Captivate random shuts down

Search This thread

fohdeesha

Jul 8, 2012
Indianapolis
www.fohdeesha.com
I want to propose a theory that could very well be incorrect and that I'm sure will be flamed to death but.....I think it may be related to the bootloaders.

My phone obviously came with 2.2, with the original 2.2 bootloaders. I had the random shutdown issue, it would just turn off completely, sometimes even while I was typing. I flashed rom after rom, no fix.

I finally used the i897 ucckk4 odin one click CONTAINS bootloaders odin package. This is obviously a master wipe and reset to 2.3.5 for your phone, but it will flash the absolute latest bootloaders. There is an odin package with JUST 2,3 bootloaders, however they are not the latest 2.3.5 bootloaders. There is a lot of talk of how horribly dangerous it is to flash bootloaders, but the package mentioned above obviously contains both primary and secondary bootloaders, no matter what is on your phone right now, as long as you use a reliable USB cable on a reliable computer when flashing the above package, you will be perfectly fine.

Using that one click will give you the latest BL's with a stock 2.3.5 rom. I then use Odin to flash a corn 2.3.5 kernel which gives you CWM. Then I use CWM to flash whatever rom I want, and now my phone is absolutely up to date.

After I flashed that package with the latest bootloaders, the shutdowns are absolutely gone - as in through the three rom's I've been messing with since flashing the 2.3.5 BL's, I haven't had a single shutdown. Before flashing BL's I tried every rom and kernel for the captivate I could find, but staying on 2.2 BL's, and the shutdown continued. Tried master wipes and one clicks, no difference. Try the one click mentioned above! Obviously you will have to reinstall your rom. if you're thinking you can find the one click with JUST the bootloaders so you don't have to reinstall your rom - don't bother, in every instance for me, upgrading bootloaders will confuse your rom and it will bootloop.

In my case, upgrading bootloaders made my shutdown issue disappear, but of course it could be an isolated case. My girlfriend also has a captivate, and she has the batch of captivates that will not let you access download mode. She has the random shutdowns so bad that it's driving her mad and she's ready to get an iPhone with her upgrade. I have read that the batch of phones with an inaccessible download mode is actually a slightly corrupt secondary bootloader. This leads me to believe even further that there is a link between bootloaders and stability/shutdown issues.

I have a USB jig on the way to get her phone into download mode, then I will flash the latest bootloaders, then probably a jellybean rom. I will report back if this fixes her shutdowns as well

Sorry for the lengthy post! Just wanted to share my findings

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Yeah flashing a GB BOOTLOADER made the trick for me too but for some people seems not to work. It is why is called a theory.

~ V

Sent from my Cappy powered with Jelly Bean using Tapatalk 2

fohdeesha

Jul 8, 2012
Indianapolis
www.fohdeesha.com
I'm curious if the people in which it did not work flashed the 2.3 bootloaders...not the newest 2.3.5

I flashed the 2.3 bootloaders and the problem persisted...It was not until I flashed the i897 ucckk4 2.3.5 BL's that the problem completely disappeared

If anyone of you are willing to flash the i897 ucckk4 CONTAINS bootloaders one click, please do so and report back!

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Jul 8, 2012
Indianapolis
www.fohdeesha.com
Ah interesting, I would think i9000 bootloaders on an i897 would CAUSE issues!

I put together a little package for anyone with an i897 captivate still having shutdown issues and is still frustrated. Give this a try, I have a feeling they will disappear.

Use this Odin one click to wipe/reset your phone to the latest official rom, uckk4. This one click INCLUDES the latest bootloaders ever released for our phone, both primary and secondary. These are the bootloaders that have made mine and others shutdown issue disappear. This is completely safe to one-click no matter what is on your phone right now, just use a reliable USB cable like with any other flash. No matter what state your phone is in, if you can get into download mode, this will wipe your phone to 2.3.5 with 2.3.5 bootloaders

http://fohdeesha.com/data/other/android/i897uckk4 with latest BL.zip

After you've done that, use this odin package to install CWM recovery for the stock 2.3.5 installation you now have

http://fohdeesha.com/data/other/android/uckk4 CWM recovery.zip

Now you can get into CWM and flash whatever rom you want! ICS, jellybean, whatever. And you now have the latest 2.3.5 bootloaders and your shutdown issue should be gone. I've done this several times to several captivates now with zero issues. I hope this helps someone!

eddie85u

Mar 27, 2012
Bogotham
I'll give your solution a try. Right now I'm using INFINITUM-LBR-V1.0.1-CAPPY, a rom I like very much, my shutdowns start appearing below 90% charge, and mostly when the phone is cold. Sometimes, with very low use, it can stay in my pocket the whole day and will reach 30% charge without shutting down, but if I leave it on a table or something, it will surely shut down, I must say that I live in a cold-ish city (Bogotá, Colombia) but it's not too cold, I mean, it has never snowed here.

Anyway, I'm gonna try this, so what I believe I should do, is the following:

Backup with TiBu
Download and use Odin (the one from fohdeesha)
Once I'm on GB 2.3.5 do I loose the root?
Anyway, I then flash the CMW
And from then I flash the rom twice (I read somewhere that is was better to flash the rom twice)
And restore TiBu backup.

That should be it, right?

fohdeesha

Jul 8, 2012
Indianapolis
www.fohdeesha.com
basically yes...I don't know how reliable your tibu restore will be since it will be restoring to a phone with different bootloaders which can sometimes alter how a kernel configures itself and installs I believe. If you're looking for a newer rom, I HIGHLY recommend helly bean. It is super fast, and super stable. The most actively developed and supported helly bean (perhaps all around) rom for our beloved captivate. I don't have any experience with that rom, there's a slight chance it could be causing your shutdowns. Do you know what kernel it uses?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1783064

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
I used to use infinitum LBR after I changed to the I9000 boot loader and never had issues, when I figured devil kernel was better I changed from stock glitch kernel to devil because with glitch kernel my phone was getting slow.

A tip: flash ROMs twice in a row (dirty flash) for sometime and see if that helps a bit.

I guess it will depend on other factors like phones serial. Mine is 1007 and changing bootloader fixed my phone.

~ V

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

eddie85u

Mar 27, 2012
Bogotham
I used to use infinitum LBR after I changed to the I9000 boot loader and never had issues, when I figured devil kernel was better I changed from stock glitch kernel to devil because with glitch kernel my phone was getting slow.

A tip: flash ROMs twice in a row (dirty flash) for sometime and see if that helps a bit.

I guess it will depend on other factors like phones serial. Mine is 1007 and changing bootloader fixed my phone.

~ V

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

I've also tried devil kernel and every one of it's governors with no luck. I tried your suggestion when you first posted it (i9000 bootloader) and I always flash a rom twice, but nothing has ever worked for me. :crying:

If you're looking for a newer rom, I HIGHLY recommend helly bean. It is super fast, and super stable. The most actively developed and supported helly bean (perhaps all around) rom for our beloved captivate.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1783064

I'm trying this rom, but now I can't get a signal... I have no imei, no nothing, and I followed your steps to the letter. This is getting really annoying. I used to solve the issue with Galaxy S Unlock, but now it doesn't even work by going back to the rom it used to work (going back to stock GB 2.3.5 first of course).

Last edited:
Reactions: fohdeesha

thecrazyman

Oct 21, 2012
Problem solved for me. . .Hopefully

My cousin gave me his AT&T Galaxy Captivate. I love its design knowing that it's Amoled and has 4inch screen! :D
However I experienced similar shutdowns and I'm so annoyed because if this problem continious, then this phone is totally NOT RELIABLE!
I almost threw the phone because of dissappointment but before doing so.. I thought I might need to look first for solutions before dumping this phone.
It's running jellybean custom rom and the battery percentage drops drasticaly. It stops charging when it reahces 94-96% then whenever i use the phone to play music or watch videos online, it shuts down upon reaching 45-60% battery! what the heck?! :eek:

When I turn it on, the battery says that it needs to be charged because it's down to 1-4%???!!! :crying:
I thought this is just a software glitch to I kept on changing roms but still the same. Even on standby mode, the battery drops fast so I have been charging it twice a day. Then, I removed the battery and noticed that it's a bit bloated and thought that this might be causing the problem so I went to the Mall and purhased an expensive samsung battery.
Then I noticed a big difference on its battery percentage. No shutdowns for the past 24hours and hopefully will continue like this :laugh:
But I will still monitor it's behavior. If symptoms persists, I'll call the doctor to hammer it down! haha

Last edited:

johnnyrichter

Jul 4, 2012
Missouri

I put together a little package for anyone with an i897 captivate still having shutdown issues and is still frustrated. Give this a try, I have a feeling they will disappear.

Use this Odin one click to wipe/reset your phone to the latest official rom, uckk4. This one click INCLUDES the latest bootloaders ever released for our phone, both primary and secondary. These are the bootloaders that have made mine and others shutdown issue disappear. This is completely safe to one-click no matter what is on your phone right now, just use a reliable USB cable like with any other flash. No matter what state your phone is in, if you can get into download mode, this will wipe your phone to 2.3.5 with 2.3.5 bootloaders

After you've done that, use this odin package to install CWM recovery for the stock 2.3.5 installation you now have

Now you can get into CWM and flash whatever rom you want! ICS, jellybean, whatever. And you now have the latest 2.3.5 bootloaders and your shutdown issue should be gone. I've done this several times to several captivates now with zero issues. I hope this helps someone!

Just did this and finished installing the few apps I use. Hopefully I'll be reporting back with good news.

FWIW, my SoDs were completely random. Sometimes I can install a new kernel and rom and get 2-4 days without one, then get a bunch in a day, then after that get 1-2 a day and almost always overnight while I'm asleep. I really hope this method fixes it for me because these sleep deaths are incredibly annoying.

johnnyrichter

Jul 4, 2012
Missouri
No dice. Seems like every time it idles it suffers a sleep death. At this point I may just see about getting an S2 or newer S1 cappy that had the issue fixed by Samsung.

dang3r1917

Jan 27, 2011
I just got my friend's captivate for free, but it's having random shut down issues. It's not SOD, because my own captivate use to experience that so I know how that goes. It literally just shuts down on it's own, as in I have to hold the power button to turn it back on. I've flashed LANIGHT v8 and v8.5, same thing. It's usually fine but when it sits in one place for a while, it turns off (like when sitting overnight, or just for a couple hours on a table). I was going to make a new thread for this but the title would have been exactly the same...but it's not an SOD issue. Any insight would be appreciated.

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
I just got my friend's captivate for free, but it's having random shut down issues. It's not SOD, because my own captivate use to experience that so I know how that goes. It literally just shuts down on it's own, as in I have to hold the power button to turn it back on. I've flashed LANIGHT v8 and v8.5, same thing. It's usually fine but when it sits in one place for a while, it turns off (like when sitting overnight, or just for a couple hours on a table). I was going to make a new thread for this but the title would have been exactly the same...but it's not an SOD issue. Any insight would be appreciated.

Read my post some pages back about to flash i9000 bootloader that was the only thing that really worked 100% not evne one SOD, good luck. I did try the latest suggestion of a user flashing the most recent bootloader for the cappy but still sometimes the phone shutdown by itself. So it's yet not a 100% cure at list for my phone so i went back to the i9000.

~ V

PeteSeiler2010

Aug 24, 2010
Mechanicsburg

I'm going to try this on my captivate, I had put it in my closet thinking it was useless! Big thank you!

