[DEV/WIP} Quest to enable "Roam Only" mode on the GS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DarkManX4lf

May 11, 2007
NYC
This would be sweet since roam control doesnt work. Trying to watch the olympic games on Sprints 3G network is just not happening lol.

Last edited:

zeron89

Aug 30, 2011
Pgh
I'm looking forward to this allot too since roam control isn't working, thanks for all your work you do Freeza! You're the man!

Sent from my SPH-L710

Reactions: freeza

evilvoice

May 4, 2008
Conyers GA
freeza, since MrGreg is the one who figured out the Roam Only hack waaay back on the HTC Hero, you may want to ask him for help. He was helping someone on these forums and on sdx to get it working on Samsung phones. Around the time it looked like they were finishing, the app Roam Control came out. I do not know if it is a necessity to have the app, but I could be wrong. I have done all the searching way back when my wife had the Samsung Moment. I commend you on trying this out and I wish you the best of luck if you want to do this by yourself, though I think you should try and get with MrGreg and see if he is willing to help get it working on Samsung devices. Yes, he is the one charging for Roam Control, but as Ive said before, he is really cool for leaving his initial instructions for the Hero up and not redacting them (though ever since he posted them, Ive had them in a txt file for safe keeping). I also suggest getting with MrGreg since it looked like they got it working for the Moment.

You seem to be the first person recently to put in work to getting a free option of Roam Only working for Samsung devices, and for that I applaud you. I hope you can figure it out. I know I couldn't and I went through every smali in the Samsung Moment apk.

Reactions: dtr145r and freeza

freeza

Recognized Developer
May 28, 2006
Pasadena, CA
www.freeza-inc.com
OnePlus 10 Pro
freeza, since MrGreg is the one who figured out the Roam Only hack waaay back on the HTC Hero, you may want to ask him for help. He was helping someone on these forums and on sdx to get it working on Samsung phones. Around the time it looked like they were finishing, the app Roam Control came out. I do not know if it is a necessity to have the app, but I could be wrong. I have done all the searching way back when my wife had the Samsung Moment. I commend you on trying this out and I wish you the best of luck if you want to do this by yourself, though I think you should try and get with MrGreg and see if he is willing to help get it working on Samsung devices. Yes, he is the one charging for Roam Control, but as Ive said before, he is really cool for leaving his initial instructions for the Hero up and not redacting them (though ever since he posted them, Ive had them in a txt file for safe keeping). I also suggest getting with MrGreg since it looked like they got it working for the Moment.

You seem to be the first person recently to put in work to getting a free option of Roam Only working for Samsung devices, and for that I applaud you. I hope you can figure it out. I know I couldn't and I went through every smali in the Samsung Moment apk.

Thank you for the advice. I would love to have any help from anyone willing, and I will definitely try and get in contact with MrGreg. As I dig through this smali code, as still sort of an amateur at this, it is starting to look more and more difficult. If Roam Control isn't even working for it, that gives me little hope that I will find out how to enable it with my limited experience. Thanks again though. Hopefully I can get somewhere with his (or someone else's) help!

evilvoice

May 4, 2008
Conyers GA
Yea, I know. Its mind-boggling looking at all the code and trying to figure out what does what. Looking through the work you talked about on the first page, it looks as though the S3 has another phone.apk which just adds to the problem of trying to find out where you want to be. I do know that in my attempts at getting it working on the Moment that some of the smali files didnt exist and the code is written differently. I never got to the point of actually flashing a file and trying it (wife would have killed me if she was left without a phone altogether). It does look like you are on the right path since the option shows up. Now you just have to find out in the smali where that option is referenced and tell it to do something else. I honestly do not think there is code to tell it to roam. As you said, it does not have the CDMARoaming...smali files (which is what I found on the Moment). It has to be in a "Roam" file, so these files look promising:
Roaming.smali
RoamingSettings.smali
Roaming$MyHandler.smali
I really know nothing about doing any of this, or I would try to help. I can tell you that you need to break away from trying to get things that match up on HTC (I only say that because that is how I attempted it, and it was wrong).

