FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

OTA Update available now with Android 4.0.4 & Sense 4.1, next Jelly Bean & Sense 4+ ?

465 posts
Thanks Meter: 58

By surfer1000, Senior Member on 18th June 2012, 11:16 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
20th August 2012, 11:12 AM |#2771  
Thanks Meter: 137

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart0001

The only side effect is your data will be reset.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

And this is what we use to backup without root:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1581653

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to vincepg13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vincepg13 Ad-Free

20th August 2012, 11:13 AM |#2772  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagemda

the RUU is the official HTC software that comes withing a .exe file. No side effect, doesn't mess with warranty because it's all official. Worst case and worst case the RUU will give an error and the phone will simply reboot and nothing more. It's not like root or install via recovery or things like that. So don't worry

Oh right, sounds ok then. Could you provide me with a link to the official software please? And is there somewhere that provides a step by step idiots guide on how I install it.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
20th August 2012, 11:25 AM |#2773  
Liverpuuuuuuuuuul :)
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by debrancherenzym

Okay...here's a question...How much should i wait for the OTA, literally and rationally, before trying an RUU....i mean what should be the threshold date from experience cz i am new on Android and HoX has been with me for just 2 months....I have a UK HoX

I am not sure anyone's opinion matters here. I would probably say that one waits no more than a week as it clearly cannot be technical glitches. Any more and it might be for other reasons as mentioned on this long thread. Otherwise you are free to go from the moment you can get hold of a RUU. Tell you what, I used the RUU within the hour that Football uploaded it. I had backed up some necessary bits knowing that the RUU would be around.

So there is no such thing as literally or rationally. Either you do or you don't or for branded devices, you can't.

Go by the experiences of the guys that have flashed the new RUU and how better the HOX has got from then on. If its going to be a better device and if you can backup and restore your settings, then what's stopping anyone really? Your call!
The Following User Says Thank You to s1977 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s1977 Ad-Free
20th August 2012, 11:32 AM |#2774  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
I had never installed a ruu, but it's something that sounds far worse when written in text than when you actually do it. It's as easy as installing software on to a pc. You just turn on USB debugging in settings/developer opinions, connect your phone to a pc, then click on the ruu icon and follow the instructions, ie click "next" a couple of times, then just let it work its magic and in five mins you are updated!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to forceware For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift forceware Ad-Free
20th August 2012, 11:38 AM |#2775  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Simple guide to RUU install
I used the RUU to update. I'm not at all technically competent but found it so easy. Only just moved over from the simplicity of iPhone and never dared trying to jailbreak that. Was a bit worried about doing it as there were a few things I had to google to find out how to do.

I must say its no exaggeration that this update is superb (the only thing I can't comment on is battery life yet) Having also owned a Galaxy s3 my HTC one X felt sluggish at times in comparison but this is all a thing of the past. There is no doubt that it reflects the new Quadrant scores. This has done to the phone what I expected Jelly Bean to do.Now seems just as fast and responsive as my iPhone 4s but with the added functionality of android so I'm well chuffed.

Guide for those less technical people like me

1. Download the RUU (see a Dropbox link on the second post from this page of forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1840956). Save it to anywhere on your computer that is convenient for you to find.
2. Power off the handset
3. Power it back on by holding the power button and (Volume down) button at the same time. The 3 buttons below the screen will flash to indicate you are doing it correctly
4. You now enter a boot menu and if you push the volume button down you will highlight Fastboot
5. Now press the power button to select this option. You will then be presented with some further options but don't worry about selecting any of these.
6. Plug in the USB and connect phone to PC, it should now say Fastboot via USB in the list of information. (No need to try and highlight this but a sign it's all is good)
7. Run the file on your computer and you will be presented with the official software, it will check that you have over a third of battery power and that you want to upgrade the firmware.

You won't lose contact details, music, photos etc but I did lose text messages and my apps. Some people have mentioned you can use save and restore programs from the Playstore. I just went back to my apps in Playstore and just installed from there. Took about 15 minutes to complete the process of the RUU install listed above and then an hour of installing my 90 apps/ organising folders and widgets etc but was well worth it.

It's an official piece of software you are running so it is a proper installer and keeps you fully informed of progress, beforehand I was really worried about bricking my phone but the only way you could risk that is if your battery ran out during install so do make sure you have adequate charge.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Billboy80 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Billboy80 Ad-Free
20th August 2012, 11:42 AM |#2776  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billboy80

I used the RUU to update. I'm not at all technically competent but found it so easy. Only just moved over from the simplicity of iPhone and never dared trying to jailbreak that. Was a bit worried about doing it as there were a few things I had to google to find out how to do.

I must say its no exaggeration that this update is superb (the only thing I can't comment on is battery life yet) Having also owned a Galaxy s3 my HTC one X felt sluggish at times in comparison but this is all a thing of the past. *There is no doubt that it reflects the new Quadrant scores. This has done to the phone what I expected Jelly Bean to do.Now seems just as fast and responsive as my iPhone 4s but with the added functionality of android so I'm well chuffed.

Guide for those less technical people like me*

1. Download the RUU (see a Dropbox link on *the second post from this page of forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1840956). Save it to a anywhere on your computer that is convenient for you to find.
2. Power off the handset*
3. Power it back on by holding the*power button and (Volume down) button at the same time. The 3 buttons below the screen will flash to indicate you are doing it correctly
4. You now enter a boot menu and if you push the volume button down you will highlight Fastboot
5. Now press the power button to select this option. You will then be presented with some further options but don't worry about selecting any of these.
6. Plug in the USB and connect phone to PC, *it should now say Fastboot via USB in the list of information. (No need to try and highlight this but a sign it's all is good)
7. Run the file on your computer and you will be presented with the official software, it will check that you have over a third of battery power and that you want to upgrade the firmware.*

You won't lose contact details, music, photos etc but I did lose text messages and my apps. Some people have mentioned you can use save and restore programs from the Playstore. I just went back to my apps in Playstore and just installed from there. Took about 15 minutes to complete the process of the RUU install listed above and then an hour of installing my 90 apps/ organising folders and widgets etc but was well worth it.

It's an official piece of software you are running so it is a proper installer and keeps you fully informed of progress, beforehand I was really worried about bricking my phone but the only way you could risk that is if your battery ran out during install so do make sure you have adequate charge.

Billboy80 took the initiative before me, good beginers guide
20th August 2012, 11:46 AM |#2777  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
asia wwe just waitting for a long time...
20th August 2012, 12:13 PM |#2778  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinabc

asia wwe just waitting for a long time...

Asia is the bitch market. And HTC claims they want to focus their future on Asian markets....
20th August 2012, 12:14 PM |#2779  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Lightbulb
Would have posted in the appropriate thread but strange noob intolerance here forces me to stay out of the official thread where the developer posts.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone who has gotten the Update to 4.0.4 has tried BubbleUPnP? I'm curious if the wifi disconnect (yet still indicate connection) after sleep with BubbleUPnP is still an issue?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=994
20th August 2012, 01:09 PM |#2780  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wirral
Thanks Meter: 58

More
I thought today would be the day for UK users, but seems no such luck...AGAIN!
20th August 2012, 01:20 PM |#2781  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billboy80

I must say its no exaggeration that this update is superb (the only thing I can't comment on is battery life yet) Having also owned a Galaxy s3 my HTC one X felt sluggish at times in comparison but this is all a thing of the past. There is no doubt that it reflects the new Quadrant scores. This has done to the phone what I expected Jelly Bean to do.Now seems just as fast and responsive as my iPhone 4s but with the added functionality of android so I'm well chuffed.

Guide for those less technical people like me

1. Download the RUU (see a Dropbox link on the second post from this page of forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1840956). Save it to anywhere on your computer that is convenient for you to find.
2. Power off the handset
3. Power it back on by holding the power button and (Volume down) button at the same time. The 3 buttons below the screen will flash to indicate you are doing it correctly
6. Plug in the USB and connect phone to PC, it should now say Fastboot via USB in the list of information. (No need to try and highlight this but a sign it's all is good)
7. Run the file on your computer and you will be presented with the official software, it will check that you have over a third of battery power and that you want to upgrade the firmware.

Thanks very much for taking the time to write this guide, its just what I was looking for. I'll give it a try when I get home from work. Just one more question...if this is the official software, why doesn't everyone do this and why do HTC bother with OTA updates? Surely it would be easier for HTC to send out the update this way???? Or am I missing something?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Camel Chops For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Camel Chops Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread