FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How do Internet Speed and connectivity relate?

256 posts
Thanks Meter: 46

By Timoooo, Senior Member on 30th July 2012, 02:16 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I mean.. Sometimes I have 4 bars(eg basically in every subway station there is) and sometimes only get edge speed, and sometimes I only have 1 or 2 bars and get hsdpa(in my apartment for example)
Shouldn't I have hsdpa when I habe 4 bars, 3g when 3 bars, edge when 2 and gprs when 1? I mean that would be the logical conclusion, wouldn't it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

4th August 2012, 06:24 AM |#2  
Flag Seoul
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Speed and Connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoooo

I mean.. Sometimes I have 4 bars(eg basically in every subway station there is) and sometimes only get edge speed, and sometimes I only have 1 or 2 bars and get hsdpa(in my apartment for example)
Shouldn't I have hsdpa when I habe 4 bars, 3g when 3 bars, edge when 2 and gprs when 1? I mean that would be the logical conclusion, wouldn't it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

I think the bars just show you your signal strength. It might be great in the subway station, but you're sharing the base station with a gazillion other commuters. You're also probably getting nasties like multipath effects. So slow speed. On the other hand, the base station you're getting in your apartment may be further away, but you may not be sharing it with so many others. But if you are after more detail, you're probably better off asking in a comms forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to urilabob For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift urilabob Ad-Free
4th August 2012, 06:27 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
I believe bars is signal strength, not what type of signal. That would depend on what tower you are connected to. And there are many reasons your speed on a fast connection would be slow with a strong 4g signal, like explained above.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)