EDIT: Okay so I typed all that, im going to leave it for now. I had a thought, what if 0x1 is wrong? What if it is supposed to be 0x5 or something? We need to find cond_34 and see what options are available there. Or am I totally off base? I dont program, but usually code points somewhere. And it looks as it is running an if equals.
Code:
    if-eqz v2, :cond_34

const/4 v3, 0x2

if-eq v2, v3, :cond_34

const/4 v3, 0x3

const/4 v3, 0x4

if-ne v2, v3, :cond_54
shouldnt it be something like this?
Code:
    if-eq v2 v3, :cond_34

const/4 v3, 0x2

const/4 v3, 0x3

const/4 v3, 0x4

the first line has eqz and every line after has eq or is that just how smali is? also, the other 3 if statements reference v3, but the first does not???
Again, I am probably showing my stupidity, but I do not program, so could totally be off base.

freeza

Recognized Developer
May 28, 2006
Pasadena, CA
www.freeza-inc.com
OnePlus 10 Pro
Yea, I know. Its mind-boggling looking at all the code and trying to figure out what does what. Looking through the work you talked about on the first page, it looks as though the S3 has another phone.apk which just adds to the problem of trying to find out where you want to be. I do know that in my attempts at getting it working on the Moment that some of the smali files didnt exist and the code is written differently. I never got to the point of actually flashing a file and trying it (wife would have killed me if she was left without a phone altogether). It does look like you are on the right path since the option shows up. Now you just have to find out in the smali where that option is referenced and tell it to do something else. I honestly do not think there is code to tell it to roam. As you said, it does not have the CDMARoaming...smali files (which is what I found on the Moment). It has to be in a "Roam" file, so these files look promising:
Roaming.smali
RoamingSettings.smali
Roaming$MyHandler.smali
I really know nothing about doing any of this, or I would try to help. I can tell you that you need to break away from trying to get things that match up on HTC (I only say that because that is how I attempted it, and it was wrong).

EDIT: Okay so I typed all that, im going to leave it for now. I had a thought, what if 0x1 is wrong? What if it is supposed to be 0x5 or something? We need to find cond_34 and see what options are available there. Or am I totally off base? I dont program, but usually code points somewhere. And it looks as it is running an if equals.
Code:
    if-eqz v2, :cond_34

const/4 v3, 0x2

const/4 v3, 0x3

const/4 v3, 0x4

shouldnt it be something like this?
Code:
    if-eq v2 v3, :cond_34

const/4 v3, 0x2

const/4 v3, 0x3

const/4 v3, 0x4

the first line has eqz and every line after has eq or is that just how smali is? also, the other 3 if statements reference v3, but the first does not???
Again, I am probably showing my stupidity, but I do not program, so could totally be off base.

Perceptive! I was looking at that as well, but didn't know what I should do with it. I am going to try exactly what you posted and see what happens. I found out fairly early in this quest not to bother trying to match up with HTC. But I was hoping that it would be as simple as it was on HTC phones, but it doesn't appear to be that way. Ugh. I do appreciate your input. It's ideas like this we need more of! Thanks a lot man!

Reactions: Bactine and dtr145r

Jimieo

May 24, 2009
New London, CT
This works out well in my head, but most things do even when they fail later on, but if you are doing all of this searching in the SGSIII phone apk file, perhaps there would be better luck using the phone apk from CM9 maybe.

I have no idea.

Bactine

Oct 7, 2011
Thank you for putting the effort in to try and figure this out! When I had my palm pre the roam only patch saved me so many times.

If you need any help as far as testing I'd be more than happy to

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

burghfan3

Jun 13, 2012
I appreciate the time and effort that you are putting into this. I know some people only want it to get booted off of Sprint, but I actually need it when I visit my mommy lol Keep up the good work. We all have faith in you

Sent from my Vaelpak Powered OG EVO

LouRock

Apr 12, 2011
Boston MA\San Juan PR
I wish I had the knowledge to help and contribute on this great mod! Thank you freeza for your endless pursuit on making our devices more awesome! :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wellllllll, so far I have got to the point where the option shows up--which I suppose isn't very difficult for anyone to do at all. But I've also made all of the smali edits that would have made this work on an HTC phone. In fact, it did work on the EVO LTE, except on the GS3 it doesn't. This leads me to believe that I'm either in a file that doesn't get noticed by the system, or the values I'm changing are wrong.

Maybe one of you very talented developers on XDA can lend a hand so we can all benefit from this much needed feature.

roamingtest.png
    still trying some methods. all of which are failing lol
    Still working on this a little bit every day. As I gain more knowledge about smali, I'll figure it out.....hopefully.

Right now, my Phone.apk doesn't force close when switching to roaming only like it did before, but as of now nothing happens.
    here's the long way to force roaming. connect phone to QXDM. Send SPC. Open NV Browser. Scroll to item 00442. Hit the "Read" button. QXDM will show 0x0001 or 0x00ff.

ff is "automatic" and 01 is "home only". Write 0x0002 and reboot. You will be roaming when the phone comes back on.

We need a way to write the 0x0002 without QXDM ;)

is there anything in the roaming code that has it writing ff or 01? could we switch ff to 02? then instead of automatic it writes roaming? prob crazy talk. :eek:
    Thread cleaned

The childish bickering needs to stop. Post relevant information, or don't post at all.