DroidSans Tweak Tools Released : Enable Auto Rotate for your G1

Search This thread

npace

Nov 7, 2008
I know what you mean but if I wanna destroy another one phone using my app, I can post the fake source code and publish the another one, right? So it's all about the credit.

Search my name "Sittiphol Phanvilai" using google or any search engine and you will see who I am and how trust I am.

Cheers,

I wouldn't trust my mom's binary if it asks me for a root password.
If we have the source code, we can make sure it doesn't have bad stuff in it, and compile our own binaries.

Darkrift

Oct 5, 2006
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I agree that the source would be nice for an app that asks for root, but damn ppl. stop being so damned rude. "Source code please"??? At least make a full sentance out of it. The author has of yet not shown malicious intent, so give him the benefit of the doubt and ask with a little respect. If you do not want to use it, DONT. If he wants to release the code he will.

As a side note to the author. They are right (even if they are asking somewhat rudely) that the source code for this is probably needed to establish trust for the app. Yes you could switch it, but someone else could build the "fake" source and compare it. This app seems to have a lot of power once given root and could have a backdoor for later havok. Looks like a nice app, so I am hoping you do decide to release the source on it.

Last edited:

nuuneoi

Jul 9, 2007
Although this is not first time I feel bad from develop application and distribute it for free, but it's still bad feeling.

Please delete this thread. See you again when the next version that do not need root access finished.

Thanks and sorry for inconvenience,

Goodbye all

npace

Nov 7, 2008
I agree that the source would be nice for an app that asks for root, but damn ppl. stop being so damned rude. "Source code please"??? At least make a full sentance out of it. The author has of yet not shown malicious intent, so give him the benefit of the doubt and ask with a little respect. If you do not want to use it, DONT. If he wants to release the code he will.

You don't get it, do you? If I send you a .exe that asks you for your administrator password and tell you that it'll let you control your mouse cursor with your eyes, would you install it?

Darkrift

Oct 5, 2006
San Tan Valley, Arizona
No, because I wouldnt run an EXE seeing as im on linux and I hate wine. I know what im talking about, but that doesnt mean you just demand stuff from him and crucify him if he doesnt deliver. Ask nicely, if he says no, dont use it. No need to sit here complaining about it.

npace

Nov 7, 2008
No, because I wouldnt run an EXE seeing as im on linux and I hate wine. I know what im talking about, but that doesnt mean you just demand stuff from him and crucify him if he doesnt deliver. Ask nicely, if he says no, dont use it. No need to sit here complaining about it.

It's bad that it needs to run as root and no source available but I'll stop complaining. I'm treating it as a trojan.

Darkrift

Oct 5, 2006
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Can you do any of the features this asks for without root? Please show me, I know lots will love to find out how. We know this program will need root to do everything it does. That is not the arguement here. If you people will read instead, I AGREE that the source should be released, I just do not agree with how rudely it was DEMANDED nor the comments like "im treating it as a trojan". He wrote an app for you, probably didnt realise the security concern and you guys are being rediculous.

I do not see why any developer would want to release anything for people that act like that, source or not.

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
Ask nicely, if he says no, dont use it.

Yeah that was pretty much what I was going to do anyway. Bit disappointing to see so many users installing a binary (okay bytecode) blind without exercising due diligence. You don't realize how precious your data is until you've lost it because of poor security practices.

@nuuneoi: Sorry you decided to pull your product instead of releasing source code. I hope you will revisit the option of releasing code in the future, as the spirit of open source can only benefit the development community as a whole. Isn't that what Android is all about after all?

npace

Nov 7, 2008
Can you do any of the features this asks for without root? Please show me, I know lots will love to find out how. We know this program will need root to do everything it does. That is not the arguement here. If you people will read instead, I AGREE that the source should be released, I just do not agree with how rudely it was DEMANDED nor the comments like "im treating it as a trojan". He wrote an app for you, probably didnt realise the security concern and you guys are being rediculous.

I do not see why any developer would want to release anything for people that act like that, source or not.

Noone demanded the source code be released. Personally, I was giving some constructive criticism. Yeah, it wasn't all nice and fluff, but it wasn't too bad, either.
Maybe next time, the developer will keep that in mind and inform people the proper way instead of uploading an app that doesn't mention anything about running as superuser.

