results compare to just one battery? There are people getting 4hours screen on with one battery.

You should plasti dip those exposed wires or something. If one breaks off because of a cold solder and shorts out it could start a fire. At the very least put some electrical tape on it.

G1_enthusiast

Oct 11, 2009
How do your results compare to just one battery? There are people getting 4hours screen on with one battery.

You should plasti dip those exposed wires or something. If one breaks off because of a cold solder and shorts out it could start a fire. At the very least put some electrical tape on it.

Good point...screen on time is not important as cpu max load. If your phone work ar max load it will die a lot quicker than screen on

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

ranchosteve

Feb 23, 2006
Los Angeles
Any update in your battery?

Would be possible to use a generic extended battery housing and swap out the battery's with Samsung ones?

s0me guy

Jul 6, 2012
Cleveland
Any update in your battery?

Would be possible to use a generic extended battery housing and swap out the battery's with Samsung ones?

nope. at least not with my Max power ones. i was going to try to use the same charging circuit board off the Max power batts but the samsung cells are bigger and dont fit inside the non-OEM case underneath the stickers.

however the battery door from my Max power batts does fit the phone with the modded Samsung 4200mAh if thats what your asking?

i actually haven't gone thru any full discharges other than the ones i posted due to a really busy work schedule. but i will update ASAP.

Reactions: ranchosteve

s0me guy

Jul 6, 2012
Cleveland
update:

25hrs off the charger. 3hrs screen time, played N64 emu for about 45min, poweramp for 2hrs, pandora for 1.5hrs, 30min of web browsing, 45 min of voice calls, etc...

all radios on except WiFi. been on 4G this whole time. no power saving, auto brightness.

still got 41% left. ;)

need to figure out what "Media server" is and why its taken more power than my browser... :confused:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-01-21-40-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-01-21-40-24.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 2,764
  • Screenshot_2012-08-01-21-40-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-01-21-40-34.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,676

s0me guy

Jul 6, 2012
Cleveland
Sweet, thanks.

Currently @ 6% and over 7hrs screen time. Ill prob be able to squeeze 36hrs out of thisbattery with no compromise on my usage. On heavy use days (more web and screen time) I'd surly be able to get a full 16-18 hrs of use.

Ill post screen shots when i get down to 1-2%

G1_enthusiast

Oct 11, 2009
Sweet, thanks.

Currently @ 6% and over 7hrs screen time. Ill prob be able to squeeze 36hrs out of thisbattery with no compromise on my usage. On heavy use days (more web and screen time) I'd surly be able to get a full 16-18 hrs of use.

Ill post screen shots when i get down to 1-2%

U need to post an extensive guide on how to do this.

s0me guy

Jul 6, 2012
Cleveland
U need to post an extensive guide on how to do this.

i will but im pretty sure NFC is not working right now. ill have to do some crazy soldering tricks to get it working. worst part is that it all will be off theory. as i still cant find a schematic.

-------------------------

Update:

i had it down to 4% and then i had to use my GPS for a longer period of time than the batt would last so to avoid taking screen shots and rebooting during my trip i had to just put it on the charger. but here are the screen shots. im pretty happy with the results.

mind you i would not consider this "heavy use" for my normal day to day. but the idea is accomplished. i have a battery that can last me 1 full day now matter how hard i beat on it. :victory:

all radios on (except WiFi) always on 4G, no power saving, auto brightness.

5hrs of pandora

3hrs of PowerAmp

1hr of N64oid

7hrs screen time

45min voice calls

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-02-16-26-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-02-16-26-30.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,263
  • Screenshot_2012-08-02-16-27-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-02-16-27-27.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 2,327
  • Screenshot_2012-08-02-16-26-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-02-16-26-38.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,256
  • Screenshot_2012-08-02-16-26-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-02-16-26-47.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 2,090
  • Screenshot_2012-08-02-16-27-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-02-16-27-03.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,957

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this is a mod for using two OEM Samsung batteries together for a "real" 4200mAh extended battery. unlike most 3rd party batteries the OEM ones tend to be much closer to their rated tolerance voltages and mAh.

this thing is a BEAST! :)

DIY:

i am not responsible for any bad stuff that happens to you or your phone. im not right in the head, i have a modding sickness and i do crazy stuff to expencive things i have only owned for a few days. so folowing this DIY means your crazy too and dont care if your phone blows up in your pocket or whatever... :p

if you have never soldered anything before. just stop now... dont do this mod. :mad:

if you bridge the wrong contacts with solder your battery WILL catch on fire, melt and possibly explode. this is not a joke!

please dont post questions about asking how to solder etc. i will flat out ignore them as i dont want you to do this mod if you dont have exp in this dept.

also make sure BOTH batteries are charged up to at least 4.3v before even starting.

for ref:

battery 1 is the one closest to the phone
    battery 2 is the one with NFC and furthest away from the phone

now for the directions...

if you dont care about NFC and just want the battery to work ignore everything below. just tape the batteries together and just solder the + & - contacts in parallel. bam! your done. :good:

for working NFC: :fingers-crossed:

1. remove silver outer sticker from both batteries & remove the NFC sticker from only battery 1 (not sure if removing the NFC sticker is 100% necessary but its what i did). then take the little black end caps with the water mark stickers off. you can just pry them off pretty easily.

c0077f70.jpg

2. tin the following contacts on each battery.

78a5d43e.jpg

3. tape off the following contacts on battery 1 only.

6e54a975.jpg

4. use a tiny bit of double sided tape to join the two batteries together. dont use too much tho, just in case you ever need to take them apart later. make sure the batteries are positioned correctly. you want battery 2 (with NFC) on the out side.

e456d638.jpg

5. use foil tape or copper tape to go over top of the tape you already put on battery 1and solder it to the parallel contacts on battery 2.

what your doing here is just telling the circuit to ignore battery 1's passive contacts for NFC and jump the circuit to battery 2 to power the NFC sticker.

97cd87e6.jpg

24d0854f.jpg

6. now solder the following contacts.

d9887bcd.jpg

7. tape the two batteries together so if you need to pull the battery the whole assembly will come out in one piece.

2c8bd027.jpg

8. tape off the exposed contacts just for safety sake.

3f10f7f5.jpg
    first 8hrs off the charger

no power saving stuff. no wifi, 2hrs of Pandora over Bluetooth.
    That's what I'm thinking.. just in parallel. And the Note 2 battery doesn't have NFC (NFC tag separate) so that makes it even easier.
    What about the center contact? Leave untouched I'm guessing?

8kpr.png

yea leave the center one alone. if im not mistaken this is the sensor contact. (batt temp ?) if you bridge that one it will mess up the value the phone reads.

the pos & neg are all you need to mess with. dont forget to have both batts fully charged before soldering. other wise they will be at different voltages and it will take many cycles before they equal out.
    first post updated with DIY. :victory: