Votes: 14 24.1%
  • TWRP

Votes: 32 55.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

kyokeun1234

Sep 25, 2011
Niagara Falls ON Canada
If you are a root user, you probably know what recoveries are, and you probably know what CWM and TWRP are. If you don't, please Google it, since this thread isn't about what recovery is...

I've been using CWM since my first Android device, Nexus S. However, after I switched to Galaxy Nexus, I've noticed this new recovery, which was TWRP, Team Win Recovery Project (Correct me if I'm wrong :)).

Since I've used both as my daily recovery, I thought it'll be helpful for people to create a thread that compares these two :)

TWRP:
twrp-220.jpg

CWM:
clockworkmod-touch.jpg

These are version of recovery that I'm going to compare:
CWM version 6.0.1.0 Touch version for Galaxy Nexus
TWRP 2.2 for Galaxy Nexus

UI

Let's start with User Interface of these two recoveries. TWRP offers this fresh look that is not only easy to use, but also very intuitive. It has these big, yet polished buttons that makes using it a pleasure. I personally think that the UI is one of the strongest points of TWRP. CWM, on the other hand is just simple. It is just lines of options. For some, this might be great, but for a lot of people, including myself, it just not polished.

Navigation

Navigation is probably one of the most important elements of recoveries. TWRP offers really great navigation. Its "Swipe to Confirm" is one of my favorite, since this reduces the chance of flashing or wiping by mistake. It also offers this Back and Home button, which looks very familiar. CWM offers just easy-to-use navigation. That's it. Nothing too complicated. I find CWM to be just pick-it-up and flash kind of recovery.

Features

Now this is where TWRP shines big time. It offers soooooo many to the table than CWM. It has built in keyboard for naming backups and such. It has built in terminal, which can be pretty useful. It has built-in battery indicator and time, which is really handy. It also has built in file manager. It does all that with "basic features" such as flashing zip, factory resetting, mounting, and backup and restore. CWM just offers basic featues, nothing more. Of course, not a lot of people are gonna use terminal or file manager on recovery, but it is good to have a choice.

Compatibility

This is where CWM shines big time. Since, CWM was the only recovery until TWRP showed up, every mod and ROM is designed for CWM. Of course, since I am comparing Touch version, I have to mention that handful of mods doesn't work on CWM touch and only works on non-touch. This doesn't mean TWRP is only compatible with handful of mods. TWRP also works on most of the mods, but if there's a mod that you really want but only works on CWM, that can be a real pain in the rear end. Also I don't know if this also happens on other devices, but for Galaxy Nexus, if you want to flash stock ROM from Google developer site, TWRP won't let you.

Verdict

So which one is better? That's your personal opinion. Plus, I didn't create this thread to say which one is the best. I only created this thread so you guys know what each recoveries is right for you. I personally find CWM to be a little more stable and I find that CWM just works. However, TWRP offers these new and fresh features that advanced, and even just basic users and appreciate, but I still find that TWRP needs to work on some parts.

So which recovery do you use? I would like to know ;)

Habarug

Feb 23, 2011
Bergen
I use TWRP for pretty much one reason only, it can mount through USB, which cwm can't do on the one s. Other than that I don't really find much difference in use, except that naming backups directly from recovery is nice :)

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

kyokeun1234

Sep 25, 2011
Niagara Falls ON Canada
I use TWRP for pretty much one reason only, it can mount through USB, which cwm can't do on the one s. Other than that I don't really find much difference in use, except that naming backups directly from recovery is nice :)

Oh there's no mount option on one s? You positive? Clockworkmod touch on galaxy nexus has that feature under mount I think. I can use adb to push files to the sdcard directory :)

Swyped on my Galaxy Nexus running AOKP nightly with Franco Kernel, overclocked to 1.4GHz

Habarug

Feb 23, 2011
Bergen
Oh there's no mount option on one s? You positive? Clockworkmod touch on galaxy nexus has that feature under mount I think. I can use adb to push files to the sdcard directory :)

Swyped on my Galaxy Nexus running AOKP nightly with Franco Kernel, overclocked to 1.4GHz

It's there, it's just that it does not work :p at least it did not work. I switched to twrp because of this and have never found a reason to switch back. On some units twrp also makes you able to flash boot through recovery (we don't have s off) but that doesn't work on mine.

kyokeun1234

Sep 25, 2011
Niagara Falls ON Canada
It's there, it's just that it does not work :p at least it did not work. I switched to twrp because of this and have never found a reason to switch back. On some units twrp also makes you able to flash boot through recovery (we don't have s off) but that doesn't work on mine.

Haha ok :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app

visinacgile

Jul 7, 2009
Hello there !

I got question which could be silly for most of you but I really appreciate if someone would be nice to clear that for me.

When I want to do nandroid backup in clockworkmode recovery, everything is clean and simple. And backup folder is quite small. e.g. For Haier w910 that folder is about 25mb. And everything is saved. I can do wipe data formating and when I want back my earlier rom he is there with all settings and customisations.

When I try same thing to do through TWRP (on Huawei g510) I get few options for backuping. But if I want to backup all system and data and rom, TWRP shows me about 850mb.

Is there any options in TWRP to do nandroid backup of all system like in CWM Recovery ?

Thanks infront !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are a root user, you probably know what recoveries are, and you probably know what CWM and TWRP are. If you don't, please Google it, since this thread isn't about what recovery is...

I've been using CWM since my first Android device, Nexus S. However, after I switched to Galaxy Nexus, I've noticed this new recovery, which was TWRP, Team Win Recovery Project (Correct me if I'm wrong :)).

Since I've used both as my daily recovery, I thought it'll be helpful for people to create a thread that compares these two :)

TWRP:
    twrp-220.jpg

CWM:
    clockworkmod-touch.jpg

These are version of recovery that I'm going to compare:
    CWM version 6.0.1.0 Touch version for Galaxy Nexus
    TWRP 2.2 for Galaxy Nexus

UI

Let's start with User Interface of these two recoveries. TWRP offers this fresh look that is not only easy to use, but also very intuitive. It has these big, yet polished buttons that makes using it a pleasure. I personally think that the UI is one of the strongest points of TWRP. CWM, on the other hand is just simple. It is just lines of options. For some, this might be great, but for a lot of people, including myself, it just not polished.

Navigation

Navigation is probably one of the most important elements of recoveries. TWRP offers really great navigation. Its "Swipe to Confirm" is one of my favorite, since this reduces the chance of flashing or wiping by mistake. It also offers this Back and Home button, which looks very familiar. CWM offers just easy-to-use navigation. That's it. Nothing too complicated. I find CWM to be just pick-it-up and flash kind of recovery.

Features

Now this is where TWRP shines big time. It offers soooooo many to the table than CWM. It has built in keyboard for naming backups and such. It has built in terminal, which can be pretty useful. It has built-in battery indicator and time, which is really handy. It also has built in file manager. It does all that with "basic features" such as flashing zip, factory resetting, mounting, and backup and restore. CWM just offers basic featues, nothing more. Of course, not a lot of people are gonna use terminal or file manager on recovery, but it is good to have a choice.

Compatibility

This is where CWM shines big time. Since, CWM was the only recovery until TWRP showed up, every mod and ROM is designed for CWM. Of course, since I am comparing Touch version, I have to mention that handful of mods doesn't work on CWM touch and only works on non-touch. This doesn't mean TWRP is only compatible with handful of mods. TWRP also works on most of the mods, but if there's a mod that you really want but only works on CWM, that can be a real pain in the rear end. Also I don't know if this also happens on other devices, but for Galaxy Nexus, if you want to flash stock ROM from Google developer site, TWRP won't let you.

Verdict

So which one is better? That's your personal opinion. Plus, I didn't create this thread to say which one is the best. I only created this thread so you guys know what each recoveries is right for you. I personally find CWM to be a little more stable and I find that CWM just works. However, TWRP offers these new and fresh features that advanced, and even just basic users and appreciate, but I still find that TWRP needs to work on some parts.

So which recovery do you use? I would like to know ;)