FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Testers needed - latest busybox compiled for Android

54 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By foxdie, Member on 15th December 2008, 08:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
PLEASE NOTE: THIS THREAD IS NOW OBSOLETE, BUSYBOX COMES WITH JUST ABOUT EVERY COOKED ROM

Hi all,

This is my first attempt at compiling anything for the android platform. My reason for doing this is whilst the busybox version does what we need it to do when rooting our HTC Dream's / G1's, as an everyday app it fails because it segfaults all the time.

This isn't a dig at Benno because to be honest, he's a bit of a hero for compiling it the first time round, without him it would have been a lot harder (if not impossible) to root our G1's.

Problem is, his version of busybox was compiled over a year ago (14 nov 2007 if his blog is anything to go by) and segfaults quite a lot (probably because it wasn't compiled for the G1, but more for the Android emulator), particularly if you try and do "ls -al"..

So what I've done is I've compiled the latest stable version of busybox (1.13.1 as of 14 December 2008) for the G1, I've tested this on my own G1 and it seems to work fine, but I could do with some help extensively testing it.

You can grab it here (for G1: long press -> save, for other browsers: right click -> save as / save target)

Installation Instructions:
  1. Download the above file to your G1, it should be saved as /sdcard/download/busybox2.asc
    (if you downloaded it with the G1 browser that is, otherwise please copy it to your G1's SD card to that exact path / name)
  2. Remount your /system partition with this command:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
  3. Copy the busybox binary into the /system/bin/ folder by running this command:
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/download/busybox2.asc of=/system/bin/busybox
  4. Set the busybox binary as executable with suid bit by running this:
    Code:
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
  5. Remount your /system/bin partition as read only again (unless you want to create more shortcuts) by doing the following:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
And thats it! Please test it as thoroughly as you can and let me know in this post if you have any problems

Ps. I take no responsibility for any damage that occurs directly or indirectly from using this program. Although I will try and make amends if something doesn't work as expected, you must acknowledge that you are solely responsible for your actions when modifying the filesystem of your G1.

15th December 2008, 09:41 AM |#2  
OP Member
Flag Birmingham

More
Please note, this version is compiled as follows:

* It is compiled against regular libC so is 1.8MB big
* It is compiled with the soft links options

I'm investigating compiling it against uClibC to get the size down dramatically, and compiling it with a seperate set of options so it auto-identifies when to use itself when you're shell is busybox sh.
15th December 2008, 11:59 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Appears to have installed alright! Haven't had a chance to test it out otherwise, but I'll let you know if my phone explodes.
15th December 2008, 03:30 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Excellent going through it now!!! :)

Thank you!
16th December 2008, 05:47 PM |#5  
Flag megalopolis
Thanks Meter: 5

More
anybody else get
Code:
/system/bin/busybox: write error: no space left on device, 1045+0 records in , 1044+0 records out, then the speed stats
Im just gonna chmod it anyway, I wonder which file it forgot?

man all my G1 hack went smooth till I tried the market cache move, i got 1 file and 100 force closes, tried moving them back to no avail..HARD RESET, now I messed up this one somehow, Its par for my course these days, f'it...

bhang

edit:
I reran the "dd" command after I freed up almost a meg and it output same write error: no space left on device 1+0 records in 0+0 out, looks like it copied the last file I missed in the first run? do I need to chmod everything again since I dunno which 1 of the files it may have been..

on second thought 'dd' looks like it may have realized it only needed the 1 file but still needed more room cause 0+0 out, I dunno im confused any advice?
16th December 2008, 06:27 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
good work
installed successfully. so far no problems. does this new version contain commands not found in the previous versions, ie/ the version JesusFreke used in modified rc30 v1.2 (Sauriks' version from here: http://www.telesphoreo.org/pipermail.../000032.html)?

edit: just realized that the previous ver i had installed was 1.12.2 (2008-11-16)
16th December 2008, 10:34 PM |#7  
Flag San Tan Valley, Arizona
Thanks Meter: 13

More
I think JesusFreke was compiling the bionic version last night. Might wanna check on that before you spend your time doing if it you have not already.
17th December 2008, 12:54 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrift

I think JesusFreke was compiling the bionic version last night. Might wanna check on that before you spend your time doing if it you have not already.

uninstall is just as easy as installing
-beers!
17th December 2008, 07:35 AM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Birmingham

More
Bhang, have you installed anything else on your /system partition bar the stock files?

I'm working on a solution at the moment that moves all this to the /data partition to provide some more usability. For now I suggest you delete busybox from /system/bin/ so you don't fill up your /system partition.
26th January 2009, 02:51 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
syntax?
I could not quite get this to work as stated. I am no command line expert, so I guessed at what might work. I did the following:

Instead of this:
mount -o remount, rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

I did this:
mount -o remount, -rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

At the last I did this:
mount -o remount, -r /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Then I rebooted. Everything seems fine. I looked up some busybox commands, but they don't seem to do anything. Any way to know for sure?
26th January 2009, 04:31 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
my bad, it works!
Excuse a noob, I didn't know you had to type "busybox" in front of the command...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)