[MOD] 15 Toggles in ICS blue for the VZW S3 and Tether Bypass *UPDATE 8/12*

Search This thread

electron73

Mar 17, 2007
Vegas, baby!
Hey guys,

I just successfully ported the 15 toggle mod with blue toggles and blue battery icon to the VZ S3 (Deodexed VRLF2 ROM).

I did this before on the NOTE, so now for the Verizon S3 VRLF2 and VRLG1 based ROMs I present: My "official" port with brightness slider,
painstakingly "transplanted" from an existing version I found for the I9300 into the SynergyRom for I535.
This should work with all deodexed VRLF2/VRLG1 ROMs though!

Update 8/12:

Toggles with theming for SynergyROM 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 (SystemUI was unchanged between these three ROMs):
http://electron73.org/XDA/S3/synergy17/Electron_Toggles_4_Synergy.zip

Wifi tether entitlement check bypass for SynergyROM 1.6:
http://electron73.org/XDA/S3/synergy16/Electron_Tethering_4_Synergy16.zip

Wifi tether entitlement check bypass for SynergyROM 1.7:
http://electron73.org/XDA/S3/synergy17/Electron_Tethering_4_Synergy17.zip

The tethering bypass completely removes the entitlement check from the built in stock WIFI hotspot feature, so it can be used freely via the regular menu switch (usually pops up a message asking for separate subscription) or the blue 15 toggle WIFI AP switch. No more need to use a separate
app for the hotspot. I always found the internal one more stable and turns on/off faster.
Newest version also completely deletes the SPG.apk which is responsible for the entitlement check and tethering management.
So I would assume (NO guarantees, of course!) that this is the best way to tether without VZ knowing.
My personal advice, especially for unlimited plans: Use occasionally and in moderation or pay for the official feature!

As always: Flash at your own risk! IF you like it, PLEASE massage that THANKS button for me :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached is a screenshot of the result on my phone.
2012-08-12%2017.50.29.png

The following steps I found out by doing file comparisons between a modded and an unmodded SystemUI, so here is what I found in hopes of being helpful to anyone interested in porting or transplanting the toggle mod the way I did. I later found out there is an existing guide by wanam here.

The Toggle-Mod explained - How to transplant the toggled from a (foreign) ROM or add-on ZIP (containing a SystemUI.apk) to YOUR ROM:

Using apktool I decompiled both my SystemUI.apk and the one from AndroidGX in the I9300 forum.

1) Copy the entire smali/com/wanam folder over. It contains all the scripts for the toggles. We need those.

2) Open res/values/ids.xml and add as the last line before the closing tag:
Code:
<item type="id" name="exp_power_stat">false</item>

3) Open res/values/public.xml and add as last line before closing tag:
Code:
<public type="id" name="exp_power_stat" id="0x7f0f00d9" />

4) Open res/layout/tw_status_bar_expanded.xml and change
Code:
    <HorizontalScrollView android:id="@id/quicksetting_scroller" android:scrollbars="none" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content"
to:
Code:
    <com.wanam.systemui.quickpanel.PowerWidget android:id="@id/exp_power_stat" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="wrap_content" />
    <HorizontalScrollView android:id="@id/quicksetting_scroller" android:visibility="gone" android:scrollbars="none" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content"

Also in this same file the brightness slider can be turned on by removing the android:visibility="gone" from the following line:
Code:
            <LinearLayout android:orientation="horizontal" android:focusable="true" android:visibility="gone" android:clickable="true" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="56.0dip">

5) Now comes the trickiest part, editing the SMALI code for the statusbar. It can be found at smali/com/android/systemui/statusbar/phone/PhoneStatusBar.smali.
Describing the exact edits (inserts) here would turn this into a monster, so I attached a ZIP with the PhoneStatusBar.smali BEFORE and AFTER. Feel free to use TotalCommander or any other file compare tool to see what was inserted where. All I had to do was insert code in the right spots. Nothing needs to be deleted.

6) With all the changes in place, I used APKTOOL again to compile the whole thing and then used zipalign on the resulting file to get a nice, zipaligned, distributable SystemUI.apk.

ZIP files that install everything along with the other needed parts (lidroid.res and QuickPanelSettings.apk) can be found everywhere, so I just took one of these and dropped my SystemUI.apk in there.

Well.. I hope this information was helpful and can be used by more devs to offer this great mod in their ROMs :)

Credits go to:
lidroid, wanam for the original toggle code and AndroidGX for the i9300 version

Attachments

• PhoneStatusBar.zip
    56.2 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Jay Evans

May 17, 2011
York, PA
Great! Precisely what I was looking for. Love the Torch and Brightness

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012
Ok, this is sick. Even killed the GPS Crosshairs.

Bonus!

And I can't believe I am saying this, but I was jealous of an employee who had a GS3 on US cellular because they have the brightness slider stock.

Thanks, OP!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

GrainOsand

Jan 5, 2011
Nice work I'm going to *******ize this and add it to my theme if you don't mind. With full credit to you of course.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
just a heads up, this borked my notification pull down menu, running beans build 5. I know the op said it was for vrlf2, but I had to try lol.

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012
Another bonus to this mod:

Makes BT auto connect.

This mod made my day...

BKinney

Feb 24, 2011
Yeah it totally got rid of my pull down on stock.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

dvaderx

Oct 19, 2010
Love the mod. What does the lock button do? Nothing seems to happen when i press it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

I just successfully ported the 15 toggle mod with blue toggles and blue battery icon to the VZ S3 (Deodexed VRLF2 ROM).

I did this before on the NOTE, so now for the Verizon S3 VRLF2 and VRLG1 based ROMs I present: My "official" port with brightness slider,
    painstakingly "transplanted" from an existing version I found for the I9300 into the SynergyRom for I535.
    This should work with all deodexed VRLF2/VRLG1 ROMs though!

Update 8/12:

Toggles with theming for SynergyROM 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 (SystemUI was unchanged between these three ROMs):
    http://electron73.org/XDA/S3/synergy17/Electron_Toggles_4_Synergy.zip

Wifi tether entitlement check bypass for SynergyROM 1.6:
    http://electron73.org/XDA/S3/synergy16/Electron_Tethering_4_Synergy16.zip

Wifi tether entitlement check bypass for SynergyROM 1.7:
    http://electron73.org/XDA/S3/synergy17/Electron_Tethering_4_Synergy17.zip

The tethering bypass completely removes the entitlement check from the built in stock WIFI hotspot feature, so it can be used freely via the regular menu switch (usually pops up a message asking for separate subscription) or the blue 15 toggle WIFI AP switch. No more need to use a separate
    app for the hotspot. I always found the internal one more stable and turns on/off faster.
    Newest version also completely deletes the SPG.apk which is responsible for the entitlement check and tethering management.
    So I would assume (NO guarantees, of course!) that this is the best way to tether without VZ knowing.
    My personal advice, especially for unlimited plans: Use occasionally and in moderation or pay for the official feature!

As always: Flash at your own risk! IF you like it, PLEASE massage that THANKS button for me :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached is a screenshot of the result on my phone.
    2012-08-12%2017.50.29.png

The following steps I found out by doing file comparisons between a modded and an unmodded SystemUI, so here is what I found in hopes of being helpful to anyone interested in porting or transplanting the toggle mod the way I did. I later found out there is an existing guide by wanam here.

The Toggle-Mod explained - How to transplant the toggled from a (foreign) ROM or add-on ZIP (containing a SystemUI.apk) to YOUR ROM:

Using apktool I decompiled both my SystemUI.apk and the one from AndroidGX in the I9300 forum.

1) Copy the entire smali/com/wanam folder over. It contains all the scripts for the toggles. We need those.

2) Open res/values/ids.xml and add as the last line before the closing tag:
    Code:
    <item type="id" name="exp_power_stat">false</item>

3) Open res/values/public.xml and add as last line before closing tag:
    Code:
    <public type="id" name="exp_power_stat" id="0x7f0f00d9" />

4) Open res/layout/tw_status_bar_expanded.xml and change
    Code:
        <HorizontalScrollView android:id="@id/quicksetting_scroller" android:scrollbars="none" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content"
    to:
    Code:
        <com.wanam.systemui.quickpanel.PowerWidget android:id="@id/exp_power_stat" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="wrap_content" />
        <HorizontalScrollView android:id="@id/quicksetting_scroller" android:visibility="gone" android:scrollbars="none" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content"

Also in this same file the brightness slider can be turned on by removing the android:visibility="gone" from the following line:
    Code:
                <LinearLayout android:orientation="horizontal" android:focusable="true" android:visibility="gone" android:clickable="true" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="56.0dip">

5) Now comes the trickiest part, editing the SMALI code for the statusbar. It can be found at smali/com/android/systemui/statusbar/phone/PhoneStatusBar.smali.
    Describing the exact edits (inserts) here would turn this into a monster, so I attached a ZIP with the PhoneStatusBar.smali BEFORE and AFTER. Feel free to use TotalCommander or any other file compare tool to see what was inserted where. All I had to do was insert code in the right spots. Nothing needs to be deleted.

6) With all the changes in place, I used APKTOOL again to compile the whole thing and then used zipalign on the resulting file to get a nice, zipaligned, distributable SystemUI.apk.

ZIP files that install everything along with the other needed parts (lidroid.res and QuickPanelSettings.apk) can be found everywhere, so I just took one of these and dropped my SystemUI.apk in there.

Well.. I hope this information was helpful and can be used by more devs to offer this great mod in their ROMs :)

Credits go to:
    lidroid, wanam for the original toggle code and AndroidGX for the i9300 version
    OK! ENOUGH!
    Credits were given...drop it!
    I have made my own ROM and realize how tough it is (for some) to sit there staring at code, cutting and pasting mods that are provided by awesome devs for those of us less capable. Not always is it evident in the How-to's all the people that need to be thanked. Most assume thanking the person giving the How-to would be sufficient, AS LONG AS a link to the how-to is provided because I am sure in there is the rest of the devs that need to be thanked. A simple error that the OP corrected. People want to say all he did was this...well he is the one that did it and people are grateful. Instead of *****ing about it in a public forum GO...DO! Get all these great mods available for all to use. Porting has been done here on XDA from the first creation of winzip. It is also not users job to police the threads, it is the moderators. PM the OP and point out where he needs to credit or post links. How selfish of you to crowd a forum with all this BS when users are trying to enjoy their devices. PM, Report, ask a mod for help, but keep it out of the forums
    Thank you for your cooperation
    Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
    First off rehpc thanks for posting all the sources/how-tos regarding this mod. Second, please take this bickering elsewhere. Your point was made you think electron should have gave more credit in OP and seems like that was corrected. He obviously gave some credit but not to everyone from XDA involved with the work. Don't see anything malicous or him trying to make it seem like he did everything himself.

There was work involved in packaging it and bringing it to the SCH-I535 and this is the first of it's kind to be ported over that I've seen at least.
    Ok guys, OP was updated with the latest versions for Synergy 1.7. Also added the native tethering hack in here, since that hasn't made it into the ROM by default yet. The tethering bypass completely removes the entitlement check from the built in stock WIFI hotspot feature, so it can be used freely via the regular menu switch (usually pops up a message asking for separate subscription) or the blue 15 toggle WIFI AP switch. Newest version also completely deletes the SPG.apk which is responsible for the entitlement check and tethering management.

Cheers !!
    Has any brave soul tried this on stock? :-\

I'm stock. Works perfectly.