Darkrift

Oct 5, 2006
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Yeah that was pretty much what I was going to do anyway. Bit disappointing to see so many users installing a binary (okay bytecode) blind without exercising due diligence. You don't realize how precious your data is until you've lost it because of poor security practices.

@nuuneoi: Sorry you decided to pull your product instead of releasing source code. I hope you will revisit the option of releasing code in the future, as the spirit of open source can only benefit the development community as a whole. Isn't that what Android is all about after all?

finally someone willing to speak to the guy in a halfway decent manner. I also agree that users blindly installing applications like this is very STUPID. This is the reason most users should NOT have root. I wish tmo/google would release a safer root method that would give it when needed, but not like this.

parrothd

Nov 10, 2008
Man, you people are rude...

If he doesn't want to release the source code then don't install it.. Simple as that...Stop your whining...

haitiankid4lyf

May 25, 2008
anyone brave enough actually tried this??? and does it work?? ill be willing to be the guinea pig and try it if someone could just explain hot to remove and add the su password

Darkrift

Oct 5, 2006
San Tan Valley, Arizona
A Few ppl have tried it, and confirm that it works, but that is STILL not a good reason to use an app as root that you are unsure of. I would wait patiently while the author decides if he wants to release the source.

dwang

Nov 23, 2008
Thanks, it works great!

I would love to see the browser supported though.

Looking forward to your next release.

Ignore the haters. :)

nuuneoi

Jul 9, 2007

Honestly, I didn't care my source code that much. But the reason I didn't release source code is it is too dangerous. My source code patch the firmware binary directly. Although it's safe in my application because I work with Android source code quite for a long time but it will be not safe if the source code goes to public. My source code can be applied to create virus easily!

The method I used is quite new and I believe that not many guys know this trick. However, in my opinion it's a good news.

I'm developing new one that does not require root access. See you again that time then.

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
If he doesn't want to release the source code then don't install it.. Simple as that...Stop your whining...

In an ideal world everyone would either not install untrusted apps with root/admin (actually in an ideal world there would be no malware) or they would do so knowing fully well the risks involved. However this is not an ideal world and sooner or later some newb with modified RC30 is going to end up bricking his phone on a piece of malware and thats when the blame is going to start flying around.

To be perfectly honest if you were to weigh the hurt feelings of a few devs who refuse to release source against the fragile thing we've got going that is root on G1, i'd gladly pick the latter any day.

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
The method I used is quite new and I believe that not many guys know this trick. However, in my opinion it's a good news.

I'm developing new one that does not require root access. See you again that time then.

=O

Now i'd definitely like to see the source ^^. Well source or not I eagerly await your next offering.

npace

Nov 7, 2008
Honestly, I didn't care my source code that much. But the reason I didn't release source code is it is too dangerous. My source code patch the firmware binary directly. Although it's safe in my application because I work with Android source code quite for a long time but it will be not safe if the source code goes to public. My source code can be applied to create virus easily!

I'm sorry... I can't help it...
There's no need to modify any binaries in order to write an app that runs as superuser and you know it well. Whatever you are modifying, it's after you've gained root access. A "virus" can be written without modifying any binaries and without using your source code.
I'm not trying to be flaming here. You don't need an excuse to not post the source code but I'm not falling for the one you gavel.

dwang

Nov 23, 2008
Question, will enabling auto rotate cause any performance or battery issues with the g1?

Are you polling the accelerometer every couple of secs or are you using a different method?

Darkrift

Oct 5, 2006
San Tan Valley, Arizona

Um..... So you are saying everyone can trust you with their (expensive) device, but you cant trust them with the source.... I think you should reword that a little. I was hoping you were thinking against releasing the source for monetary reasons (which is your choice) but this reason is rediculous. Anyone here who knows how to make your code into a "virus" (erm, linux and virus do not mix very well) would know how to do it without your code.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I just finished beta version of tweak tools name DroidSans Tweak Tools. It provides some cool abilities, for example, Auto Rotate Screen, Reboot your Phone and etc.

droidsanstweaktools02.png

Please check this page for instructions and more information http://www.droidsans.com/droidsans-tweak-tools.

Please note that it works only on modified firmware G1.

Enjoy!

Sittiphol Phanvilai
    DroidSans.com