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app

Aranen_Zen

May 11, 2010
Mine does this. Except I can reliably reproduce it. It does it anytime you keep the hotspot turned on for 10 minutes....unless you have the old keep captivate alive app running. Its done it forever, from stock but rooted 2.1, thru countless ROMs, now on cyanogen mod 10. It wilt do it if the screen is on though. I will be upgrading soon and basically it's become the way my nexus 7 had internet away from home but still annoying.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

RamblingBarba

Nov 27, 2012
Encarnacion
www.ramblingbarba.com
Battery bloated

My Cappy was suffering the random shutdown as well. I had great battery life and no charging problems. However, after doing a battery pull I found the back under some pressure when I put it back on. I pulled that battery out, placed on a hard smooth surface and found it had begun to bloat in the middle. I bought a new and it's been smooth sailing since. Maybe worth a look...

Aranen_Zen

May 11, 2010
Had that battery problem. Replaced it. Problem with 10 minute hotspot shut down persists. I finally found the solution. Got a Note 2 yesterday. ..:D:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

dozyaustin

Dec 12, 2010
I want to propose a theory that could very well be incorrect and that I'm sure will be flamed to death but.....I think it may be related to the bootloaders.

My phone obviously came with 2.2, with the original 2.2 bootloaders. I had the random shutdown issue, it would just turn off completely, sometimes even while I was typing. I flashed rom after rom, no fix.

I finally used the i897 ucckk4 odin one click CONTAINS bootloaders odin package. This is obviously a master wipe and reset to 2.3.5 for your phone, but it will flash the absolute latest bootloaders. There is an odin package with JUST 2,3 bootloaders, however they are not the latest 2.3.5 bootloaders. There is a lot of talk of how horribly dangerous it is to flash bootloaders, but the package mentioned above obviously contains both primary and secondary bootloaders, no matter what is on your phone right now, as long as you use a reliable USB cable on a reliable computer when flashing the above package, you will be perfectly fine.

Using that one click will give you the latest BL's with a stock 2.3.5 rom. I then use Odin to flash a corn 2.3.5 kernel which gives you CWM. Then I use CWM to flash whatever rom I want, and now my phone is absolutely up to date.

After I flashed that package with the latest bootloaders, the shutdowns are absolutely gone - as in through the three rom's I've been messing with since flashing the 2.3.5 BL's, I haven't had a single shutdown. Before flashing BL's I tried every rom and kernel for the captivate I could find, but staying on 2.2 BL's, and the shutdown continued. Tried master wipes and one clicks, no difference. Try the one click mentioned above! Obviously you will have to reinstall your rom. if you're thinking you can find the one click with JUST the bootloaders so you don't have to reinstall your rom - don't bother, in every instance for me, upgrading bootloaders will confuse your rom and it will bootloop.

In my case, upgrading bootloaders made my shutdown issue disappear, but of course it could be an isolated case. My girlfriend also has a captivate, and she has the batch of captivates that will not let you access download mode. She has the random shutdowns so bad that it's driving her mad and she's ready to get an iPhone with her upgrade. I have read that the batch of phones with an inaccessible download mode is actually a slightly corrupt secondary bootloader. This leads me to believe even further that there is a link between bootloaders and stability/shutdown issues.

I have a USB jig on the way to get her phone into download mode, then I will flash the latest bootloaders, then probably a jellybean rom. I will report back if this fixes her shutdowns as well

Sorry for the lengthy post! Just wanted to share my findings

OK .. I remember being on I9000 and also on GB bootloaders and did not get SoD, but the system was super unstable.

Then I went back to stock Eclair and updated to CM9 and then CM10. I am supe stable, but have SoD in the morning right after I unplug the charger. Then they go away.

The thing is, CM10 has GB and then ICS bootloaders, right? The Bootloader image and kernel image still show AT&T, so I am a little skeptical, but I thought I replaced the bootloaders when upgrading to CM9. Throughts?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

OK .. I remember being on I9000 and also on GB bootloaders and did not get SoD, but the system was super unstable.

Then I went back to stock Eclair and updated to CM9 and then CM10. I am supe stable, but have SoD in the morning right after I unplug the charger. Then they go away.

The thing is, CM10 has GB and then ICS bootloaders, right? The Bootloader image and kernel image still show AT&T, so I am a little skeptical, but I thought I replaced the bootloaders when upgrading to CM9. Throughts?

CM10 doesn't flash bootloaders. You'll know which bootloaders you're on with your boot screen (I897 or I9000).

In my sig, there's the link for the I9000 BLs if you wanna try them (at your own risk). Although, a couple other things can be checked first: Do you have Deep Idle on? Do you OC?

Also, you can try to up your min Mhz to 200 (from 100).
    Hi, I followed your suggestion of flashing the I9000 bootloader. My phone now gets past the Samsung Galaxy S screen but right after that it goes straight to CMW recovery.

EDIT: No matter what ROM I currently have flashed. (Currently flashing 4.2.1 prenightly CM10.1)

Having the I9000 bootloaders won't work for everyone and there are quite a few things you can do before flashing them, which I believe were mentioned earlier in this thread.
    So with the sod and the speaker problem I think our phones sucks, after changing them no one will want them so It will be with us FOREVER :)
    After having SO MANY Sleep deaths on hellybean 4.2.1 my phone was like impossible to use without being connected to the charger, so I went back to stock with heimdall one click uckb2 and unfortunaly tried to flash bootloaders. Operation went wrong, but I still can enter download mode pretty easy, flashed again without bootloaders but device won't boot. And also, tried to flash stock 2.3.5 with odin but windows 8 did not recognize the device (samsung drivers already installed) what a cappy mess!!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1953930 for your connection problem.

Also, you will need to flash bootloaders, Odin KK4 with bootloaders is what you'll need.
    Edit: May/7 seems flashing the i9000 BL was a good idea, so far i have fully charged my phone twice and it did not shutdown, i've had no random reboots nor SOD at all. I'll keep testing.

-----------------------------------------------

Just for an update i think the i9000 bootloader will work i still need to test at list a week but if anyone else wants to try, i have read alot about this issue and people including devs have recommended it:

Here so useful info i have found:

Link to flash I9000 jvt bootloader and Odin:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23524416&postcount=916

Link for when using odin you get setting up connection.. which after unplug usb cable and re-starting in Download mode you get Firmware upgrade fail instead:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23171530&postcount=3

... yes i thought i had bricked my device (again) but thankfully i did not :cool:

NOTE: THERE IS NO NEED TO RUN ODIN AS "run as administrator" AND ALSO IF YOU ARE ON ICS/MIUI/CM7 ROM AS I WAS YOU MUST GO BACK TO STOCK, I PERSONALLY USED THIS ROM TO GO BACK TO 2.3.5 STOCK USING HEIMDALL (ROM WITHOUT BOOTLOADER SO IS SAFER).
    ONCE YOU'RE IN STOCK IT'S BETTER IF YOU INSTALL Kies THAT WAY YOU'RE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT DRIVERS FOR STOCK (A RESTART AFTER INSTALLATION IS A MUST) SO YOU HAVE LESS CHANCE TO MESS UP USING ODIN.

So there you have it IF you want to test by yourself and not to wait for feedback after 4-5 days maybe a week of test for my/others part.

Ah and just in case another workaround i have find if your ROM have NS tools:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23383832&postcount=116

PS: If you need any driver just PM me, honestly this forum is a mess and even though im good with Android stuffs this is the first time i have trouble with a device (captivate) it has been a nightmare lol. So at this point i have researched alot and also it was a pain in the butt find the nexus S drivers to get adb working when i flashed ICS and not because i did not search for them but because all kind of reputable links were down or not working BUT i ended up finding the correct drivers.

~ Veronica