FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

OTA Update available now with Android 4.0.4 & Sense 4.1, next Jelly Bean & Sense 4+ ?

465 posts
Thanks Meter: 58

By surfer1000, Senior Member on 18th June 2012, 11:16 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
30th July 2012, 11:34 PM |#901  
Flag Darlington
Thanks Meter: 318

More
Id say trust the HTC Elevate members who get the preview of the OTA and Football who I think knows someone at HTC so gets leaked info.

30th July 2012, 11:59 PM |#902  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 5,185

More
How the Sausage is Made
Let me share with you guys what goes in to developing and testing commercial s/w. I don’t know exactly how HTC approaches it but it’s a pretty standard process.

I’d guess there are different teams that work on different components of a ROM.

Plumbing– These are the nuts and bolts that support the OS calls and include things like drivers, low-level code, and the kernel. This team also liaises with third-parties like Nvidia.

Wireless - This include the radios; cellular, BT, GPS, and Wi-Fi.

Application Layer – This includes the OS, Sense 4.0, any HTC proprietary apps, bundled third-party apps (EG: Polaris) and the integration of things like the accessories (desk dock, car dock, Media Link HD).

So to release an update, multiple teams are working on various aspects of it at the same time. Each team tests their work but can only do so much with their individual pieces. As work is completed it’s glommed together in the form of a single ROM for the first time. That’s when internal testing begins in earnest. At the same time, the now complete ROM is placed in a version control system so all the teams are working on it together rather than focusing on their individual components.

Typically there’s a team of testers pulled from various departments in the company because you can’t have 10-30 people standing by to test full time because the work ebbs and flows. The test scripts that are followed are probably the size of a phone book. As issues are identified during internal testing the person overseeing testing tries to isolate it, logs it, and reports it to the team most likely responsible for resolving it. Each time a team or member of a team identifies and resolves an issue, depending on how core the issue is to the entire ROM, testing may have to start again from the very beginning of the script. This repeats dozens of times until the ROM passes internal testing cleanly.

Once internal testing’s complete testing is opened up to a broader user audience. Most likely having HTC employees and/or Elevate members starting to use the ROM on their personal devices. They provide feedback via a problem tracking system and the developers look for commonality in the problems reported and make changes to the code accordingly. If major issues are uncovered it’s back to square one which includes another full round of internal scripted testing followed by pushing the revised ROM out to the larger user group. This repeats until the ROM is deemed “acceptable.” Since no s/w is ever perfect, “acceptable” usually means shippable.

So the six-week old 2.05 test ROM passed internal testing and was distributed to a larger user group. Something must have been discovered that caused the developers to make some major changes. So it’s somewhere in the (re)testing process right now.

Like I said, this is the way s/w development is done. HTC may have their own unique spin but it’s not going to be much different than I described. So, while we want it now, we don’t always get what we want. And I’d personally rather wait until it’s done than have to suffer through some of the issues we all faced with the original shipped ROM. I'm guessing but the actual coding of an update could take anywhere from four to twelve weeks with testing always being as long (or longer) than coding. And based on the way this process works you can pretty much take as a given that JB isn’t “right around the corner.”

And that's how the sausage is made.
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BarryH_GEG Ad-Free
31st July 2012, 12:32 AM |#903  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 234

More
With majority of stock Rom holders are sick and tired of.that 3 dots bar....

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
31st July 2012, 04:09 AM |#904  
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 125

More
if i am using a custom rom then do i already have this update?
31st July 2012, 04:50 AM |#905  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadehh

I'm excited. Makes me wonder if I can leave my Jb rom

Which rom are you currently using?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
31st July 2012, 08:47 AM |#906  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Coming soon....! Mid July....! End of July...! Mid August now...! Typical HTC...!

31st July 2012, 08:54 AM |#907  
Thanks Meter: 1,121

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by okuda1971

Coming soon....! Mid July....! End of July...! Mid August now...! Typical HTC...!

HTC have never publicly mentioned a release date for this. I'm not even convinced they've ever publicly acknowledged it.
31st July 2012, 09:03 AM |#908  
Thanks Meter: 387

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

And based on the way this process works you can pretty much take as a given that JB isn’t “right around the corner.”

Froyo released by google may 10th 2010 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android...m)#Usage_share , fota update of desire to froyo starting from juli 29th 2012 http://www.androidworld.nl/35567/van...or-htc-desire/ or around 10wks after google's release, so it can be done more quickly. I don't remember any major bugs in the froyo update either....
31st July 2012, 09:24 AM |#909  
Recognized Contributor
Beirut
Thanks Meter: 27,133

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by godutch

Froyo released by google may 10th 2010 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android...m)#Usage_share , fota update of desire to froyo starting from juli 29th 2012 http://www.androidworld.nl/35567/van...or-htc-desire/ or around 10wks after google's release, so it can be done more quickly. I don't remember any major bugs in the froyo update either....

nexus one and desire were the exact same device, equally HTC got early access to the code due to being the builder of the Nexus One

not the case now, yes the Nexus 7 being a Tegra 3 is certainly to our benefirt, but the OS code was made available to HTC the date when Google made it available online

seriously guys sometimes you are acting spoiled, its not like Apple releases an update every day or samsung or even google! i wish so wish Google would listen to the complaints and updates the Nexus 7 with less washed out color calibration and give us landscape in the stock launcher, but its not happening is it

According to Elevate The Tegra 3 One X IS THE CURRENT FLAGSHIP and so HTC been aggressively updating the One X since release, i don't need to remind you the radio was just updated in 1.29.401.12
31st July 2012, 09:27 AM |#910  
Flag Durham, UK
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by debrancherenzym

Wont it effect the Warranty?

No as your are not unlocking the boot loader or using anything not made by htc you are fine. Just a way to get the update quicker than waiting for HTC to release it to your region.
31st July 2012, 10:27 AM |#911  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
For a company that makes and sells communication devices, there lack of communication is laughable lol

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread