[MOD / HACK] - Fully enable native wifi hotspot AND native Bluetooth tethering

Search This thread

Joe777G

Jun 25, 2010
Are there any plans to port this mod to the recently leaked I747UCALH1? This leak now includes the AllShare Cast option under "More Settings" and allows the phone to use the upcoming wifi hdmi adapter. I'd love to have AllShare Cast and tethering on my phone. If there is a diff file(s) of the changes/patches made for the tethering mod I'd be glad to attempt porting the mod myself this coming weekend. I've done haptic feedback patches for i9000 ports to the captivate before and don't imagine this should be much harder given the diffs of the hack on the original mod.

DamnCampers

Jul 29, 2010
Please forgive the semi off-topic nature of this, just trying to shine some light on this subject.

I don't know for sure, because I haven't tried it, but it may depend on how you do the USB tethering. ClockworkMod Tether claims to be undetectable and I haven't heard of anybody getting caught while using it. On the other hand, lots of people have gotten caught using wireless tethering.

What app were you using when you got caught?

This didn't happen on the GS3 but while I was using my previous phone, the HTC Incredible S. I was using the stock Android tethering feature via the stock unbranded WWE rom. I did this last year some time after AT&T announced that they were going to "crack down" on people who tether without the proper data plan.

Thanks for the info about the ClockworkMod Tether app. I'll have to take a look at it to see if it's something I could use and avoid detection.

I recently upgraded to the S3 from a HTC Aria (Liberty). I ran CM6, CM7, and CM9 on the Liberty starting about a month after getting the phone till I replaced it. I did switch between USB and wireless tethering for the better part of my old contract. I did "abuse" the tethering often for various reasons, but never received a notification or letter from AT&T. This might be due to how the Cyanogen mods are setup or there might be something else that I'm missing there. This might be something to look into if it can translate over and help keep us under AT&T's radar.

Looking back at my data usage during those time the highest my data use was 2.5GB in a month, but my average monthly usage over the two years was 1.5GB. I am also still on the unlimited (grandfathered) data plans so I might not have tripped any flags which could be the reason for not hearing from AT&T.

V@no

Sep 24, 2007
Has anyone used this hack AFTER they received first warning from ATT for using other app?

Would android-wifi-tether tell on us AT&T users, even if we do NOT go over our data plan, or will we be receiving the AT&T letter to upgrade? Could this be the replacement for this hack?

Here's the link just in case: http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/
Download the APK in case they take it out of the Play Store (it's still there, BTW)

</HTH>
Yes, and most if not all apps available in the play store are known to ATT and they have means to detect them.
I've been using that wifi tether when got text message that my plan is about to be changed and I need call att for more information. When I called and played dumb, like I have no idea what they are talking about, the person I was talking gave me an example of about 10 app names that they detect, most of the names had nothing to do with tethering, and I never heard of them, but it proves that att aware of them too.
So as more popular the app is, as more chances it's going to be detected.

Last edited:

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
Has anyone used this hack AFTER they received first warning from ATT for using other app?

Yes, and most if not all apps available in the play store are known to ATT and they have means to detect them.
I've been using that wifi tether when got text message that my plan is about to be changed and I need call att for more information. When I called and played dumb, like I have no idea what they are talking about, the person I was talking gave me an example of about 10 app names that they detect, most of the names had nothing to do with tethering, and I never heard of them, but it proves that att aware of them too.
So as more popular the app is, as more chances it's going to be detected.

I don't believe that AT&T can detect any app that you're using. I've never heard of any way they can do that and I don't think that Google would have designed the Android OS to allow that. I think that they actually look at information in the data packets and figure out if you're tethering.

One way they can do that is to look at the browser id to see if it's something other than a mobile browser. Another way is to look at the TTL of the packets. If the TTL is other than the default for an Android device then it means that some other device sent those packets.

But they don't have the ability to look inside your phone to see what app you're using.

dj_spore

Nov 17, 2011
Is there any chance at getting a hack for LH9? I had to Odin back to get it to take the update and I just tried the current hack, but phone kept force Closing before it would fully boot. Thanks!

Zugshad

Jan 22, 2011
I tried this on mine thinking UCALEM and UCLEM were same just typo and bootloop, any chance any has link for one to work on UCLEM? Been searching and no luck, on Vaca and no access to my pc and need to get tethering working :(

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

shortydoggg

Apr 11, 2011
I tried this on mine thinking UCALEM and UCLEM were same just typo and bootloop, any chance any has link for one to work on UCLEM? Been searching and no luck, on Vaca and no access to my pc and need to get tethering working :(

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

They are the same build. One is just the modem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
Are there any plans to port this mod to the recently leaked I747UCALH1? This leak now includes the AllShare Cast option under "More Settings" and allows the phone to use the upcoming wifi hdmi adapter. I'd love to have AllShare Cast and tethering on my phone. If there is a diff file(s) of the changes/patches made for the tethering mod I'd be glad to attempt porting the mod myself this coming weekend. I've done haptic feedback patches for i9000 ports to the captivate before and don't imagine this should be much harder given the diffs of the hack on the original mod.

I agree, is there any work being done to get native tethering on ALH1? I use allshare cast also

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
I've been able to tether using Swiss and an Italian prepaid SIM cards, so far. Works great. I just wish I could use this with my AT&T service at home without having AT&T threaten me.

DamnCampers

Jul 29, 2010
For those that are curious tethering via usb does work with this as I tried it the other day. I did grab my old phone to check settings and it appears that my old phone was connecting via wap. I used the info from my old phone to setup wap and was using that when I was tethered. Is anyone familiar with how the packets might be different? As wap from what I understand is for hspa.

macbroom

This is the file I created which I wasn't given proper credit for and i do not appreciate clubtech or DrDrrae taking credit for my work. I was the first peson on XDA to provide this file due to another users request.

Cry me a river. This coming from the joker that ripped off Robeat's gTab rom and pershoot's kernel to get donations!! Credit...lol

The fact you say first to PROVIDE the file makes me think that you ripped it off from someone else and are trying to take the credit for it here!

Same old BS as before.....loser!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All credits of this hack goes to electron73 from THIS post.
    Thanks to DrDrrae for the CWM zip

This will remove all entitlement checks on the native wifi hotspot app and will enable the native Bluetooth tethering option which was removed by at&t.

*** I take no responsibility if this process bricks your device. please read the process CAREFULLY before attempting this***

***THIS IS ONLY FOR I747UCALEM BUILD. THIS WILL NOT WORK ON ANY OTHER BUILD AND WILL PREVENT YOUR DEVICE FROM BOOTING***

This process will prevent your device from booting if something goes wrong. Please make sure you do a nandroid backup BEFORE you do this. If you get stuck you will be able to restore.

What you need:

1) rooted device on the UCALEM build.
    2) CWM installed
    3) The below CWM flashable zip

How to install:

1) Do a nandroid backup - this is a must as we don't have an ODIN restore yet.
    2) Download the below modified flashable zip and place it on your internal SD.
    3) Reboot into recovery and flash the zip file
    4) Done
    5) You might need to re-login to your google account after doing this,

If your device does not boot after changing the file, restore from a nandroid backup and you should be fine.

LINK to CWM flashable zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?z198wxjqhexqqhy
    NEW: Link to CWM flashable zip with Cell standby fix: http://www.mediafire.com/?vsepya1lkgud8nt

Enjoy!
    Is there a hack version available for MJB?

I created a recovery installable patch for WiFi and bluetooth tethering that is working on my AT&T Galaxy SIII i747UCUEMJB ROM. I assume it will work on any MJB Rom, but I am not sure.

Feel free to download it and try. However, to be safe, make a copy of the "Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip" and change the name to something like "orig_no_tether.zip". Open this new zip and replace the framework-res.apk in the zip with the one from the /system/framework folder on your device. Copy both zips to your external sdcard. Flash the Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip and see if it works. If you have problems, you can always reboot to recovery and install the orig_no_tether.zip you created to restore your system to the way it was.

Link: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98345983/CM9%20for%20HP%20TouchPad%204G/Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip"

Respond back here to let others know if it worked for you.
    Cell Standby fix

Need a version with the cell standby fix also rolled in. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I added the cell-standby fix MOD from here to the cwm flashable zip file that OP had created. Download the new CWM flashable zip from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vsepya1lkgud8nt
    Android 4.4.2 Update

I created a new recovery installable patch to enable WiFi tethering for the the AT&T Galaxy S3 with the stock i747UCUFNE4 rom; it should work on any stock FNE4 Rom. Bluetooth tethering may also work with this patch, but I am not sure for all cases. This patch updates 'framework-res.apk' in your /system/framework folder.

As before, I recommend creating a backup patch using your original framework-res.apk. Make a copy of the patch file "Tether_i747UCUFNE4.zip" and change the name to something like "Orig_i747UCUFNE4.zip". Open this new zip (using Win-Zip or 7-zip) and replace 'framework-res.apk' with the one from the /system/framework folder on your device.

Copy both zips to your external sdcard. Re-boot to recovery, flash Tether_i747UCUFNE4.zip, re-boot, and verify that it works. If you have problems, you can always restore your system by rebooting to recovery and installing the Orig_i747UCUFNE4.zip.

Link: Tether_i747UCUFNE4.zip