[ROM][JB] Team EOS 3 *JELLYBEAN* Nightlies - Stingray / MZ602 / US 4G ONLY

98 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,484

By teameos, Inactive Recognized Developer on 11th July 2012, 04:29 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
16th August 2012, 05:21 PM |#1181  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Since flashing 128 i have had my xoom go into a stuck state twice where it looks like it has gone into standby but wont wake up and gets hot like it is running something while i. In that state. Only way to wake it has been a reboot. Anything you need me to look at?

16th August 2012, 06:02 PM |#1182  
Flag Oregon
Thanks Meter: 102

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

Embarassed should not enter into your head unless you hadn't found it! LOL

Nice to hear Linaro has been incorporated now if Goo could just get thier upgrade done and make your life easier! LOL

I would have to second that, you guys are doing developmental builds to create fantastic ROM's, there are gonna be kinks to be worked out. Keep up the great work guys!!!!

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave240

Since flashing 128 i have had my xoom go into a stuck state twice where it looks like it has gone into standby but wont wake up and gets hot like it is running something while i. In that state. Only way to wake it has been a reboot. Anything you need me to look at?

I personally am sticking with 127 til Kcrudrup tells me which .zip he wants me to try, or sends me a fastboot image. 127 Has been the most stable of the bunch for me so far, and all good things come to those who wait
The Following User Says Thank You to Draxin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Draxin Ad-Free
16th August 2012, 06:15 PM |#1183  

More
[QUOTE

I personally am sticking with 127 til Kcrudrup tells me which .zip he wants me to try, or sends me a fastboot image. 127 Has been the most stable of the bunch for me so far, and all good things come to those who wait [/QUOTE]
Naw. I have been a beta tester since win95 and love trying out what the devs release. They need the feedback so they can fix what is found. But i understand wanting to stay with what works too. just a personal decision.
16th August 2012, 09:46 PM |#1184  
Flag San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 745

More
Quote:

Since flashing 128 i have had my xoom go into a stuck state twice where it looks like it has gone into standby but wont wake up and gets hot like it is running something while in that state. Only way to wake it has been a reboot. Anything you need me to look at?

<grumble>

Yeah ... next time this happens, if you have "adb" can you do:
Code:
adb shell vmstat
for about a minute or two and send me that output? I know exactly what happened, I'll bet- you were caught up in an "I/O Storm", and the machine never got to service your PowerOn request before the screen-off timer kicked in (so the screen never came on). Your machine was probably running just fine, otherwise.

The other thing I'm working on lately is fixing lag caused by a combination of our using a relatively-older kernel (2.6.39.4), our slow EMMC flash disk, and believe it or not, not enough RAM (732MB isn't really enough anymore as the size of the OS and Apps increase to fill the vacuum).

Have you noticed that when the Xoom first boots, everything is so fast, then after a while, things start to slow down? Well, what's happening is that when RAM begins to fill with Apps, libraries and disk data, the system does what it can to page out memory that's not needed (disk-cache data that hasn't been used in a while, parts of programs that haven't been executed in a while (which can be reloaded from disk if necessary) and if all else fails, there's a "low-memory-(app)-killer" that runs in the kernel and forcibly shuts down apps (this is the reason why sometimes you'll switch back to a large-memory-footprint app like the Browser, and the tabs will all have to reload).

A lot of that involves what's called "paging" back and forth from the EMMC flash disk. When the stale data gets written out, we're doing writes to the flash filesystem- and those operations can take a LONG time (relative to the speed of reads, and of the CPU) and because of the way the flash disk works, while that slow write is happening, no reads (which are a lot faster) can run- so when the memory starts to get full of running programs (and/or is doing a lot of I/O (especially write I/O)) the system ends up slowing down:

- dirty data is being written out, while
- new programs (or parts of programs that were paged out and now need to run) are being read in, while
- the system is spending CPU cycles trying to scan memory and free blocks

so we end up in a condition called "thrashing". I've been spending a LOT of time trying to reduce this as much as I can: I've been working on doing ANYTHING I can to get the write thruput up, and have been tweaking both the V(irtual) M(emory) parameters and the I/O Scheduler parameters in an effort to keep the number of random writes down, to prioritize reads over writes, and to avoid "I/O Storms", where we spend a lot of time hitting the flash disk.

it's a lot of work, mostly due to the limitations of the device and kernel I have to work with, but it's coming along. Unfortunately, it still hits me, too (I can't run "Google Earth" with Hi-Res images and sync "Google Currents" at the same time without running into the same issue you do) but I'm making progress- I've got unreleased patches that are working much better than stock, and as soon as I'm satisfied with them, they'll go into a nightly.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kcrudup For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kcrudup Ad-Free
16th August 2012, 10:03 PM |#1185  

More
Awesome explanation ! I will do adb if it happens again.
17th August 2012, 06:56 AM |#1186  
Thanks Meter: 488

More
Anyone able to get Google music working on these nightlies? I can get a "play library" widget with options like "my library/videos/play store/etc" but when I choose the Google music headphones icon I get "play store has stopped" message every time and the widget is then completely unresponsive? I've tried deleting the app and side loading the apk but it won't install and the play store itself says Google music is not installed but then gets an error when I try to install it? Sorry for asking again guys but I love me some music and with EOS roms there's so little to complain about I thought I'd ask! Lol

If I happen to be of help to you, please hit THANKS, as I have low self-esteem and crave validation! Running TEAM EOS ICS
17th August 2012, 11:17 AM |#1187  
Thanks Meter: 148

More
Sorry but I am not having issues. On 128

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Moricon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Moricon Ad-Free
17th August 2012, 12:51 PM |#1188  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittoking

Anyone able to get Google music working on these nightlies? I can get a "play library" widget with options like "my library/videos/play store/etc" but when I choose the Google music headphones icon I get "play store has stopped" message every time and the widget is then completely unresponsive? I've tried deleting the app and side loading the apk but it won't install and the play store itself says Google music is not installed but then gets an error when I try to install it? Sorry for asking again guys but I love me some music and with EOS roms there's so little to complain about I thought I'd ask! Lol

If I happen to be of help to you, please hit THANKS, as I have low self-esteem and crave validation! Running TEAM EOS ICS

I had heard of a couple of others with this issue and a search turned up your posts but also someone else who fixed theirs by deleting the updates to play. Take a look at post #606. Hope it helps
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdave240 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bigdave240 Ad-Free
17th August 2012, 02:04 PM |#1189  
Thanks Meter: 488

More
Quote:

I had heard of a couple of others with this issue and a search turned up your posts but also someone else who fixed theirs by deleting the updates to play. Take a look at post #606. Hope it helps

Thanks for the response. I too saw that post but when viewing my apps in settings I'm not given the choice to remove updates to the play store? I can force stop/disable (which I did with no luck trying the widget then)/clear data/cache. Tried all of the aforementioned options to no avail though. I'm currently on 128 running the latest gapps from 7/26 I believe. I hesitate wiping the entire device and starting over because of the A: amount of games/data and apps installed and B: I don't really see how wiping would fix the issue technically? Thanks again for the response(s)

17th August 2012, 02:35 PM |#1190  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittoking

Thanks for the response. I too saw that post but when viewing my apps in settings I'm not given the choice to remove updates to the play store? I can force stop/disable (which I did with no luck trying the widget then)/clear data/cache. Tried all of the aforementioned options to no avail though. I'm currently on 128 running the latest gapps from 7/26 I believe. I hesitate wiping the entire device and starting over because of the A: amount of games/data and apps installed and B: I don't really see how wiping would fix the issue technically? Thanks again for the response(s)

The latest gapps is 802. http://goo.im/devs/teameos/roms/eos3 save that as a shortcut and you can easily get to gapps or nightlies. I wonder if you need to format \system then reload gapps. You could (and should!) do a nandroid backup the a factory reset to see if it clears your issue. You would then at least know it is something that got corrupted and could either go back to the nandroid you saved or reload your stuff and move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdave240 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bigdave240 Ad-Free
17th August 2012, 04:02 PM |#1191  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
*scratch scratch* so uh... I've had two mornings of no rom flashes *scratch scratch* what gives? *scratch scratch scratch*

Sovereign
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread